Skip to main content
Topic: Ideas for Cleaning the Linoleum & Oxford White Touch-Up Paint (Read 306 times) previous topic - next topic
Ideas for Cleaning the Linoleum & Oxford White Touch-Up Paint
First allow me to say that DW and I usually remove our outside shoes when entering our LD.   It just keeps most outside stuff outside.  Nevertheless, the linoleum has some minor scratches that don't come up with our usual cleaning products.  I've even tried using an eraser, which helped on some "scratches" that were actually scuff like lines, if that makes sense.  So has anyone found a product that helps to keep the Linoleum looking clean and fresh other than using hot water, simple green and elbow grease?

On another note, this Sunday we plan to use Ford's Oxford White touch-up paint (as recommended by Mr. Larry Wade) and clear coat on some small gravel strikes and around the city-water connection.  After the paint dries, we'll use a gentle cleaning compound, followed by the clear-coat.  Then in a few days, we'll use some Mothers Brazilian Carnauba Wax to finish off each touch-up spot.   Actually looking forward to that tiny project.  I still need to call the Factory to order the blue touch-up paint.

Finally, I've given up the notion that we will ever complete our LD "To Do" List.  Ain't going to happen.  It's only took me more than a year to figure that out ... clearly a slow learner.  LOL

Re: Ideas for Cleaning the Linoleum & Oxford White Touch-Up Paint
Reply #1

"...Finally, I've given up the notion that we will ever complete our LD "To Do" List.  Ain't going to happen.  It's only took me more than a year to figure that out ... clearly a slow learner.  LOL..."

Exactly why I went new. I'm well past the "remodel & refurbish" days. Now I'm more of a "maintain & acquire" guy.

Simple stuff...Macerator, cell signal booster, TPMS...and a tank of gas.

That's just me.

Kent
2015 27' RB "MissB.Haven"

Reply #2
I don't know if you are talking about material that has been deposited onto the Linoleum or an actual scratch in the linoleum.  To take stuff off, have you tried goof off or oops from someplace like Lowes / Home Depot?  They take all sorts of things off and usually doesn't hurt the Linoleum (double check on a less visible spot just in case) and I have had good luck with that.
If it is an actual scratch/gouge, there are linoleum repair kits at the same stores.   I have not tried these and can't say how well they work, I just know they are available.
Jane & Scott
Currently have a 1989 TK  LD we did a lot of upgrades on.
Bigfoot 25RQ Twin on order with early summer 2024 ETA

Our smartphone autocorrects into very poor English.
 We disclaim the illusion of ignorance this creates as we have enough ignorance we rightly claim.

Reply #3
"....has anyone found a product that helps to keep the Linoleum looking clean and fresh other than using hot water, simple green and elbow grease?"
----
No.  ;)  I scrub the vinyl (on my hands and knees) with hot water/white vinegar and a stiff scrub brush and wipe up with a terry cloth shop rag. No magic potions or techniques; just scut work!

Joan
2003 TK has a new home

Reply #4
Thank you folks for some ideas.  From time to time, I've learned that often there is a bit of magic for some LD projects.  And if not magic, a better way to do some things learned from the School of Hard Knocks.  Looks like the floor is going to receive Joan's technique.

Reply #5
"the School of Hard Knocks"
----
My mother was a professional-grade instructor in this school!  ;)

Joan
2003 TK has a new home

Reply #7
Hey, Ed--

When you mentioned "eraser," was it a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser?  Those things have cleaned some spots I didn't expect to really come off, without noticeably damaging the original finish...though there was, indeed, elbow grease involved.

Lynne
Lynne
LDy Lulubelle, Green '05 31' TB
Lilly, the 4-Legged Alarm

Reply #8
When you mentioned "eraser," was it a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser? 

Hello Lynne.  I just used a #2 pencil eraser on some of the small scuffs that at first looked like cuts or scratches.  But in fact, they were hair thin scuff marks that our cleaning solution didn't remove.  Hope this helps.

Reply #9
I scrub the vinyl (on my hands and knees) with hot water/white vinegar and a stiff scrub brush and wipe up with a terry cloth shop rag. No magic potions or techniques; just scut work!

Well Joan, "on my hands and knees" with your recommended cleaner did a nice job on our floor.  It looks better, smells nice, and clean!   So thank you for my sore knees.  LOL

Reply #10
"So thank you for my sore knees."
----
 :D 
2003 TK has a new home