Skip to main content
Topic: Questions about 1997 Twin King (Read 227 times) previous topic - next topic
Questions about 1997 Twin King
I just upgraded from my 1987 22' LD to a 1997 model.  Wow, what a step up in driver comfort, power and mileage.  I bought it from the original family owners.

This version has a few differences from mine that I could use some help figuring out.

1. There is a night light under the swing up cutting board that I can't figure how to turn off.  I finally disconnected the wires.

2. Below that night light there what looks like a carbon monoxide or LP gas detector.  Should some of the lights be illuminated?  How do I test it?

3. Lastly for now.  The roll up shades don't work worth beans.  What is a good alternative, or can I order replacements?

Thank you & I'm eager to take my first trip,

Randy

Re: Questions about 1997 Twin King
Reply #1
On my 96 Front Lounge, the switch to turn on the night light is in the overhead bunk, might look up there for it.

I replaced my shades with some blackout ones from Steve's Blinds. They had a pretty good deal going when I did mine and usually do.
I got cordless ones and have had them for 5 years now and they are holding up well.

Hope this helps.
Jota
96 23.5 FL

Reply #2

That night light in my 2003 never worked. I figured that it was too puny to be of much use anyway, so I've ignored its existence.

The detector under the plug is an LPG leak detector; you need a new one! MTI makes an almost direct replacement; it's just a bit smaller than the original. The top link is the white detector, the bottom is what they call "brown". It is actually sort of a taupe, but I doubt that this is an issue. If the thing is working, the little button light shows green.

Amazon.com: MTI Industries 30-442-P-WT Propane Gas Alarm – White: Automotive

Amazon.com: Marine Technologies (30-442-P-BR) Brown LP Leak Detector Flush...

You also need to replace the CO detector (carbon monoxide); the original detector (and replacement for several years) was a Costar. These are no longer made; the Costars just twisted into the original bracket, but someone who has replaced their CO detector recently may offer guidance as to which currently available replacement is the least hassle to install. (I need to know this, too, as mine is at its life end of 5 years!)

Joan

As an Amazon Associate Lazy Daze Owners' Group earns from qualifying purchases.
2003 TK has a new home

Reply #3
P.S. to Randy: OEM shade replacements are available from the factory; I just had all three new ones installed. You might want to call the factory and find out about cost, pick-up (depending on where you are), or shipping. The shades are straightforward to install.
2003 TK has a new home

Reply #4
Thanks for all the good input.  I'm sure there will be more questions in the near future.

Reply #5
Joan and Randy,

A few months ago I posted some details on my Coststar Smoke Alarm failure (it was going off every 30 minutes with no apparent cause).

Vince sent me a replacement Smoke Detector that is also a CO detector. While the twist in bracket is different it does install over the existing space in the ceiling.

I removed the CO detector and plugged the holes in the ceiling. The new Duo Alarm is great. No more alarms going off while cooking small stove top items.

This detector is made by First Alert. Here's a shot of it.

Kent
2015 27' RB "MissB.Haven"

Reply #6
Joan and Randy. The night light switch in my TK is in the cabover on the wall forward of the coach door. It is hidden under the drape for the loft window. Theory being that you can turn it off before using the ladder to get out of bed in the overhead, then turn the light back off upon returning to bed. I replaced that and the step light with LED long ago. We sleep in the King, but leave the light on to avoid stepping on the cats. RonB
RonB (Bostick) living in San Diego
Original owner of "Bluebelle" a '99 TKB

Reply #7
In my 97 it's in the bunk area by the door like everyone else's.  I have an led in it and it stays on as a night light for the kids.
1997 TK