Skip to main content
Topic: SpaceX Plans worldwide satellite Internet  (Read 187 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: SpaceX Plans worldwide satellite Internet
Reply #1
Light Speed To Endore...

Not too very long ago communication was acheived by sending puffs of smoke into the air. Now we use electronic bits hurling through space. Ouch!

Boggles the mind. Two nice things about smoke signals-At night you can stay warm by the fire and in the morning you can brew a cup of coffee.

I'd like to see you do that with your cell phone or tablet. ⛺️

Just sayin'

Kent
2015 27' RB "MissB.Haven"

Reply #2
Ed said, " I'm so ready to dump our ISP ..."

Indeed.  I wonder if this is something that could be mobile--like those who take their home satellite with them, or those that already have the bells/whistles/boosters in their rigs. 

I was OK with my small rural phone co-op ISP, 'til they dropped the service I had & wanted to charge 1/2 again as much for the new service with little improvement in service (I still couldn't stream Netflix/etc.).  I hate the cable provider (& they, too, wanted a arm & leg for internet); in town I'm far enough out of Kansas City the OTA isn't much at the house (though I get pretty good reception in the LD when I'm on the hill six miles south of town at the farm).  I kept getting mailers that ATT/DirectTV had a bundle for TV & internet, but when I went to the local ATT franchise to switch, they claimed they weren't yet servicing my end of town with internet...Arrgghhh...Grrrr.  So much for the idea of competition bringing down prices, so for now I go to the Library or McD's periodically. 

Lynne
LDy Lulubelle, Green '05 31' TB
Lilly, the 4-Legged Alarm

Reply #3
A fascinating prospect. It is a matter of time. SpaceX is  a business that is monetizing space, so the cost will be interesting. Any added competition should help. Maybe we will have reception anywhere we travel! I would sign on for that.
Paul
'92 Mid Bath