Skip to main content
Topic: Blackstone Labs oil test (Read 165 times) previous topic - next topic
Blackstone Labs oil test
An FYI....

The free oil test kit from Blackstone Labs arrived within a couple of days of my ordering it; the kit contained a small bottle, labels, a square of absorbent paper, and what Blackstone refers to on the page linked below as a "mailing tube" (actually a square, lidded black plastic container), but no instructions.

The testing procedure is pretty intuitive, but it's a good idea to make sure that the instructions are followed so that one doesn't waste 28 bucks and postage to send the sample. This link on the Blackstone website provides the test and payment instructions:

Gas Sampling

HTH.

P.S. Yes, the link says "gas sampling"; I have no idea why.

Joan

2003 TK has a new home

Re: Blackstone Labs oil test
Reply #1
Joan,
Maybe it means that you can sample the oil in both gas and diesel engines?  I use their service for a diesel truck, a diesel tug, and several gas engines.  It is a great reference to how the engine is performing and allows me to determine the best timing for the next oil change.

By the way, I start the hot oil flowing out of the engine and then take the sample mid-way through the drain process.

They will send you a nice analysis when they finish your sample and interpret the results.  I also print their explanation to the postal service that drain oil is safe and legal to send through the mail.  Sure enough, I had to use it once and the person at the desk accepted their explanation.  Definitely worth the $28.

Harold
2014 27 MB
Towd: Either the Jeep Wrangler or trailer containing the BMW R1200GS and 2 E-bicycles
Happy wife=Happy life

Reply #2
"I start the hot oil flowing out of the engine and then take the sample mid-way through the drain process."
---
Yes, the "mid-flow sample" instructions are the same as another "drain sample" process!  :D

Knowing the local post office personnel, I will definitely print the "this is not hazmat" information; thanks for the reminder!

I won't get to doing an oil change for a while, but I'm curious to see what it reveals about the 100k + engine!

Joan

2003 TK has a new home

Reply #3
"Mid-flow sample" sounds like the urinalysis instructions they gave us in the Navy!  :-X 
Greg & Victoria
2017 Mid-Bath  “Nocona” towing a manual 2015 Forester
Previously a 1985 TK
SKP #61264

Reply #4
Yes, Greg.  ;)
2003 TK has a new home

Reply #5
Greg, you took part in "Operation Golden Flow"?
Currently: 2008 36' Tiffin Open Road
Previously: 2007 Mid Bath