Skip to main content
Topic: Passing on the Fiamma Awning When Ordering New LD (Read 312 times) previous topic - next topic
Passing on the Fiamma Awning When Ordering New LD
Has anyone on this forum ever ordered a new LD and asked that the Fiamma awning be omitted from the order so that a different brand of awning could be installed after taking delivery?  If so, was the appropriate support for a different awning built into the new rig by the factory, for an up-charge? 

Years ago -- actually, decades ago at this point -- we owned a VW Vanagon that had a Fiamma awning. It was a terrible bit of equipment.  We absolutely hated it.  I would love to be able to mount a Dometic manual awning onto a new LD, but am concerned about the mounting sub-structure.

Thanks, all!

Ray S.
2017 RB

Re: Passing on the Fiamma Awning When Ordering New LD
Reply #1
Back when I was just looking I would read the old posts at random just to learn about the RV.  I came across a post where a prospective owner was going to install an awning that would cover the rear window.  I think it was on a TK or MB, this was some 6 years ago I read the post and dont ask how old the post was then.  They talked to the factory about putting bracing in the correct spots behind the exterior wall. 
It would not hurt to ask.  I believe they might go along with not installing the Fatima awning.
John
07 MB
Currently: 2008 36' Tiffin Open Road
Previously: 2007 Mid Bath

Reply #2
Lazy Bones did that, in fact he posted in another thread on what he did. The mothership add support brackets where needed.
Jerry Galang
Meridian, ID 83646

Reply #3
You are spot on Jerry!

Yes, I did ask Steve Newton to delete the Fiamma in lieu of an aftermarket awning. He granted my wish and asked if I knew what awning I would install and where the mounting points would be located. I pointed out to him that I would have an A&E, 20' installed (on 30'IB) and showed him where it would be mounted. During construction he had those mounting points 'blocked' (reinforced) and so it was done. He allowed me full credit for the deletion.   8)
Steve S.
Lazy Bones & Cedar
2004 30'IB (Island Bed)
Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery
Live for the day!

Reply #4
I liked the Fiamma we had on our MB, and wish we had one on our Class A. Funny how that goes.

Mark H
Former owner, 31-foot gas Class A
Former owner, 1997-8 mid-bath

Reply #5
Mark -- We owned that Vanagon back when the youngest was just 7.  Now, he's 41, and his youngest is that age!  Probably a good bet that Fiamma technology has evolved over the years.  But, I KNOW that the Dometic product is sound.  It's not a deal breaker, but I was curious.  Thank you all for the input. Much appreciated.
2017 RB

Reply #6
"Probably a good bet that Fiamma technology has evolved over the years."
----
I had a new Fiamma awning installed at the factory about three weeks ago to replace the 13-year-old original. The new awning seems to be better-designed and cosntructed than the older models, e.g., the fabric is the same, but the "knuckles", the  winding mechanisms, and the arms appear to be sturdier; time will tell, of course.

The awning comes with different attachments for the bracing arms; Vince left these in their bag because it's his opinion that the old "clips" work just as well. We'll see. The original attachment hardware needs sanding and painting; I can probably manage to do that.  ;)  The new awning uses the same attachment points on the motorhome as the old one, but the overall length of the new one is about 3" shorter;  there are slightly "grey" patches of primer showing at each end. These are not really noticeable, so I didn't bother with the additional expense of having these touched up.

Haven't used the awning yet; late fall/winter is not necessarily the best time to test awning function.  ;)

Joan

2003 TK has a new home