Skip to main content
Topic: Stain cabinets  (Read 371 times) previous topic - next topic
Stain cabinets
As we work to remodel I want to do something with the wood. Some of it is faded resulting in about 3 different colors of wood. I have considered painting but to keep to the original design I would like to keep most of the wood. Has anyone tried staining the wood? Results? Suggestions? Or did anyone paint?

Thanks!

Melissa
Melissa

Re: Stain cabinets
Reply #1
H20LC,
For years, ,my bride has taken care of the inside of our little boat, our long term Lance Camper, and more recently, the Lazy Daze.  The boat has teak interior that fades in the sun and the Lance had maple interior.
She uses a mix of 50% teak oil and 50% lemon oil (Formby's or Old English Lemon oil).  She sops a rag with this mix and rubs it into the wood until it looks wet.  After a few hours on a warm sunny day, or the next day, she wipes off the excess oil and the teak looks new again.
She recently oiled all of the wood interior in the Lazy Daze and it looks beautiful.  This is a much less drastic treatment than a stain and for interior wood is much nicer than varnish.  Cheap and pretty easy.  Especially easy for me when she does all of the work.

HD
2014 27 MB
Towd: Either the Jeep Wrangler or trailer containing the BMW R1200GS and 2 E-bicycles
Happy wife=Happy life

Reply #2
Great suggestion. I will give it a try.
Melissa

Reply #3
Before oiling it, consider this. The bulk of the wood is a printed overlay that is a type of vinyl. It will benefit from cleaning, but won't absorb or take oils.

Most of the corner trim is also one of a couple of plastics. One of these usually turns a nice shade of olive green. This is even apparent in the paneling at the Mothership office.

On the cabinet doors, there is real wood trim around the edges. This usually gets quite dull and light as the finish disappears over the years. I brought mine back to life with a simple wiping varnish like Watco oil ot Teak oil or my favorite, Watherlox. All these are oil based, thinned varnishes that can be wiped on to good effect.

Try the inside of a cabinet door first.

This is just my experience.
Paul
'92 Mid Bath

Reply #4
As Paul mentioned, most of the cabinetry has a plastic, wood-grain coating, except for the door frames.
There isn't much to be done to the plastic coated paneling, other than cleaning or painting it.
I would cautious about using any oil on the paneling, for fear it might accelerate the deterioration of the adhesive that bonds the coating to the wood.

LD has used several different wood types or colors through the years
What type of wood is used in your LD?
The answer will help us suggest the proper stain for repairing the damage or worn areas, on the frames.

Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #5
As others have pointed out, the only "wood" is the cabinet/cupboard/closet door trim and the drawer fronts; the cabinet panels are 1/8" hardboard or "luan" with a wood-grain vinyl fused to the backing.

My 2003 has the original color, i.e., a sort of light yellowy-brown "maple-ish" color. The wood used for the trim looks like poplar; knowing how LD stockpiles, I figure that whatever it is, it's likely the same wood trim material as in current production, just with different stains.

I've re-stained the wood trim on some of the cabinets and drawers, primarily in the galley, at least three times; materials and procedures are these:

400 sandpaper (use 600 as a finish sanding, if desired)

Minwax penetrating wood stain Puritan Pine is the best match for the original color of wood trim; you're on your own to match the "cherry" or new light color (which looks pretty much the same as the old color, but perhaps a bit warmer "brown", rather than yellow, tone.)

Minwax Fast-drying polyurethane sealer, clear semi-gloss. (NB: Stir; do not shake this product or your finish coat will be milky and bubbled!)

I thoroughly sand the areas to be re-stained, vacuum off the dust, apply one coat of stain and allow it to dry completely, re-sand if necessary, apply a second coat of stain, allow that to dry, then apply the poly sealer. A 1" disposable foam brush works well for applying the stain, but I suggest using a good quality brush to apply the sealer. (If preferred, one can wipe down the sanded areas with thinner before applying the stain, and/or apply two coats of sealer, sanding lightly between the first and second coats; I haven't found this to be necessary, but YMMV.)

NB: Cleaning the vinyl parts of the cabinets with warm water and white vinegar (or a solution of Simple Green and warm water if the vinyl is really sticky; rinse with the vinegar and water) prevents the gummy, dirt and dust-attracting coating that forms when "oily" cleaners are used. Again, YMMV!  :D

Joan
2003 TK has a new home

Reply #6
While on the subject of the interior wood finishing, I have a few areas where the "wood" coating has bunched up and peeled away.  Is there a method of repairing this, or creative ways to mask it?

Matt

Reply #7
There are many ways to improve the appearance of the cabinets. I am old school. I don't have any confidence in products that cost north of $30 a gallon. I make my own.

I first clean the surfaces with 400-600 steel wool. Then I remove the steel wool that will be left on the surfaces.

I make my own "wiping stain" from a quality Urethane mixed with mineral spirits and one or more stains. I keep a dozen or so stains on hand. How much of which I use is done by trials on unexposed surfaces.

You should be very cautious about the sheen. Some like sparkle, some prefer dull.

I use lint free cloths. One to put the material on and a second to remove excess that will build up in the corners.

I don't try to do it in one coat. I find that two or more light coats works best for me.
Don & Dorothy
Sold our LD in June of 2023

Our boring always non-PC travel blog
Traveling Dorothy

Reply #8
Thanks all. I have a 97. The wood looks darkish but lighter in others mostly likely since they are different materials. So if it's all not wood can you treat them the same?  Is it frowned upon to paint them?
Melissa

Reply #9
Is it frowned upon to paint them?
Many have painted the cabinets in older LD's, especially the door panels, whose plastic coating tends to peel with age.
Clean the panels well and sand the frames.
While normal acrylic paint works OK, you might try paint made for plastics. Plastic paints at widely available in spray cans.

Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #10
I use a Minwax Stain Marker

Minwax Wood Finish Stain Marker - Wood Stain Pen | Minwax

occasionally to touch up the cabinet wood. It seems to combine stain and varnish. Not suitable for complete refinishing, but good for those spots that develop below the sinks and refer, etc. I clean the spots with plain water first, dry with a paper towel, then apply the pen, using a paper towel to dab up excess and mistakes.

Terry
2003 26.5'RB
Gardnerville, NV
Terry
2003 26.5'RB
Gardnerville, NV