Reply #50
"and if you enjoy coffee (who doesn't?), "

Neither my wife nor dog likes coffee. 😱

Ed

Re: Coffee
Reply #51
I'm not a coffee drinker either 👻
Daughter of the first Lazy Bones
Hitting the road on my own and with a friend 🚐 while reporting back to the Lazy Bones at home 🛋

2 Lazy Bones - Home

Reply #52

"... nor dog likes coffee..."

Ed,

You are sooo lucky. I can't count how many times that I have come back to my coffee cup only to find it drained.

I look over at Yuki and she is smerking at me with a coffee moustache and a glow in her eyes

Bad dog. Here's a shot of her all hopped up on caffeine driving her sister to Vegas. What a kid.

Kent

2015 27' RB "MissB.Haven"

Reply #53
"...(who doesn't?),..."

Me doesn't! Or should that be stated 'I doesn't' or perhaps 'I do not!'

One cup in the morning but only in cold weather is quite sufficient to my taste. For other times, expecialy in warm weather milk is my beverage of choice. And I probably never will understand the thinking of folks who drink a soda with their EggMcMuffins. 
Steve S.
Lazy Bones & Cedar
2004 30'IB (Island Bed)
Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery
Live for the day!

Reply #54
Lazybones said, "...milk is my beverage of choice. "

Me, too!  Unfortunately, I could never get enough milk/cream/sugar to make coffee palatable.

Cue Barbra Streisand & Mem'ries...We moved to town when I started first grade, but I can remember going to the barn with my dad to milk & Mother skimming the cream--some went on fresh strawberries or peaches in the summer, but most went into a little Daisy (or is it Dazey) churn to make butter.  I was in college before I learned most people don't drink milk three meals a day (we had it at breakfast & supper, & naturally at noon with the school lunch program); it's best when it's just this side of ice crystals, but I can't stand it warm unless it's got chocolate in it.  I suppose I could learn to drink yak's milk if I had to, but I've always been glad God made cows.   :)

Lynne
Lynne
LDy Lulubelle, Green '05 31' TB
Lilly, the 4-Legged Alarm

Reply #55
Lynne said:

"I could never get enough milk/cream/sugar to make coffee palatable."

:D  When I was a lad attending middle school it happened that the restaurant where my mother worked as a waitress was on my route to school and I would stop there for breakfast. When I asked if I could have coffee my mother, in her infinite wisdom, delivered it as half & half. I got so sick of that brew that to this day I will only drink my coffee BLACK.

She also insisted that I sit at the lunch counter among all those burley workmen. Again I will avoid taking a seat at a lunch counter if there is any other option.  :-[
Steve S.
Lazy Bones & Cedar
2004 30'IB (Island Bed)
Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery
Live for the day!

Reply #56
Caffienated is a good documentary of where coffee is going. My son (did I mention he is a big wig?) is in the film. He trained some of the judges.

I started a dissertation on the finer points he has taught me, but as I read the draft I was struck by how pedantic it was. Delete.

Suffice it to say, I really like that there are a growing set of enthusiasts who take thinks like coffee, a basic every day commodity, and elevate it to an art.
Paul
'92 Mid Bath

Reply #57
Caffienated is a good documentary of where coffee is going. My son (did I mention he is a big wig?) is in the film. He trained some of the judges.

I started a dissertation on the finer points he has taught me, but as I read the draft I was struck by how pedantic it was. Delete.

Suffice it to say, I really like that there are a growing set of enthusiasts who take thinks like coffee, a basic every day commodity, and elevate it to an art.

Pedantic? Wow, had to look that word up Paul!  :-[
Greg & Victoria
2017 Mid-Bath  “Nocona” towing a manual 2015 Forester
Previously a 1985 TK
SKP #61264

Reply #58
I try to be as loquacious as possible these days. Have been reading quite a bit of civil war history, Churchill, and The Oregon Trail by Francis Parkman. The command of the English language is inspirational.
Paul
'92 Mid Bath

Reply #59
I try to be as loquacious as possible these days. Have been reading quite a bit of civil war history, Churchill, and The Oregon Trail by Francis Parkman. The command of the English language is inspirational.

On the other hand, never waste fifty cent words on a ten cent audience. 😱

Reply #60
Hold it a second so I can find my piggy bank. I may need to up my "auntie" for some a them high falootin' words you be sproutin'. 😼

Kent

Reply #61
Kent said, <... "auntie"...>

Auntie Who...& where/how far are you going to >up< her?   ;)   ;D

Lynne
Lynne
LDy Lulubelle, Green '05 31' TB
Lilly, the 4-Legged Alarm

Reply #62
Oh yeah! Are we talking 'bout coffee again? I always keep an eye open for coffee talk.

Early morning coffee on the lake is best...

Kent

Reply #63
A question for you coffee experts: What is the best way to store beans? What is the best way to store after you grind the beans?
Thanks!
Greg & Victoria
Previously a 1985 TK
SKP #61264

Reply #64
The best way to store the unground beans is in a grinder, and the best way to store a ground bean is in a cup of coffee about to be drunk.   ;-)
Currently: 2008 36' Tiffin Open Road
Previously: 2007 Mid Bath

Reply #65

"...the best way to store a ground bean is in a cup of coffee about to be drunk..."

No doubt John is a purist...pure and simple drink it all up.

I used to store ground coffee in the freezer until a "purist" (was that you, John?) told me that it did no good.

Then I vacuum sealed it and another
told me I was wasting my breath.

Now I just place it on the shelf either whole or ground. Drink it as I go and then buy some more.

But others may differ in their approach... How to Store Coffee

I guess it's all a matter of taste. 😎

Kent

Reply #66
I try to never grind ahead of brewing. When boondocking I use a hand grinder as part of the ritual. A burr grinder is the best way to get a consistent grind. In rare occasions pre grinding must be tolerated. It's not a crime.

Bean storage? If you buy grocery store coffee make it Dunkin. Their roast is not charred. But the coffee has a shelf life that is ridiculously long. Likely the beans have been sitting in transit for a month since  roastbed before you get them. No  storage method will fix that. This was Starbucks prime issue with going into mass retailers to sell beans. But they managed to get over their concern for optimum quality due to a need for maximum brand dominance.

Just buy it,  grind it, brew it,  drink it.  Coffee is best roasted less and fresh. Between 3 days and 14 days post roast.
Paul
'92 Mid Bath

Reply #67
Thanks Kent. I do like my coffee and try to buy it in amounts that last a month or so.   I do spend extra for locally roasted beans. Mayorga (Mayorgaorganics.com available at local Costco stores) has a plant near by in Rockville MD so the dark roast we like is fairly fresh when we get it.
John.

I had to edit the post to change Ken to Kent.  Sorry Kent.
Currently: 2008 36' Tiffin Open Road
Previously: 2007 Mid Bath

Reply #68
Consumers Report did a comparison on coffee recently.
Here is how they described my personal favorite;  Great Value Classic Roast Instant.

"Bright cup with lots of top notes of milk chocolate, fruit, citrus, floral, buttery toast and honey. Balanced. Medium body."

Ed
😉
Life is too short to take seriously.

Reply #69
It may seem hard to believe, especially for those who favor the Charbucks roast, but coffee properly grown, harvested, processed and roasted has a great deal of nuanced flavors.

Like wine, the area it is grown in and the varietal of plant begins distinguishing the end flavor, ie:  Central American coffees grown in volcanic soil at high altitude tend to be bright, with hints of citrus flavor. Ethiopian beans tend to be  earthy and have chocolate overtones.

My wife can pick these flavors out immediately. My palate has been too abused over the years to get as much subtle enjoyment as she.

Of course, a roaster can highlight or downplay these flavors. Or simply roast them out.

The dark Italian and French toast stem from the need to overcome poor bean quality.  The espresso method of brewing was the ultimate way to deal with the high priced, inferior beans available in the 19th century. Over roast the beans, grind fine, force hottest possible water through. It's a unique drink that overcome a host of coffee shortcomings.

Now if you add milk and or sugar, that's a whole nother level of adulteration!

However you drink it, coffee, like wine, can be savored or quaffed.
Paul
'92 Mid Bath

Reply #70
Most illuminating discussion! For the most part, I've been buying the darker French Roasts (different brands) but methinks I need to start expanding my horizons. Maybe try some local roasters that don't "burn the beans." On the other hand, we do have a new Dunkin' Donuts opening up in Tehachapi in December . . .  ::)
Greg & Victoria
Previously a 1985 TK
SKP #61264

Reply #71

"... Mayorga (Mayorgaorganics.com available at local Costco..."

"...I had to edit the post to change Ken to Kent.  Sorry Kent..."

John,

My DW is a huge Costco fan.  The only issue I have with them is that while many vendors supply some nice specialty items they often come and go and never come back.

Jen...er...Ken...um, Kent whatever.

Here in Long Beach we have Polly's Pies that has a local company roast their coffee beans. Pretty flavourful I suppose. I'm always game for a new blend.

Reply #72
It may seem hard to believe, especially for those who favor the Charbucks roast, but coffee properly grown, harvested, processed and roasted has a great deal of nuanced flavors.

Like wine, the area it is grown in and the varietal of plant begins distinguishing the end flavor, ie:  Central American coffees grown in volcanic soil at high altitude tend to be bright, with hints of citrus flavor. Ethiopian beans tend to be  earthy and have chocolate overtones.

My wife can pick these flavors out immediately. My palate has been too abused over the years to get as much subtle enjoyment as she.

Of course, a roaster can highlight or downplay these flavors. Or simply roast them out.

Interesting - we favor Central American varieties because of the chocolate and caramel notes that we pick up, and actually use a medium to barely darker roast for espresso (lattes, actually).  Big fans of Red Bird Coffee for their Daterra Sweet Blue (Brazil) and Guatemala Antigua Bella Carmona.

Reply #73
Good examples of the vast potential for varietal-farm-processing-roasting variables to influence what we are tasting. My son in law's coffee is grown at high altitude in El Salvador. In one roast we got the bright acidity I like. The next roaster learned his craft at Starbucks. It was darker, and we got a lot of earthy flavors like caramel. (It's no wonder that when we overlook food in restaurants we call it "caramelized".)

This is why coffee, the 7th largest worldwide agricultural commodity is so interesting and delisciois!
Paul
'92 Mid Bath

Reply #74
I'm trying a new blend RIGHT NOW!  It is called East African Blend - "Bright, fruity, slightly sweet - DARK ROAST - A premium blend of Arabica coffees highlighted with the unique flavors of Ethiopian beans.  The bright, floral flavors are perfectly balanced with a sweet aroma and fruity finish".

I am liking it very muchly!

Virtual hugs,

Judie

•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•