Skip to main content
Topic: 1995 lazy daze 22 info (Read 292 times) previous topic - next topic
1995 lazy daze 22 info
New to the site, going to be purchasing my first rv.  I love the lazy daze, and currently have the chance to buy a 1995 22 from the pics it looks like a mid bath.  It has the chevy 350 v8 engine. Has 78000 miles owner seems to have taken great care of it. Just needs a starter for the onan 4kw. I cant seem to find out any information on this year and model. My main concern is reliability, was this a good year? Bad year? Are all the years good haha? In california going to go on a 4 month trip to yellowstone and work my way back. Staying places couple weeks at a time.  Price is around 14k

Any info or thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Re: 1995 lazy daze 22 info
Reply #1
New to the site, going to be purchasing my first rv.  I love the lazy daze, and currently have the chance to buy a 1995 22 from the pics it looks like a mid bath.  It has the chevy 350 v8 engine. Has 78000 miles owner seems to have taken great care of it. Just needs a starter for the onan 4kw. I cant seem to find out any information on this year and model. My main concern is reliability, was this a good year? Bad year? Are all the years good haha? In california going to go on a 4 month trip to yellowstone and work my way back. Staying places couple weeks at a time.  Price is around 14k

Any info or thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
toalt (is that your name?), click on this link and you will find a wealth of information about LDs through the years. Lazy Daze Pocket Guide
Chris
Formerly: 2002 30' IB

Reply #2
...1995 22 from the pics it looks like a mid bath.
The 22' models from 1995 were Twin-King Bed, Front Lounge and Multi-Plan. Only the TKB had the bath in the middle. The other two had bathrooms in the rear.
Andrew
2008 Rear Bath
(previously 1999 TK)

Reply #3
It's most likely a Twin/King. The '95 G30 is all right, having decent engine and transmission.
The front suspension, steering and cooling system are its weak points, as well as not having a lot of power.
Definitely check all four interior corners plus the windows for evidence of water leakage. Make sure the exterior corner caps are intact, they are another common point of leakage.
Best to have a pro inspect it. It could save you a lot of money.

Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #4
Thanks for the replys, I'm going to hire a rv inspector. Larry, any suggestions on upgrading the suspension? Do they have problems overheating? Is there any upgrades I could do for that. Do the power steering pumps go out? Is that what you mean by steering

I think I can get it for around 11k , so I wouldn't mind investing in some up grades if needed.
Thanks for helping out.

Reply #5
any suggestions on upgrading the suspension? Do they have problems overheating? Is there any upgrades I could do for that. Do the power steering pumps go out? Is that what you mean by steering
The G30 chassis does not have a large radiator, so the existing one needs to be in good condition.
A lot of older G30 have had their 350 V8 engines replaced, almost always due to overheating.
After experiencing summertime overheating in our 1983 LD, I replaced the radiator with the thickest, high performance one I could find, along with a larger transmission cooler and a added radiator water sprayer. The radiator fan clutch is another weak link, I went through three of them in  60,000 miles. I carried a spare.
At 85,000 miles, I opened the engine to replace a loose timing chain. I found the water pump impeller to be severely corroded, with half of it missing.
Keep the antifreeze up to date, to reduce this problem.

Power steering pumps are dependable. I do add an oil filter to the steering box return line and change the fluid every 40-50,000 miles.The Chevy steering has a weak point, the idler arm wear at a very fast rate, leading to loose steering.

I found the stock springs and shocks to be inadequate. Due to the low GVW, the rig was always loaded to near full capacity.
Air bags were added to the rear end and I had taller front coil springs made, with a higher spring rate.
Bilstein shocks were installed front and rear. Finally a rear sway bar was added to combat the side to side rocking.

$11,000 doesn't seem too bad a price, if the overall condition is good. The 1991+ G30s are much better rigs than than the earlier models. The engine, transmission and improvements in the coach construction, make these years  preferable.

Larry

Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #6
Larry, thanks for taking the time to give me that info much appreciated.  Do you think I could pull a small trailer say 5×8 with a couple small scooters inside? I ask because you mentioned the gvrw. Thanks again.

Reply #7
Dang! Larry, now that was an answer!

Toalt (your first name?), In all that great advice Larry mentioned checking the corners. I would add emphasis. The round plastic trim on all four corners is a potential trouble spot. If there is a gap in the sealant, or the sealant has been re-done in an amateur fashion, expect leakage. And if there was leakage, suspect rot of the internal framework. Inspect accordingly. Hopefully this one is solid.
Paul
'92 Mid Bath

Reply #8
Toalt is just an acronym,  meaning trip of a lifetime. Real name is randy, thanks for the added advice Paul. Going to see her Sunday hoping she's rock solid.