Skip to main content
Topic: SOB: Forest River threatens industry media reporting on product recalls (Read 273 times) previous topic - next topic
SOB: Forest River threatens industry media reporting on product recalls
Forest River RV, owned by none other than Warren Buffett, is sending legal threats to RV Daily Report for publishing RV safety recalls, and pointing out that the disproportionate number of recalls may indicate overall quality problems with Forest River products.

Despite the fact that Forest River has already been fined $5 MILLION dollars [PDF] for safety violations, their legal thugs are resorting to bully tactics instead of building better products.

It bothers me that the average person buying an RV is going to be stuck with up to 10 years of payments on a brand new rig they can't use when they want to, because of "punch lists", warranty work, and endless hassles with dealers and repair shops. And then they have to worry that complaining about the cheap quality (even in high-end, expensive rigs) will result in legal threats and intimidation.

Just had to get this off my chest.
fu
2015TK

Re: SOB: Forest River threatens industry media reporting on product recalls
Reply #1
Your post certainly helped to get it off my chest as well.  If I ponder this subject too long, I get waves of depression which quickly turns to waves of relief.  How do you spell relief?  LAZY DAZE.  And so it goes.

Reply #2
I agree with one 100%.   I used to work in a company the sold a full software and hardware database solution to small and large hospitals.    The solution contained all sort of other manufacturers products.    We (my company) knew that the end user would blame us for any problem they had no matter who made the other products.  We accepted the responsibility.    
 Sooooo what I'm saying Forest River or for that matter LD can not blame the manufacturer of the products they put in the RV.   They are responsible.   We, the buyers, buy a full solution trusting the manufacturer to do right by us.  
personal fine art photo stuff
TF Mack | Flickr
It's all good .......
2014 Twin King

Reply #4
FU, thx for sharing...disappointing that Warren Buffet is connected to this, as he's always seemed one of the more ethical of the oligarchs (I was probably taken in by his jovial, grandfatherly demeanor when I've seen him interviewed).  Thx for an interesting link, Joan.  When I looked at LD recalls, all were secondary to defects of the Dometic refrigerators--none had to do with electrical issues/construction defects/mechanicals--under the hood or elsewhere/etc.  I spell "relief" like Ed/Traxless.   :D

Lynne
Lynne
LDy Lulubelle, Green '05 31' TB
Lilly, the 4-Legged Alarm

Reply #5
The information at this link applies to vehicles, but process seems to apply to other products and systems as well:

The road to a recall
2003 TK has a new home

Reply #6
Greg Gerber, editor of RV Daily Report, has written an outstanding series of articles dealing with the RV and camping industries. The article in the link is just the first of  8 articles. In a more recent article just a couple of weeks ago he wrote about a recent RV industry conference at which the manufacturers discussed their studies over the years about quality and satisfaction. Greg wrote:

"I’m going to go out on a limb here and suggest a practical way to invest 180 hours in getting an up close and personal education on what’s wrong with the “RV experience.”

Rather than meeting in some swanky hotel at some resort somewhere, everyone in the group agrees to rent an RV for 10 days. If there are 20 people in the group, then there would be 20 rentals. No fair sharing. You want the full experience.

Plot a route where each person either drives or tows an RV for five hours a day. At the end of that day, they have to set up the RV. They should livestream their experience or at least blog about it on a common website, assuming they can get an internet connection at the campgrounds they visit.

Then, the next day they tear down the RVs and continue their journey.

As members fall out of the caravan because their RVs break and they have to find a repair center, the others can continue on the journey. At the end of 10 days, the remaining members will have a college-level education on what’s wrong with the RV experience."

Amen!

Reply #7
Ted, I poked around the rvdailyreport site you referenced. And read two other articles that made me so damn glad we own an LD. All those stories we have heard from SOB owners around the campfire are so true.

RV Industry Death Spiral – Part 2: Manufacturers in race to the bottom | RV...
RV Industry Death Spiral – Part 4: Dealers drop the ball on service | RV...

The only gripe we have ever had about our LD is the rear window shade. The 2007 design was less than desirable. [So was the early 2008 design] It finally died and we are going to replace it with one from Graber through Costco.

I know nothing about this company, but they offer one in the right size.
Cellular and Honeycomb Shades from Select Blinds
Don & Dorothy
Sold our LD in June of 2023

Our boring always non-PC travel blog
Traveling Dorothy

Reply #8
"Eating your own dog food" is a detestable phrase for a very practical concept -- to understand your product and your customers, you need to actually USE the product. Focus groups and marketing flacks are not enough.

The founders of Thor Industries, for example, had no interest in camping, they just saw a way to make money.

When "making money" is their primary work product, and not the manufactured product itself, keep another detestable phrase in mind: "No matter how much you polish a turd, it's still a turd."

fu
2015TK
fu
2015TK