Skip to main content
Topic: Adequate protection  (Read 463 times) previous topic - next topic
Adequate protection
We are prepping for the day we bring home our Lazy Daze. We live in San Diego, and as you all know by now we are in the midst of a drought with no end in sight. So, the question is: does it seem reasonable to park a motorhome underneath the cover of our Live Oak trees?  We had several huge limbs removed. And we  put up a sun sail and will be adding at least one more. Then we plan on putting a breathable cover on top of the roof.  It's really shady in that location so UV rays shouldn't be too much of a problem ( not 100% positive though .)  We placed several loads of rock down on the road. Please chime in with your opinions - very much appreciated!

Re: Adequate protection
Reply #1
I avoid parking under trees for storage. Falling sap and detritus make a mess of the roof and any covers. Falling Limbs are a real trauma too. I fear limbs may fall in the next big storm when trees are already stressed from drought. But shade and air circulation is essential to long life. Sounds like the area is already designated and ready, and if that is the best place, how about a roof structure ?
Paul
'92 Mid Bath

Reply #2
We hope to build something someday but in the meantime .....

Reply #3
My 2 cents worth . . . I agree with Paul. Even though our Coast Live Oaks are non-deciduous, they still drop leaves, debris, acorns, etc. not to mention bird droppings. As mentioned, with our ongoing drought, the possibility of falling branches increases.
Greg & Victoria
2017 Mid-Bath  “Nocona” towing a manual 2015 Forester
Previously a 1985 TK
SKP #61264

Reply #4
Lest we forget..."dropping squirrels".
It's bad enough they climb aboard, but dropping from the sky just doesn't seem right.

Don't forget your Fresh Cab.

Just sayin'

Kent
2015 27' RB "MissB.Haven"

Reply #5
Hi Kent,

Luckily we don't have any Flying squirrels only the ground variety.  😊

So you guys don't think that the sun sails will keep enough debris from the top of the roof?  Plus we will put a breathable tarp on top - if there is such a thing.

We had tree trimmers out to prune the that large Oak   We removed 2 enormous limbs - one may still be iffy; we can lace out the remaining branches to take off some of the weight. 

I guess all of this discussion revolves around not wanting to park too close to the  house. Anyhow, this following image is similar to what I would like to have.

Reply #6
Sun sails will be a big help. I have little confidence in the breathabikity of tarps, unless you can suspend it over the LD. Trapped moisture is a killer. Keep trimming the oaks. Mercilessly. That's a nice looking cover- so many ways to make it look cool and serve a second use.
Paul
'92 Mid Bath

Reply #7
Actually, I have been leaning toward Coolaroo's to protect our LD as well. Simple and straight forward, although I do like the bamboo cover you pictured. Very nice.

Our rig resides just outside the house on the driveway soaking up the California sun. It's time to make a move to protect it from the rays. 

Good luck with your project. They never seem to end.

Kent
2015 27' RB "MissB.Haven"

Reply #8
The shade you posted, Marcie, looks nice but doesn't look very protective to me, and certainly not if a large branch were to let loose. Is there a reason why you don't want it closer to the house where you can access power and water easier? 
Greg & Victoria
Previously a 1985 TK
SKP #61264

Reply #9
I think that the sun shades will help, but as others have said the problem is suspending them from trees.   The drought has stressed the trees enough.   Sails that would cover a LD would could generate a lot of force in a moderate wind adding more stress to the trees.
As mentioned there is also the issue with the tannins from the dropped leaves, twigs and acorns staining your paint.
I like the bamboo cover.
Currently: 2008 36' Tiffin Open Road
Previously: 2007 Mid Bath

Reply #10
We live next to an open area with many large coastal and valley oaks.
With the drought, many of them have dropped large branches, over the last two years.
Across the street, a very large oak tree came down last winter, it sounded like an earthquake occuring.
I would not want to park my LD under an oak for this reason and because oak leaves can build up and stain the roof..

The Factory paint is tough stuff and will last for years parked outside.I would prefer taking my chances with the sun vs. a stressed oak tree  YMMV

Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #11
We also avoid parking under trees. The shade they provide is not worth the risk. This policy started with our '83, when under a very tall eucalyptus, a seed pod punched a hole clear through the bath vent cover. Most recently with our '04, we parked where I thought we were clear of trees at a campground, and long, pointed acorns kept slamming into our roof from a huge live oak with an overhanging limb at least 75' off the ground. We must have been at least 40' away from the tree base. Over the 23 years we have been in our LDs, I have seen many limb take-outs and near misses, and have no reason to change my philosophy. Where impossible to avoid trees, I will site under the least offensive possible option I can find.

Steve
2004 FL
2013 Honda Fit

Reply #12
Got it, Larry.    The tree trimmer stopped by so we are going to create a big open space between the oak and a pepper. Clear sky above and around. 

Reply #13
Steve,
 We were camping at El Capitan last summer - adjacent to the amphitheater    As we were walking in to hear the ranger speak, a giant oak fell.  Luckily, no one was injured. The top of the canopy came within 20 feet of our TT. Scary, yes !

Reply #14
We also avoid parking under trees. The shade they provide is not worth the risk. This policy started with our '83, when under a very tall eucalyptus, a seed pod punched a hole clear through the bath vent cover.
Steve

Was that at Morro Bay, Steve? I remember there used to be many more eucalyptus there years ago than there is now. I believe they took a bunch out to do a renovation project at the cg.
Greg & Victoria
Previously a 1985 TK
SKP #61264

Reply #15
Was that at Morro Bay, Steve? I remember there used to be many more eucalyptus there years ago than there is now. I believe they took a bunch out to do a renovation project at the cg.
Morro Bay State Park's forest was not properly managed.  Most of  the big trees are at the end of their lives and should have been replaced years ago, but their removal and replacement was stopped years ago, during the Park's remodel lawsuit.
Politics.

I meet the State Park's Central Coast arborist three years ago, at Morro Bay SP. He told me all the old trees were coming out, a few at a time.
He was concerned about camper's safety and the State's liability.
He also told me that with the drought, replanting would be delayed until more favorable weather conditions permit.
Morro Bay has a limited water supply, with all their water being supplied from local sources.
The trees may not return for a long time.

We used to have problems keeping the batteries charged at MB, due to the shade, now it isn't as big an issue.

Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #16
Marcie,
After replacing three or four ADCO RV covers that fell apart in the San Diego sun, I finally sprung for the pipe barn, essentially a big sun cover with enclosed the sides. Over time, I expect that it will give better protection and save me money in sun and water damage, as well as keep the Lazy Daze cleaner between trips.  In addition, we have eucalyptus behind our property and every year another one falls down, crushing our fence.  The cover is pretty robust and may give the LD some protection in the event of a tree collapse.  Naturally, kids come home and pile more and more of their stuff in it as well.
If you have interest in this option and have the space, I have a contractor here in San Diego who did the job at a reasonable price. Feel free to PM me.
Harold
2014 27 MB
Towd: Either the Jeep Wrangler or trailer containing the BMW R1200GS and 2 E-bicycles
Happy wife=Happy life

Reply #17
Thank you Harold. I would definitely be interested at some point. I will be getting back to you.

Reply #18
Marcie, we live in the northwest and in March a fir tree took out our carport and three cars, almost never before had we parked our vehicles in a line such that all three would be hit by one tree, but it happened.  So I would not take chances with trees and LDs.  As Larry said earlier I would park it clear of trees and figure a way to protect it from the Sun. 

~Liam
     98 ~ MB

1998 ~ MB  WanderDaze
previously a 1984 Winnebago itaska- The Road Warrior, before that several VW Buses and before that a 1965 Chrysler Convertible Newport or our 1969 Chrysler La Barron with an ice box and a couple sleeping bags

Reply #19
Oh my gosh, Karen and Liam, that's unbelievable. What a nightmare.  I have heeded all of the great advise.