Skip to main content
Topic: Refrigerator door (Read 254 times) previous topic - next topic
Refrigerator door
"Door drop" did not happen to my refrigerator, but it's not that uncommon. It recently happened to some friends' unit (and it has happened to others), so just offering a reminder to be very cautious about overloading the shelves on the refrigerator door! 

Excess weight can and will cause the (flimsy plastic) hinge(s) to break and the door to fall off. Repair and/or replacement are not inexpensive. (A dent in the floor is not real good, either, let alone having to clean up a big mess.  ;) )

As ever, YMMV.

Joan

2003 TK has a new home

Re: Refrigerator door
Reply #1
I'm going to check that door load right now!
Paul
'92 Mid Bath

Reply #2
Up until now the door on mine held cans of soda, milk and a couple of bottles of chilled wine.  I had removed the shelf that allowed tall things in favor of more space between the remaining shelves.  I will be rethinking the layout of the fredge.
thanks
John
07 MB
Currently: 2008 36' Tiffin Open Road
Previously: 2007 Mid Bath

Reply #3
We were in a friends SOB once when it happened. His wife uttered a small gasp and we looked over to see her holding the entire fridge door she had just opened!

Anyway, the physics are that if you DO load up the door, keep the heaviest items as close as possible to the hinge side. This reduces the moment of inertia on the top hinge pin, and reduces its wear. I practice this with our home fridge, too.

Steve
2004 FL
2013 Honda Fit

Reply #4
"His wife uttered a small gasp..."
----
Remarkable restraint!  A "small gasp" would not be what I would utter if the refrigerator door fell off in my hands!  ;)

2003 TK has a new home

Reply #5
Yup, had this happen in my 2003 24' FL 2 weeks after buying it. Fortunately the plastic 'ear' on the door broke off cleanly, and I was able to JB-Weld it back on. Better than nearly $200 for a new door. I'm *very* careful what I put in the door bins now. (it wasn't very loaded when it happened, but when the door fell, a few glass bottles broke! What a mess.)

Sad to say, but the build quality of RV fridges is terrible. Neither Dometic nor Norcold uses metal hinges anymore :P