Skip to main content
Topic: Kitchen Counter Extension Problem (Read 241 times) previous topic - next topic
Kitchen Counter Extension Problem
Recently we have had the countertop extension give way when much of any weight is placed on it. We use it fairly often and this isn't normal behavior. And no, I'm not talking about some ridiculous amount of weight.

Not sure what the problem is and have no idea how to fix the existing arm since I can't see a problem. The spring is not broken. Would this be something you can find at a Lowe's or HD?

Jim

Re: Kitchen Counter Extension Problem
Reply #1

I didn't see any drop-leaf hinges (of the type used by Lazy Daze) on either Lowe's or HD's websites, but these may be worth checking out. (Hardware Source has a big hinges-of-all-types inventory!)

Amazon.com: Stanley Hardware CD1956 10" Drop Leaf Support in Black Coated:...

Hinged Drop Leaf Table Support | HardwareSource.com

Joan

As an Amazon Associate Lazy Daze Owners' Group earns from qualifying purchases.
2003 TK has a new home

Reply #2

The bracket used by Lazy Daze (at least in my 2003 midbath) is a flimsy item. The first things to fail are usually the rivets that holds the "knee" together. I drilled them out and replaced them with a machine screw and nut, but eventually that too wore out.

I ended up replacing the single flimsy bracket with a pair of these much sturdier ones. These are currently supporting a 15" x 16.5" x 0.75" teak cutting board that I've put in place of the tiny Lazy Daze counter extension, and they are solid! :-) And needless to say, it's great to have a larger work surface in the kitchen... especially one that I can cut on.

As an Amazon Associate Lazy Daze Owners' Group earns from qualifying purchases.
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"

Reply #3
Jim

You've got the 30' rig and as such do you have that folding shelf behind the toilet???

Why not scavenge it's support bracket for the kitchen, or even swap the two?   ::)
Steve S.
Lazy Bones & Cedar
2004 30'IB (Island Bed)
Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery
Live for the day!

Reply #4
Jim

You've got the 30' rig and as such do you have that folding shelf behind the toilet???

Why not scavenge it's support bracket for the kitchen, or even swap the two?   ::)

We looked at that but the one for the bathroom shelf seems to short to support much weight. Thanks for the suggestion.

Jim

Reply #5
Thanks Joan and Andy. I couldn't think of what these were called.

The length on ours is 12" not including the pieces where the screws go and our shelf depth is almost 12" so I'm thinking that the 8" version of what you have Andy would work

Do you think one of these hinges would be enough support?

Jim

Reply #6
"Do you think one of these hinges would be enough support?"
----
JMO, but if the lightweight fiberglass shelf section is replaced with a heavier wooden cutting board, I'd use two drop hinges. Bamboo is lighter than oak, maple, or teak, all common woods for cutting boards, but even bamboo would be heavier than the flimsy fiberglass. And, doing food prep, including "enthusiastic" chopping, on a poorly supported surface might result in cleaning the floor more often than than was previously necessary! (To say nothing of losing whatever was being hacked up!)  ;)

Joan
2003 TK has a new home

Reply #7
I do a lot of "enthusiastic chopping"!  To say the least - I do some mighty whacking of items in the kitchen . . . BUT . . . I do it on a glass cutting board that is lying across either the sink(s) or the stove.  I have two such cutting boards (longer than they are wide), and these guys are just invaluable for the practically non-existent counter space that is available in a rear bath Lazy Daze.  They are also heat resistant, which makes them perfect for putting on the table as a temporary resting place for hot items (or cold, for that matter).

I have a photo of this - somewhere.  If I can locate it, I will post it in a bit.

Virtual hugs,

Judie

•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•

Reply #8
I copied Andy and also mounted a wooden cutting board in lieu of the fiberglass thing that the factory installed. Mine is Rock Maple and measures 16 x 14 x 1¼" thick. I do not remember what it weighs but it's substantial. I used the original folding mounting bracket that came with the 1st installation, right down to the same screws and screw holes. Mine has held up without failure for over ten years.  ;)
Steve S.
Lazy Bones & Cedar
2004 30'IB (Island Bed)
Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery
Live for the day!

Reply #9
This isn't the exact picture I was looking for, but it will do.  The glass cutting board shown at right side of picture is one of a pair.  Here it is sitting on the stove top (cover can be either up or down).  The other one can go over the open sink, or over both sinks.  It all depends on what I am trying to accomplish.  I can get about five or six feet of counter space this way,but lose the direct use of the sink.  BUT - a simple lift of the cutting board reveals the sink for use, or for just stashing something in there after use, awaiting the wash cycle.

I actually use the flip up counter, which is very narrow in the RB model, to support the left end of one of the cutting boards, and put the dish drainer on it while doing dishes.  I put a little prop under the left-hand end, which tilts the whole thing just enough to have the dishes' drainage go directly into the sink, while not actually obstructing the use of the sink.  Thus I can wash in the right-hand side, rinse in the left, and put the dishes onto the counter to drain.

I haven't tried to attach a picture to a post, so this will be a first for me.

Virtual hugs,

Judie

Dorrie Anne counter space.jpg (72.52 KB)

Reply #10
This isn't the exact picture I was looking for, but it will do.  The glass cutting board shown at right side of picture is one of a pair.  Here it is sitting on the stove top (cover can be either up or down).  The other one can go over the open sink, or over both sinks.  It all depends on what I am trying to accomplish.  I can get about five or six feet of counter space this way,but lose the direct use of the sink.  BUT - a simple lift of the cutting board reveals the sink for use, or for just stashing something in there after use, awaiting the wash cycle.

I actually use the flip up counter, which is very narrow in the RB model, to support the left end of one of the cutting boards, and put the dish drainer on it while doing dishes.  I put a little prop under the left-hand end, which tilts the whole thing just enough to have the dishes' drainage go directly into the sink, while not actually obstructing the use of the sink.  Thus I can wash in the right-hand side, rinse in the left, and put the dishes onto the counter to drain.

I haven't tried to attach a picture to a post, so this will be a first for me.

Virtual hugs,

Judie

Dorrie Anne counter space.jpg (72.52 KB)
Is there any reason you couldn't put a larger flip up counter extension a la the comments above in the RB? If it were up and you needed to exit the LD, you might have to be careful, but I would think there should be enough room.
Chris
Formerly: 2002 30' IB

Reply #11
"Is there any reason you couldn't put a larger flip up counter extension a la the comments above in the RB? If it were up and you needed to exit the LD, you might have to be careful, but I would think there should be enough room."

It's a fairly tight passage as it is. A longer one might just be too much of an obstruction. I figured that I would use it the way it is until that proved unsatisfactory, and then search out a solution. So far, the very portable and useful cutting boards have been more than satisfactory.

Virtual hugs,

Judie

Dorrieanne.wordpress.com

Reply #12
I have a 2007 RB and the hinge failed last year. I went to my local Ace Hardware and purchased a replacement hinge which came in a package of two. Not expensive as I recall. I took the failed one with me to make sure it was a match.

I've thought of making the extension bigger, however it seems it would interfere with the three switches for the electric step, outdoor lights and the indoor switch as well.

Andrea