Skip to main content
Topic: Reflectix and blown seals in double-glazed windows? (Read 264 times) previous topic - next topic
Reflectix and blown seals in double-glazed windows?
I've noted a number of folks having problems with moisture between panes of their double-glazed windows, and I wonder if there is some relationship between that and the use of Reflectix insulation against the inside pane in hot weather? The Reflectix manufacturer recommends not using the material this way, and I could see how resultant heat buildup could blow the seals. I would be interested if any folks had seal failure in windows where Reflectix is used, and not in ones without?

Steve
2004 FL
2013 Honda Fit

Re: Reflectix and blown seals in double-glazed windows?
Reply #1
Never have used Reflectix anywhere. Fogged back window, so no cause-effect relationship with my rig.

Joan
2003 TK has a new home

Reply #2
We use Reflectix on the vents and glass in the cab. Never put it on the Hehr windows. My theory is bending and twisting the rig on some back roads may cause the fogging. 

Still hoping someone will report success in having the fogged windows rejuvenated at some cost less than having the Mothership replace them.
Don & Dorothy
Sold our LD in June of 2023

Our boring always non-PC travel blog
Traveling Dorothy

Reply #3
I have a 2003 mid-bath with a fogged rear window. We have never used Reflectix, but I had wondered if my use of a fresnel lens on the rear window had concentrated heat in one area causing the window to fog?

The first time I saw the fogged window, I had the LD parked with the rear window exposed to a very hot sunny exposure. I had left the rig for a while and returned to check on our cat. It had gotten hot in the rig so I ran the genset so I could cool down the interior. After around a half hour, (I think the cool air from the air conditioner was hitting the rear window), I saw a fogged area the size of a dinner plate right above the fresnel lens. It disappeared during the evening but that was the start of it for us.

I would like to remedy this, but a trip from Ohio to the factory for replacement is not under discussion.

Steve K.
Steve K

2003 Mid-bath

Reply #4
I have a 2003 mid-bath with a fogged rear window. We have never used Reflectix, but I had wondered if my use of a fresnel lens on the rear window had concentrated heat in one area causing the window to fog?

The first time I saw the fogged window, I had the LD parked with the rear window exposed to a very hot sunny exposure. I had left the rig for a while and returned to check on our cat. It had gotten hot in the rig so I ran the genset so I could cool down the interior. After around a half hour, (I think the cool air from the air conditioner was hitting the rear window), I saw a fogged area the size of a dinner plate right above the fresnel lens. It disappeared during the evening but that was the start of it for us.

I would like to remedy this, but a trip from Ohio to the factory for replacement is not under discussion.

Steve K.

Steve, we have had the fresnel lens for the past 9 years and ours hasn't been garaged in that time. Our back glass hasn't had a problem. However, we have the 30' IB and perhaps there is some difference in the window design.

Jim

Reply #5
"I had wondered if my use of a fresnel lens on the rear window had concentrated heat in one area causing the window to fog?"

Seems very unlikely, if for no other reason than that by the time the sun reaches the lens, it has already passed through the window and is on its way to the interior of the coach--so any concentration could not affect the glass.
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"