Skip to main content
Topic: 24' TK vs. 27' MB (Read 1064 times) previous topic - next topic
24' TK vs. 27' MB
This may have already been discussed in the past. If so, please direct me to the appropriate thread, but in case it hasn't I would like to open up a discussion (especially from owners or former owners of those models) of the pros and cons between the 24' TK and 27' MB.

Thanks!
Greg & Victoria
2017 Mid-Bath  “Nocona” towing a manual 2015 Forester
Previously a 1985 TK
SKP #61264

Re: 24' TK vs. 27' MB
Reply #1
"This may have already been discussed in the past. If so, please direct me to the appropriate thread, but in case it hasn't I would like to open up a discussion (especially from owners or former owners of those models) of the pros and cons between the 24' TK and 27' MB. "

This query should bring out plenty of opinions!  Here's mine as a former owner of a Twin King:

We owned this model for ten years, and had plenny, plenny good times in it.  It was a vacation vehicle, although we did take two trips of three-months' duration.  We were transitioning from having spent the previous six years camping in two different Volkswagen campers, so the fabulousness of the amenities of the TK were nearly overwhelming in scope.  A bathroom . . . and heat !  Paradise!!!

Next up:  a forty-foot DP for 8 years of fulltiming.  Not really a useful comparison here.

Next:  When illness forced us off the road, we eventually purchased another Lazy Daze - this time the 26.5-foot Rear Bath model.  Having spent small amounts of time in a Mid-Bath (which seemed ideally suited for our lifestyle), we did not feel at all comfortable with the pinched-in feeling of the two rooms, so we went with the Rear Bath for the same open feel that we had enjoyed in the Twin King, only with more room for two people to have separate spaces.  We have now had this Rear Bath Lazy Daze for 7.5 years and are still happy with the choice.

Circumstances change over the course of an RV'er's lifetime, and the perfect floorplan for us now would be one of the 31-foot models, wherein there is more room up front, and a separate bedroom in the rear.  But since our Rear Bath is nigh on to being just about perfect, we use it and accommodate the changing circumstances.

On that note, I am pleased to post a photo of a scene which has not happened in over four years!!  Wish us luck!!

So there really is no right answer - only individual circumstances - and even those can change as time marches on.

Reply #2
When we first started looking I wanted to buy a TK.  The RV we were to purchase would be our first RV.  I thought the shorter length would be easier to drive and and park at our home.  Both the wife and I have bad knees so the overhead bunk was always going to be for a guest no mater what kind of RV we purchased.   We liked the bit views of the RK.  

The North East Lazy Daze community had a GTG near by and I finally got to look at a LD for the first time.  I spent a good amount of time in a TK and really liked it.  Then I got to set in a MidBath.  I was very surprised at how much better it was for what Gina and I needed and it was only a little longer.   We like the idea of not having to make the beds to have breakfast.  I am often the first up and have coffee going while Gina sleeps in.  Some nights either Gina or I will stay up late while the other   goes back closing the "bedroom" and goes to sleep.  It is so nice having the extra "room".  

Currently: 2008 36' Tiffin Open Road
Previously: 2007 Mid Bath

Reply #3
We have owned both a MB and currently a TK.
Some of this will be repeat of Judie.

To make the decision, there are a couple of questions you need to answer for yourself. How long will the typical trip last, how many people/animals will typically  be traveling, will you be towing, do you and your SO require much personal space, how much "stuff" do you require.

When we traveled for 6-8 months at a time with three dogs, it was the MB hands down. Not even close. However, friends of ours full time in a TK and love it.  Here is their blog.

J and B and Lady Blue: More Tennessee and Into Arkansas

We now have a TK which we throughly enjoy. Our trips tend in the 3-4 week range mostly within 500 miles from home.

The TK is a shrunken MB. The bath has basically no storage except for the modest medicine cabinet. We put a small end table in the shower and put a plastic box of bathroom stuff on there. Works just fine for our needs but we do miss the, relatively speaking, huge MB bath.
If you don't tow, the smaller TK will be appreciated but we managed with the MB for several years without towing so it is doable.
I used to use the MB dinette area as my personal space. The TK doesn't have a separate dinette area. On the TK I installed the aftermarket swivel seat in place of the passenger seat. Works well for my needs.
We are packing minimalist so the TK has more interior and exterior storage than we need.
The TK is less expensive.

Decisions, decisions.
Enjoy
Ed

Reply #4
One other aspect that should be considered now is the considerable less differential between the lengths of the two floorplans.  Our 1985 TK was the Chevrolet model and only 22 feet long, whereas all of the "long" models were 26.5 feet - a difference of 4.5 feet.  Now the Baby Daze (of any flavor) is 24.5 feet long, so the current difference is only two feet.  That two feet gives a lot more "living" room (i.e., separation factor) for having separate areas for each inhabitant!

Virtual hugs,

Judie

Reply #5
"Our 1985 TK was the Chevrolet model and only 22 feet long, whereas all of the 'long' models were 26.5 feet - a difference of 4.5 feet."

True. The slightly later (1989+) Ford-based small Lazy Dazes, however, were 23.5' long, so they were only three feet shorter than the contemporaneous 26.5' models. And as you know, in 2008 the Ford chassis got a longer "nose," so all models gained six inches. Thus, Lazy Daze's current spec sheet lists the lengths as 24' and 27'... so there is still a three foot difference between the two models.
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"

Reply #6
"I am pleased to post a photo of a scene which has not happened in over four years!!  Wish us luck!"

Happy trails, Judie!
Andy Baird

Reply #7
" so all models gained half an inch. "

I know you meant to say 6" or half a foot.

Ed

Reply #8
My question is; if there is only 2 ' difference between the 2 models why is the TK considered to be easy to park, etc and the MB is not? 

Reply #9
My question is; if there is only 2 ' difference between the 2 models why is the TK considered to be easy to park, etc and the MB is not?

The following is from the '09 spec sheet.

Bumper to bumper coach length.    The 24' is 287" and the 27' is 324" or just over 3 feet.   Add approx. 2” for the rear exterior spare tire cover and an additional 2” for the rear roof rack ladder.

Hope this helps.

Reply #10
Thank you, Traxless. 

Reply #11
"I know you meant to say 6" or half a foot."

Thanks for catching  that, Ed! I went back and corrected it. :-) I'm SO happy with our new forum--I could not have done that on Yahoo!
Andy Baird

Reply #12
We love the two rooms of the 27'.  The 'guest loft' is perfect for golf clubs, art supplies, photo gear, bike gear and the Ukelele.  We weren't interested in the loft sleeping arrangement and greatly prefer the back bedroom/lounge..  We've traveled long stretches in the 27 and want for very little in terms of function and size.

Reply #13
How do you secure the items in your overhead loft when traveling?  Just wondering.
Ross Taylor
2017 MB

Reply #14
"
This query should bring out plenty of opinions!  Here's mine as a former owner of a Twin King:

We owned this model for ten years, and had plenny, plenny good times in it.  It was a vacation vehicle, although we did take two trips of three-months' duration.  We were transitioning from having spent the previous six years camping in two different Volkswagen campers, so the fabulousness of the amenities of the TK were nearly overwhelming in scope.  A bathroom . . . and heat !  Paradise!!!

Next up:  a forty-foot DP for 8 years of fulltiming.  Not really a useful comparison here.

Next:  When illness forced us off the road, we eventually purchased another Lazy Daze - this time the 26.5-foot Rear Bath model.  Having spent small amounts of time in a Mid-Bath (which seemed ideally suited for our lifestyle), we did not feel at all comfortable with the pinched-in feeling of the two rooms, so we went with the Rear Bath for the same open feel that we had enjoyed in the Twin King, only with more room for two people to have separate spaces.  We have now had this Rear Bath Lazy Daze for 7.5 years and are still happy with the choice.

Circumstances change over the course of an RV'er's lifetime, and the perfect floorplan for us now would be one of the 31-foot models, wherein there is more room up front, and a separate bedroom in the rear.  But since our Rear Bath is nigh on to being just about perfect, we use it and accommodate the changing circumstances.

On that note, I am pleased to post a photo of a scene which has not happened in over four years!!  Wish us luck!!

So there really is no right answer - only individual circumstances - and even those can change as time marches on.

Thanks for your response, Judie. I think we will probably go with the 27 footer so let me switch it up and add another question as we are still uncertain which model we prefer, MB or RB. We noticed on the RB floorplan that the fridge will be closed off in the bathroom when the bath room door is shut. Have you found this to be a negative? Other RB owners feel free to chime in!

Greg & Victoria
2017 Mid-Bath  “Nocona” towing a manual 2015 Forester
Previously a 1985 TK
SKP #61264

Reply #15
"Thanks for your response, Judie. I think we will probably go with the 27 footer so let me switch it up and add another question as we are still uncertain which model we prefer, MB or RB. We noticed on the RB floorplan that the fridge will be closed off in the bathroom when the bath room door is shut. Have you found this to be a negative? Other RB owners feel free to chime in!"

Gosh, this is such a subjective thing.  Clearly couples wishing to have two separate areas (for whatever reason) would be much better off (in my opinion!) with a Mid-Bath.  We definitely fell directly and totally into that arena.  I am a lark; DH is an owl.  Need I say more?

BUT - for us - and I speak ONLY for us - there was just something about the tightness of the feeling of the Mid-Bath that made it impossible for me to sit in it on the showroom floor.  DH and Ed were chatting away in the back, but I had to flee.  Note:  I am not claustrophobic in any way, and happily sleep in the overcab bed (in the TK, the Volkswagens before it, and in our current Sportsmobile) as well as overhead in the Rear Bath, all constricted spaces.  We even have a very thick memory foam mattress over the cab in our Rear Bath, so the space above my head is fairly shallow.  This does not bother me at all.

So, I don't really know how to explain the problem.  When visiting with others in their Mid-Bath units, I have no problem for that short while, but am always relieved to step out the door.

I cannot explain it any better than that.  Even knowing that my life would be infinitely easier overall with two separate use areas, I am content with the vagaries of dealing with one large, open space.  Night sleeping is not a problem, as that is inherently two separate spaces.  DH is awake for several hours after I go to sleep, so he has the run of the entire coach, and this does not impact me in any way.

However, because of his illness, he sleeps in a La Fuma zero gravity chair between the couch and the two chairs, and he does this for several hours after I wake up in the morning.  This makes for something of a problem for me to function in the mornings.  He is a good sleeper, so if I am reasonably careful with loud crash/bangs in the kitchen, he stays asleep.  He also requires an extensive nap in the afternoon . . . so you can see where this is leading.

These are our particular problems with the Rear Bath, which, though they sound daunting in the typing, are not all that bad considering the alternative - FOR US!  Your use and feelings may be entirely different, but this is my best effort to convey a personal view.

We feel completely comfortable in the Rear Bath when both of us are awake and appreciate the open feel.  Both areas of a Mid-Bath feel too congested to me.  I might add that we do not have any pets and are not large people at 5'6", and neither of us weighs as much as the allotted per passenger poundage as shown on the Lazy Daze spec sheet.  I would be interested to hear how others of different stature feel about these spaces.

One of the ways that we cope with this situation is that we continue to use our Sportsmobile camper as our "toad", even though I must drive it separately.  We bought this unit when we were fulltiming as an adjunct to the giant motorhome, so we could go on short visits to smaller areas like NFS campgrounds from time to time.  It worked perfectly for that purpose.  Now its use is as a "retreat", as needed.  At nap time, I frequently gather up an electronic gadget and go plop on the couch in the Sportsmobile.  Like as not, I fall asleep.  When the sleeper in the main cabin awakes, he jingles my telephone and we are re-united for our afternoon coffee, spirited conversation, and foot massages.  (Yes, we have a lot of rituals.)

There are just so many factors involved that it is difficult to explain it fully in words.  As I mentioned in a previous post, the larger space in the front of a 31-foot unit and a separate bedroom would go a long way to solving our problems, but what we have works well enough that the effort to change out the Lazy Daze would not be worth it so long as we have the Sportsmobile to provide the extra space.  We would still keep (and use) the Sportsmobile even if we changed out the Lazy Daze, so nothing to be gained there.  We have no intention of ever towing, and the much lower payload on a 31-footer would pose a problem for a man who likes to carry a small library of books with him everywhere.  NB:  Our 40-footer had a payload of 4850# and we were always just barely under - within 100# of capacity!

But your question was about the refrigerator's location.  I must say that this has never posed anything like a problem compared to the other aberrations noted above, but we are not long-term users of the bathroom - I don't wear make up or curl my hair.  The refrigerator is pretty much accessible as needed, even if the bathroom is occupied.  Unless complete privacy for every bathroom task is necessary, a quick open/grab shouldn't pose a problem if it becomes necessary.  But even this has happened so seldom I cannot specifically recall such an event.

Probably TMI already, but if you have any specific questions, do not hesitate to ask.  ;->

Virtual hugs,

Judie

Reply #16
We noticed on the RB floorplan that the fridge will be closed off in the bathroom when the bath room door is shut. Have you found this to be a negative? Other RB owners feel free to chime in!
I've only had 25 days experience with the RB, so this is based on very limited experience. The fridge location is a negative occasionally, but a positive most of the time. The worst case scenario is when someone who likes to sit on the "throne" 15+ minutes (hope that's not TMI) occupies the bathroom during meal prep time. In my extended family we anticipate when that might happen, so we make sure to grab everything necessary from the fridge before the door closes.

But the very large majority of time the fridge-in-a-bathroom location effectively enlarges the size of the kitchen. I personally prefer the sink-stove-fridge lineup in the RB over the stove-sink---fridge (a bit further away, and in my old '99 TK, the fridge door bangs into the fold-up counter extension). As always, YMMV. There are trade-offs involved with each floor plan.
Andrew
2008 Rear Bath
(previously 1999 TK)

Reply #17
How do you secure the items in your overhead loft when traveling?  Just wondering.
I only put large, soft, and somewhat light items up top.  I learned this the hard way when a Nikon D300 with a heavy lens fell and hit my shoulder with a glancing blow.  No damage to shoulder or camera but it was a lesson.  For pads and blankets I put a small item under a pad that causes things above it to bounce forward.
Note the camera was placed well forward and to the side of the folded bunk, but just normal driving vibrations caused it to walk around and look for me. 
John
07 MB
Currently: 2008 36' Tiffin Open Road
Previously: 2007 Mid Bath

Reply #19
"there was just something about the tightness of the feeling of the Mid-Bath that made it impossible for me to sit in it on the showroom floor."

When I toured a midbath in the Lazy Daze factory, I noticed how gloomy and claustrophobic the center passageway between bathroom and wardrobe felt. Stepping outside the rig, I saw the reason: the showroom ceiling is quite low and is sparsely illuminated, and there was no light fixture above the vent/skylight amidships.

Now, the "one big room" rear bath model clearly does feel more open than the "two rooms and a passageway" midbath floorplan. Either layout can be good or bad, depending upon your needs. I'm just saying that if you tour a midbath in the factory, you may be seeing it at its worst. Outside in the daylight, the midsection is a whole lot brighter and cheerier.
Andy Baird

Reply #20
As some may know, I have a 23.5' TK, delivered in November, 2003; the selection, ordering, pick-up, and post-delivery experiences are described in a 4-part series of articles titled, "Long Road to a Lazy Daze". The articles are posted here:

The Lazy Daze Companion: Buy New Lazy Daze

I never got around to chronicling  part 5 (6, 7...), partly due to "goseedoing" in the rig, which now is a few tire rotations away from 100k, but I may add to the series to include equipment changes, any issues, steps along the learning curve, etc., if I can remember the last 50k or so! But, I can offer a few current/still valid observations and why the 23.5' works for me.

(NB: My comments pertain primarily to the size, capacities, and layout of the 23.5'. LD has made many positive changes to its models over the past 13 years (the Ford E450 has also changed), but the basic floor plans and design have remained pretty much the same.)

“Plus Points” of the 23.5' (24') TK (and the FL and FD on some points) then and now.

The 23.5' is well-matched to the 158” stock Ford wheelbase, chassis capacity, and V-10; there's an abundance of CCC (I waited to order until LD put the small rig on the E450 with a gvwr of 14050 pounds; the E350 had a gvwr of 11500, and even the small units were often maxed out.) There's even more capacity now that the current E450 models have a gvwr of 14500 pounds.), adequate exterior storage space (with a few “height challenges”), and a strong, reliable, proven engine.

The 23.5' fits, drives, parks, and maneuvers in places where a 26.5' (27') could have issues; the width of the 26.5'/27' and the smaller unit are the same, but the additional 3' of length and differing “driving dynamics”, e.g., proportionally longer rear overhang, of the larger rig can make a difference.

For the above reasons, the small unit is a better choice (IMO) for those who don't tow.

The TK is an open floor plan; it “flows”. The large windows give a feeling of space and provide more light. (Ditto the MB, which is pretty much a stretched TK, but with a dinette and and, unfortunately, an over-the-wheel-well toilet that requires that one not be afflicted with acrophobia.) The galley area of the TK offers adequate food prep space, even for "scratch cooks", which I am.

The TK offers adequate living space and capacities (particularly current models which have much more generous tank sizes!) for one or two people (and pets of limited sizes and numbers). I am not a fulltimer and I travel solo with a medium-sized dog; if I were a fulltimer, or if I traveled with another person and/or more/larger animals, I'd consider the MB, despite the elevated toilet.

A Couple “Not So Plus Points” of the TK.

The fold-down table can be a bit of a nuisance, particularly if one or both of the couches are left made up and used as beds; bedding can make it more difficult to squeeze one's legs under the table, and leaving a laptop or other "stuff" on the table isn't practical. (Also, the upper rear cabinet can difficult to reach with the table down.) I'd much prefer a dinette, but in the TK, the fold-down table is what there is for eating or work space. (I sleep in the overcab, so the couch-made-into-a-bed is not an issue except with an occasional guest.)

The bath area has the basics and is functional, but it's admittedly tight; I've built a couple of one-holer outhouses that were larger! I'm used to it and have no problems with the small space, but its size, lack of storage (I out up a wire shelving unit years ago to store basic supplies), and wall cut-out behind the driver's seat to allow seat back adjustment are deal-breakers for some.

As said before, LD has made a lot of changes to the interior and experior since 2003; some of these are not necessarily noted as upgrades, if they're noted at all, by buyers who have no experience with previous LD incarnations. Among the many changes (in just the LD “box”), a few real positives (there are many) for all models are better insulation, thicker aluminum on the roof, galley layout and hardware improvements, vinyl-lined compartments, increased tank capacities for the small rigs (Can one still be POed over LD's “disingenuous” black tank capacity mis-listing? Yes, one can.), and the elimination of carpeting in the living area! TA DA!

One good measure of satisfaction with a particular model is if an owner would buy the same model again! This TK is my last rig; I expect it to keep rolling for a long time to come, but if I were to order another LD, the answer would be a (mildly qualified) yes to another TK. I don't like the "modern" paint scheme or the dump valve set-up on the recent/current TK, but (among several other functional and cosmetic upgrades) the tank capacities (including LPG) have been increased, the insulation improved, the galley layout/sink access is more convenient, and the exterior compartments are lined with the same vinyl as the interior.

I have not driven an E450 with the 6-speed transmission, but I would be interested to hear reports on those who have driven the 4R100 4-speed (in my 2003), the 5R100 (tow haul), and the current 6-speed. (I have never liked the gear ratios and the "hunt mode" on the 4R100.)

As others have said, rig model choice is a very personal, "YMMV" decision; what one person thinks is the optimum layout is "no way" to another. One-dimensional floor plan renderings provide only a general idea of how well a particular model will fit one's life and travel styles; those new to RVing in general and to LD in particular, especially if planning to order new, are always encouraged to visit as many models as they can!  Perceptions gained from "flat" diagrams can, and do, change when one sees the real thing!  ;)

Joan

2003 TK has a new home

Reply #21
We added an extra "office" area to our TK by installing a swivel seat base for the passenger seat. A milk crate on its side between the two front seats provides a place for shoes below, and a place to store the laptop above. My 12-volt power adapter plugs into the socket on the dash. It's a nice arrangement especially when DH's occasional remote-work sessions coincide with my occasional webmaster duties.

I'm too decrepit to climb up and down a ladder any more, so he gets the top bunk while I sleep in the back.

We've been full-time for almost six months at this point and have had very little trouble adapting to a very small space. The TK was an upgrade from a 21' BT Cruiser (named Perfect Tommy) so the SK-POD TK feels very spacious :-)

fu
fu
2015TK

Reply #24
"How do you secure the items in your overhead loft when traveling?  Just wondering."

Knowing that items 'walk' forward during travel, we have placed a large sheet of thin (?1/8") Formica laminate on top of the loft mattress.  All stowed items are in bins.  The bins walk forward during travel, and can be pulled off with relative ease when we need to fetch something.  The laminate makes a more slippery surface than the fabric for moving bins around.   I suppose if we rolled the rig, it would be really ugly, because the bins aren't secured beyond the natural forward motion and strategic packing.