Skip to main content
Topic: Is there a place to add a generator in a 1988 22' LD? (Read 969 times) previous topic - next topic
Re: Is there a place to add a generator in a 1988 22' LD?
Reply #50
On a level road the dash AC should hurt performance that much.  With a new system I’m sure you can cool the RV.   Just open the rear most top vent a smidgin. That will draw the hot air out and pull cool air from the dash through the rest of the RV.  Years ago Ford coined the name “flow through ventilation”.   The biggest problem in cooling a large space is getting rid of the hot air already in the space. Cole Air has a difficult time displacing the hot air.  It is simple physics. Even in triple digit weather with 80% humidity the method above cools the RV in a very short time. 
Currently: 2008 36' Tiffin Open Road
Previously: 2007 Mid Bath

Reply #51
Honda EU2000is will power rooftop air -- if you use two of them and the interconnect kit.  Total weight is less than the EU3000is, and package is way more convenient.  Extended run setups are available, and your chassis probably already has a fuel tap setup for the non-existent Onan unit.  The pair of Hondas will be quieter than Onan, too.

Don't overlook a front-hitch solution for generators, if things get crowded out back.  They're small enough not to impede airflow too much.
2000 Front Lounge

Reply #52
I was reading about how to exhaust hot air using the swamp cooler. It's in the owners manual. I imagine we are going to be doing every trick we can find to cool it down. Thank you for the advice John. Chip yes I have thought about using the front to put stuff, but I really am hoping not to do that. One of the reasons I really wanted this LD is because of the size. I have driven a 27 ft class C and a 40 ft bus conversion, I really wanted something very small at this point in our life. I would have gotten a regular van except one of my travel mates needs to be able to stand and stretch often when traveling long distances and he is over 6 ft tall. I just dont want the extra length. I did look into the Honda's and may still end up getting them but I was hoping for an auto start and the Honda doesnt seem to have that........
1984 Chevy 30 TK Hotel California

Reply #53
I know this is way expensive, but could a Cummings dealer figure out how to install an Onan 4k Micro Quiet Generator?  They are shorter and longer than the old Onan Emeralds that would have come on the older LD's.
Rodney
1988 Mid Bath

Reply #54
How about these aproaches?!

Pete
Pete
1994 RB