Skip to main content
Topic: Kwikee levelers make clunking noise (Read 318 times) previous topic - next topic
Kwikee levelers make clunking noise
Sometimes when I am camped using my Kwikee levelers there is an occasional clunking noise coming from somewhere under the RV, I think more on the passenger than driver side.  The sound makes me think two metal parts develope some tension and the noise is made when they slip against each other (just a guess based on what it seams to sound like).

Does anyone know what may be causing this noise.  And is it likely to be anything to get concerned about or just a minor irritation?

Thanks for any ideas,
Jay Carlson
2003  LD RB
2005 Bigfoot 40MH35LX
rvingjaygwynne.wordpress.com

Re: Kwikee levelers make clunking noise
Reply #1
Well, at least now I know that it's not just me...   :o

When I have the rear levelers extended beyond about half extension I have, on occasion, heard/felt a slight 'bump in the night', so to speak. It totally freaks out the dog. I have always attributed it to a loss of hydraulic pressure for just an instant, but I'm not positive that is what's happening. Wish I knew the answer but have not had any other issues and so I tend to ignore it.   :-X
Steve S.
Lazy Bones & Cedar
2004 30'IB (Island Bed)
Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery
Live for the day!

Reply #2
Hi Jay. The usual installation for Kwikee levelers has four 'C' channel sections welded to your frame, then each leveler is bolted to the channel. You might want to check for loose bolts, or broken welds. In addition the kick down portion pivots on the end of the ram as it descends, but before the foot hits the ground. You should check that these pivots are working correctly. Put each foot down until it just touches, then up about two inches, and you should be able to rotate the folding portion by hand. Look to see if the rams are rubbing on something, and that they aren't bent. HTH RonB
RonB (Bostick) living in San Diego
Original owner of "Bluebelle" a '99 TKB

Reply #3
I had a similar problem a couple of years ago - the noise seemed to come from one leveler in particular. Closer examination found that it had a very slight leak of hydraulic fluid because the cylinder was pitted. I think the clunking noise was from the cylinder working upwards as the weight of the rig pushed down on it. It was happening 3-4 times a day. The solution was to remove the jack, take it apart and have the cylinder re-machined. No problems since then.

Reply #4
Thanks Ron and Ted.  I did not find any bolt that could be tightened much at all.  I think they all pivot ok.  My wife actually is the one who plays with these (seams like the front passenger side may need more than average playing) which sometimes helps while I operate the controls usually.
  I did not see anything that looked cracked on the welds.  I don't know much about welding but the welds on one side of the U Chanel on the passenger rear look less uniform than all others, but I doubt this is a problem.  Amazing amount of load on a small area at the welds it look like to me.
  I measured the length of the ram (? Shiny extended tube, if I am getting the terms right).  I will be here for a couple more weeks so I figure if I have hydrolic leak like Ted had it should get shorter as it lowers. 
I had a hydronic hose leak about a year ago on the suspect leveler.  Both hoses were replaced back to the master cylinder.  The problem was a hose was rubbing where it rested on a not sharp but thin (1/16") piece of metal.  I think it was never suspended well on original install.  I wonder if  the lines may need bleeding to get rid of air bubbles?  I don't know if we ever had the noises before that repair.  It has been happening for many months anyway.
The noise happened twice while I was under the RV, and it was hard to tell where it comes from even then.  I think it has been off and on perhaps depending on which levelers are most raised, but has been getting more frequent.
Jay Carlson
2003  LD RB
2005 Bigfoot 40MH35LX

Reply #5
Jay, did you check out the cylinders when extended to see if any were pitted? That was the cause of the slight leak on mine.

Reply #6
Ted, I do not see any pits or damage to the cylinder on the noisy passenger rear cylinder, which is fully extended.   I am assuming the cylinder is the shiny Crome tube that extends down to raise the RV.   When yours was leaking could you see hydraulic  fluid leaking from the outside?  I see no leaking fluid.   I don't have all the other levelers fully extended, so I can't see all the cylinders completely but see no damage.

I measured the length of the extended cylinder and it did not noticeably change after a day.  So if it is lowering it is a very slow process.  I supported that corner of the RV with a bottle Jack, like you would to change a tire.  The noise stopped.  The Kwikee leveler foot never left the ground even though the tire was over an inch off the ground.   When I dropped it back onto the Kwikee leveler the noise resumed, but not as frequent as it had been.  Next I lifted it with the bottle Jack on the frame right where the U channel with the Kwikee leveler attaches.  Noise stopped again, so I am convinced it was coming from the leveler. 

I now plan to remove the bottle Jack and measure the cylinder and see if it settles after a few days.  It may only make the noise when it is fully extended or near fully extended.  It will take a couple camp moves to get a better idea.

Jay Carlson
2003  LD RB
2005 Bigfoot 40MH35LX

Reply #7
"It may only make the noise when it is fully extended..."

That has also been my experience!   ::)
Steve S.
Lazy Bones & Cedar
2004 30'IB (Island Bed)
Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery
Live for the day!

Reply #8
Yes, Jay, the cylinder did have a slight coating of fluid on it and it was wetting the top of the pad. It was very slight, but definitely was occurring. It's interesting that you aren't finding any leaking fluid.

Reply #9
Hi Jay. Like any fluid, Think red liquid in a thermometer, it expands and contracts with hot/cold variations. So very small movements of the jack while supporting your motorhome (thousandths of an inch) might be audible. RonB
RonB (Bostick) living in San Diego
Original owner of "Bluebelle" a '99 TKB

Reply #10
Thanks again for the feedback.  I think my problem is just noise and can be left as is.   ;)
Jay Carlson
2003  LD RB
2005 Bigfoot 40MH35LX