Skip to main content
Topic: Spot On-Not! (Read 235 times) previous topic - next topic
Spot On-Not!
I often take advantage of a rainy day to give a quick hose down of cars and LD.

The rain will quickly rinse the tap water eliminating the spotting that is left when tap water dries.

The other day, just prior to a rainy afternoon and with the potential spotting on my mind, I decided to try something a little different in my tactics.

After using the hose to knock the dust off the LD from my previous trip to the desert, I attached my Camco Blue water filter between the hose and the spray nozzle.

I then gave the rig a final rinse and let the rain fall. The next day upon examining the coach it was spotless.

Was it the rain or the Camco? No matter it looks fantastic. I'll try it again when there is no rain and compare the results, but so far so good.

The filter is back in the fridge waiting for my next journey or quick wash. Now that's a true Lazy Days.

Kent
2015 27' RB "MissB.Haven"

Re: Spot On-Not!
Reply #1
That tack definitely brings to mind a ritual I had when I lived in Miami - where it rained a lot and the dew point was "daily".  I had a 1977 full-size GMC Jimmy that I drove to work every day.  Every morning it was wet, either from an early-morning rain, or said dew.  I learned early on to take out a big, thirsty towel with me when I was ready to get in and just quickly go over the whole vehicle.  This did not dry it off entirely, but it did get rid of the most egregious "puddles".  The drive to work took care of the rest of the drying cycle.  At the time, the pollution was basically non-existent.  Today, likely there would be pollutants stuck all over the vehicle!

If it happened not to be wet on any given morning (seldom!), I just shot it with the hose.  And, yes, I was in a three-piece suit and high heels!  But my Jimmy looked splendid, and I was very proud of it.

Virtual hugs,

Judie

Reply #2
Judie,

Here in SSC (Sunny Southern California), I tend to use my California Duster (is there a Florida Duster?) before the sun goes down and the dampness settles on my car.

Removing the dust prior to the evening dew point leaves the car mud free in the morning. Not so easy to do on the LD roof.

Dirt! Best left in the garden.

Kent

Reply #3
"Was it the rain or the Camco?"

Since a water filter such as the Camco has no effect on the dissolved minerals that cause water spots, I'd say it was likely the rain.

The California Duster is vey handy for a quick once-over after pulling into a campsite.
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"

Reply #4
Andy,

I will agree that the Camco Filter would do little to remove the minerals and such that would most likely cause spotting.

However, there is this... Clean Water Filter Kit, clear inline hose filter, car wash filter kit

Not too difficult to set up at home and possibly carry along in my forward drivers bay. May be worth taking a closer look.

I wondered the web looking for something more portable (like the Camco filter) and so far this is all I've found. Could make a nice addition to my LD Arsenal.

Kent 

Reply #5
Kent,
CR Spotless makes a few units that allow one to wash and rinse and have no water spots when the water dries.  I think the units are de-ionizers. I have heard positive comments from owners who use them. 
2014 27 MB
Towd: Either the Jeep Wrangler or trailer containing the BMW R1200GS and 2 E-bicycles
Happy wife=Happy life

Reply #6
On the other hand, they are pretty darned pricey and the filter units inside have to be replaced periodically and more frequently in good old Southern California where we have hard water and the filter medium is pretty expensive as well.

I haven't been able to justify the expense yet.  The nice lady at the local marine supply I frequent told me that I can save a lot of money if I skip the de-ionizer and skip the gym membership and wash and dry my stuff by hand.

Then, of course, there is the beer budget...

Harold
2014 27 MB
Towd: Either the Jeep Wrangler or trailer containing the BMW R1200GS and 2 E-bicycles
Happy wife=Happy life

Reply #7
Since we travel full time and don't tend to stay at private RV parks we don't have many opportunities to wash and wax the LD.

From the beginning we used a polymer based wax and a california duster which worked well. However, in January 2014 we switched to Wash Wax All and have been very happy with the result. Combined with the duster it has made it a relatively easy process. We use it on the LD and toad and it seems to have the same benefits of the waxing that we used to do.

I found this earlier thread on it. Waterless Wash & Wax for RVs

Jim

Reply #8
Yes, the "Clean water Filter Kit" is not just a filter--it's also an ion-exchange type water softener. That's a whole different ballgame from typical RV water filters, and it should produce spot-free rinse water.

Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"

Reply #9
Yes, the "Clean water Filter Kit" is not just a filter--it's also an ion-exchange type water softener. That's a whole different ballgame from typical RV water filters, and it should produce spot-free rinse water.

You will find large versions these filters at car dealerships, usually amount on cart that is pulled around by hand.
Most dealers will wash their cars often and the mineral free water keeps the finish shine and spot free, without of lot hand drying.

Like others here, I take advantage of any daytime rain by putting my raincoat on and and washing all our vehicles.
Rain water is the perfect rinse

Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #10
I use a California car duster and then products from washwax.com. People frequently comment on how shiny my rig is...and no water spots.
2008 Rear Kitchen

Reply #11
Jim, I switched to a no rinse wash product this year too. I'm very impressed with how well it emulsifies dirt and how spotless the end result is. I can wash the whole rig with 3-5 gallons of water. The instructions call for towel drying, and this helps, but I don't manage to cover all of the rig with a towel and things turn out well anyway.
Paul
'92 Mid Bath

Reply #12
I use the waterless wash and wax, "WashWax All" hat Jim mentioned in the thread.  Most of the time I wash the Lazy Daze first but in campgrounds I will do a touch up.   I purchased the kit off Amazon.  The "Deluxe Mop Pole"  it that comes with the kit is a work of art.  Most expanding poles are junk.  This actually extends to a length for me (5'6") that allows me to clean the front over cab section.  If your scrubbing bugs the pole will hold up against some elbow grease and weight.  The degreaser works well on the black streaks.  I would not use the scrub pads on normal automotive paint job but the epoxy paint that LD uses holds up fine to light rubbing.
John
07 MB
Currently: 2008 36' Tiffin Open Road
Previously: 2007 Mid Bath