Skip to main content
Topic: Water Pump (Read 128 times) previous topic - next topic
Water Pump
I have a 2001 RK.

I plan to buy a water pump for a spare before we hit the road for the winter.  I checked the tech forum and it appears that the consensus for reliability is a Shurflo 4008.  Some questions:

1.  Does the group agree with the Shurflo 4008 option?

2. If my pump is original, will the 4008 be a direct replacement not needing piping or other modifications?

3. Will it be obvious on how to electrically wire it, including the pressure control?  Is adjusting the pressure setpoint obvious?

4. I noticed reference to inlet and outlet filters in one of the threads I read.  Should I be cleaning these filters?

5. My system has always given a high speed thumping sound after a faucet is on for awhile.  I completely drain down and flush the water heater tank each year (opening a hot water sink valve), reestablishing the air cushion pocket.  As the air cushion decreases, the thumping starts sooner in a use. 
     Does this thumping mean my pump is about to go (I've had the rig for over a year and it has always done it)?
     Might dirty filters cause this thumping?

Thanks for the help.  I really appreciate the time folks put into helping the clueless:-(

Bob, '01 RK

Re: Water Pump
Reply #1
Let me take a stab at this...

1. I just installed the 4008 in my '04 30'IB! I see you have a 26.5' unit. The plumbing is different, one to the other.

2. Shurflow has made changes recently (since 2001 and 2004) having to do with the type of fittings they use. My old fittings were clamp-on and the new ones are screw-on. They do send the new fittings with the pump but I had need of one elbow that they did not send... I found what I needed at West Marine.

3. Simple as pie... just two wires, red and black. Instead of wire nuts or solder I used polarized quick disconnects (Audiopipe AQK-12-10BG) to simplify connection/reconnection in the future. It was necessary for me to reset the pressure. As delivered my pump chattered/surged before I turned the pressure adjustment about ΒΌ turn CW. It's a tiny allen screw and you may run into clearance problems!

4. It is recommended that you clean the filter (between tank and pump) but mine had been in service for 12 years and was clean as a whistle.  :o

5. Any time you get that "thumping" sound it's time to reestablish the bubble in the tank. A change of elevation is enough to cause the problem. Turn off your pump, disconnect the city water, open more than one set of valves, lift the pressure relief valve on the water heater and when the excess water has drained away snap the relief valve closed with gusto. No, the thumping sound is not a precursor to a pump failure, it's a common occurrence.

Hope this does not muddy the water.   :D
Steve S.
Lazy Bones & Cedar
2004 30'IB (Island Bed)
Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery
Live for the day!