Skip to main content
Topic: Water along bottom of back window--2003 MB--Advice? (Read 178 times) previous topic - next topic
Water along bottom of back window--2003 MB--Advice?
Hi Everyone,

I've noticed a small amount of water along the inside of the bottom frame of my rear window.  When I inspect it from the outside, one of the holes along the bottom edge of the frame appears to have a littlewater pooling behind it--I suspect that is the source of the water coming through on the inside as well. It's a small amount, and I've only noticed it for about 2 days.

Any advice about what might be going on and what I should do?

Thanks in advance!

Pam
Pam and Jim
2003 MB

Re: Water along bottom of back window--2003 MB--Advice?
Reply #1
You don't mention of this is after a rain or of there was condensation on the window.

A stab in the dark- the big Windows condensate a lot when sleeping in cold weather, where thete is a temperature differential between inside and outside. People respiratory about a liter of water at night and the vapor likes to turn to water on the cold surfaces. The pool is where water has run down the window as it must. The holes are there to let it pass to the outside.
Paul
'92 Mid Bath

Reply #2
Just as Paul has suggested, this last weekend we had our LD buttoned up a bit too tight during some colder weather and in the morning had significant condensation in the areas the OP experienced.  It was enough water to make the cleanup towel very damp. 

Reply #3
Plugged weep holes can also cause water pooling in the window channel; I use a popsicle stick or "craft stick" or plastic knife blade to clear the holes. When the channel is completely dry, a few blasts of compressed air will usually remove any remaining debris.

Joan
2003 TK has a new home

Reply #4
Plugged weep holes can also cause water pooling in the window channel; I use a popsicle stick or "craft stick" or plastic knife blade to clear the holes. When the channel is completely dry, a few blasts of compressed air will usually remove any remaining debris.

The first time we used compressed air to clean our weep holes, it blasted out dirt and mud.  Now, we clean those weep holes every six (6) months with compressed air.  We've not had mud since the original cleanup.  We also clean the window tracks with a silicon lubrication spray, as recommended by JCT.  :)  We have happy weep holes and smooth sliding windows.

And so it goes.

Reply #5
I also have a '03 MB.

When I store it (under a cover), I typically have 1 side lower than the other so water will run off of the roof.  This slope, combined with the angle of the window (tilting towards the from the of RV), makes water collect behind the low side weep hole.  Surface tension seems to work to keep water in as well.

I started putting a short piece of string in the weep hole a few years ago.  It wicks the water out for evaporation and keeps the water from pooling in the corner.

Rich
'03 MB in NC
2003 MB

Reply #6
Thanks, everyone!  This is the first time I've had the RV closed up at night, so I think the condensation theory is correct.  I was concerned the water might be coming in from the outside, but I think you all are right that it's headed in the other direction!

Great ideas for dealing with window tracks and weep holes!
Pam and Jim
2003 MB

Reply #7
Ed said, "... happy weep holes..." 

Who'd a thunk it?  The things we celebrate.   ;D 

LDy Lulubelle is here at Osborn Automotive getting her #5 plug & coil replaced (that Check Engine Light from east of Rawlins, Wy, let us get home but...)/oil changed/getting attention to other miscellaneous 60K needs  (she's been lazing away out at the farm since Ladeze, but thought we'd head to Denver to see The Aunt, so here we are).

Happy weep holes & Thanksgiving to all. 

Lynne
Lynne
LDy Lulubelle, Green '05 31' TB
Lilly, the 4-Legged Alarm