Skip to main content
Topic: Tire chains on a LD (Read 530 times) previous topic - next topic
Tire chains on a LD
I was looking at the clearance between the tires and the fender skirts. Looks really tight. Can tire chains be used on the Lazy Daze? I sure don't want to damage anything.
Lynn and Lori

Re: Tire chains on a LD
Reply #1
You might consider 'cable chains' instead of 'chains'. Less clearance problems!

As for me, I stay off the road where chains are required!    O:)
Steve S.
Lazy Bones & Cedar
2004 30'IB (Island Bed)
Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery
Live for the day!

Reply #2
+1 for cables & staying away from the snow.

Picked up cables at Pep Boys. Super easy to install and a lot lighter than chains.

A real issue is the huge number of choices. This can cause trouble when choosing the right set.

Last March, prior to driving to Yosemite, I purchased a set and then re-examined the manufacturer web site and discovered I had been sold the wrong size.

Called Pep Boys and they located the correct set in Fresno. Stopped in on my way to the valley and did a quick exchange and a practice installation in the parking lot (A REAL MUST). Quick as a wink I was back on the road.

Haven't needed them yet, but they are ready when I am.

Kent
2015 27' RB "MissB.Haven"

Reply #4
In many places with roads crossing high mountain passes, you must carry chains by law.  I have been on I-80 crossing the Donner Pass when a storm came up.  Had I not had chains, I would have been turned back.  My chains are cable chains, and did not have a clearance problem, though the ride on the mostly clear road put a lot of vibration in the coach.  The trick was to find a reasonable speed with a sweet spot.  For me, that day, it was about 20 which was close to what other traffic was doing.

Ken F in CO
'08 MB

Reply #5
People who want/need to drive their rigs in snow and ice might want to look at these chains, made particularly for vehicles with limited wheel well clearances.

Titan Chain Alloy Snow Tire Chains - Diamond Pattern - Square Link - 1 Pair...

I don't carry chains, and I try very hard to be somewhere else when there's snow and/or ice on the roads, particularly when traveling in the motorhome.  However, a few winter trips in the LD over the Grapevine, Tehachapi, and down the east side of Tioga Pass when unexpected storms hit have demonstrated that one's avoidance plans do not always work out. No chains, but a good deal of luck.  :o

I'm definitely in the camp that believes that waiting until the roads are clear is a much better choice!
2003 TK has a new home

Reply #6
Here is a YouTube video of a guy driving his 26 ft. Lazy Daze in the snow headed to Yosemite. It's quite long (8 mins.), and no sound but gives you an idea of what it is like. Probably not very exciting for you Northerners, though!

Driving Lazy Daze in Snow
Greg & Victoria
2017 Mid-Bath  “Nocona” towing a manual 2015 Forester
Previously a 1985 TK
SKP #61264

Reply #7
Yep!

This is precisely why I took 140 into the valley last March. I saw this video and cringed. 140 was gorgeous and hardly a turn the whole way.

While taking on water at the dump outside Upper Pines, one rental class C still had his chains on (no snow on the valley floor). He had come up 41 through Coarsgold and had a 2 hour delay and was told to put on chains or turn around.

140 has become my preferred route into Yosemite dispite the extra miles it adds.

Here are some shots of the worst of my drive in on 140.

Kent

Reply #8
Super Z6 snow cables with fit the tight clearances of the wheel wells.
I can post the model number, when we get home in a few days.

On some LDs, the hinged wheel covers may contact the cable or chains.
In this situation, the covers can be tied up, using bungee. To Install, run the inside rear up on leveling ramps, to lift outer tire off the ground. This allows for a much easier installation.

Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #10
I love this thread!  I was just talking to my husband a few days ago about buying chains for our LD.  (His suggestion was to not buy them so that we wouldn't have to use them 😳).  While I hope to not have to use them, the fact that we live in an area surrounded by mountains, makes me want to be prepared just in case.  (Although it is an RV  - maybe I just stay where I'm at and wait for the snow to disappear 😉).

Thanks for all of the links and info. 
Rebecca in WA
2016 mid-bath
"Ramirez"

Reply #11
Rebecca,

At less than $250 for two sets and under 30 pounds or so, the Super Z cables tuck away quietly in my top right forward bay.

Nice and quiet, they wait for their day to come. Frankly, I hope that it never does.

Once in a while, I tell them "you are all doing very well".

Kent

Reply #12
Super Z6 snow cables with fit the tight clearances of the wheel wells.
I can post the model number, when we get home in a few days.
Z6 cables for 225/75-16 tires.
Snow Chains for Tires, Best Tire Chains, Truck Tire Chains
Amazon.com: Security Chain Company SZ429 Super Z6 Cable Chain for Passenger...

We have been lucky and never have been required to use them.
Knowing they are there allows winter travel with one less worry.

A trial fitting of the cables, at home,  is suggested. Use leveling blocks to lift the inside dual wheel.

Larry
As an Amazon Associate Lazy Daze Owners' Group earns from qualifying purchases.
Larry

Reply #13
Hi All,

When I bought my 26.5 MB (used) in 2009 I also bought a set of cable tire chains from tirechain.com (cost about $75, I think).  I practiced on putting them on in my yard. I have not had to use them in these 7 years. Today, because of this thread, I tried to put them on again to refresh my memory. It is doable without lifting the rear wheel, but the weather was warm and dry. I think that if I had to do it in the snow I would use leveling blocks on the inner dually to make it easier to install them.

I bought these chains because we travel south from WA to AZ in the winter and Oregon requires vehicles over 10,000 GVWR to carry chains. This includes I-5 and I understand that there is a fine if caught and you did not have the right size of chains. So I bought them as insurance since one fine would be more than the cost of the chains.

Last year we left for AZ in mid December. The Siskiyou pass between Oregon and California was clear so we continued on. If it was not clear we would have stayed in Ashland or Medford. Just south of Weed it started to snow on I-5. We continued for about 30 miles and then started to drop in elevation going towards Redding and the snow changed to rain. Drove slow and did not stop. The LD handled fine and we used the gears and not the brakes for slowing down. We were also towing our Subaru (which we also have chains for). That was the only time we hit snow in our travels.

Just wanted to let members know that Oregon requires vehicles to carry chains when the sign is posted.

Kevin

Kevin
Kevin Hannah
Green Valley, AZ
Owner of 2000 26.5 RK, came back to the family
Previously 2014 Newmar Baystar
Previously 2001 LD 26.5 MB

Reply #14
When we were coming down from the Pacific Northwest back to Arizona in the winter of 2006, this rule was in effect.  We stopped at Les Schwab to get chains, and they were happy to sell them to us.  The good part was . . . they told us that if we got to the other side of the Siskiyous and had not used them, we could return them to any of their stores for a full refund.

As it turned out, we had intended to return to Washington in a few months, so we kept them.  But the option was there.

Virtual hugs,

Judie

•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•

let members know that Oregon requires vehicles to carry chains when the sign is posted.

Kevin

Reply #15
I-70 in CO, depending on conditions, will institute a chain law in order to travel on 70.

The state DOT has a very current website that tells about such things. In the past, we have researched the weather forecast for the Vail Pass area where they get lots of snow ,and checked with the DOT, then  simply adjusted our travel plans to avoid the nasty road conditions that would require chains. Who needs stuff like that? Truck drivers , perhaps, but not us retired types.

Ed

Reply #16
Totally procrastinated in buying chains.   Well the kids and I decided that we are leaving on Tuesday for a trip to Ohio.  So I just ordered from Amazon, and I guess I will be practicing putting the chains on on Monday.   I'm hoping that will be the only time I'm putting them on (fingers crossed). 

-Rebecca
2016 MB
Rebecca in WA
2016 mid-bath
"Ramirez"

Reply #17
Rebecca,

Your 2016 MB and our 2015 RB came equipped with the same tires. As such, I snapped a shot of the "cables" I purchased from Pep Boys last March.
(Z Super Easy-On ZT729)

I purchased two sets (two chains per set) in the off chance the going gets really rough and I need a set up front as well as the outside rears.

Just as a reference, here's a couple of shots of the box.

Kent

Reply #18
I purchased two sets (two chains per set) in the off chance the going gets really rough and I need a set up front as well as the outside rears.

Kent, I'm curious as to why one would install a set of chains on the front tires of an LD. Isn't it rear-wheel drive? My understanding is that chains should only be installed on drive wheels. ??? 
Greg & Victoria
2017 Mid-Bath  “Nocona” towing a manual 2015 Forester
Previously a 1985 TK
SKP #61264

Reply #19
Thank you Kent.   I couldn't get those on short notice.  😳  I had to order the sz429 cables.   I even called around to the stores that were listed as carrying the Peerless brand and noone carried them.    I might just carry the 429's around just in case (return if I don't use them) and order the 729's for permanent use.   I do want chains with me though, just in case.....there is already snow in the pass by us.  😜

I'm not typically a procrastinator, but sometimes things get pushed lower in the list. 
Rebecca in WA
2016 mid-bath
"Ramirez"

Reply #20
Kent, I'm curious as to why one would install a set of chains on the front tires of an LD. Isn't it rear-wheel drive? My understanding is that chains should only be installed on drive wheels. ??? 

ha ha  I find this funny, since I just automatically ordered two sets of chains.  My only experience with chains has been using them on my 4wd SUV.  So I just thought you always put them on four tires.  Others may have conflicting opinions, but I just looked this up.  So, yes, you should put chains on the drive tires, but also, you could put chains on the other tires to help with traction when stopping.  So I guess I will keep my two sets, and then IF I should ever need chains (which I imagine would be driving in the mountains in the snow) I will put all four on.  Hopefully that will prevent me from sliding off the side of the mountain.  :D   
Rebecca in WA
2016 mid-bath
"Ramirez"

Reply #21
Hilola, Rebbeca,

In all honesty, I have never driven anything (RV or otherwise) in the snow. There are others here on LDO that surely have do so and their advice in chain position is no doubt more reliable than mine. With that I might add that, many would suggest pulling over or avoid the snow altogether. I'm in total agreement with that mind set.

From what I have gleaned from LDO, internet sources, chain manufactures, YouTube and coworkers with experience on the topic, chains should be placed on the outside rear set of tires of a truck or RV. However in heavy snow and icy conditions it is advisable to also install a set of chains/cables on the front tires as well. It is my understanding that this is done to aid in controlling possible front tire slippage.

Better advice in such conditions is to pull off the road and make yourself a cup off coffee until the storm clears.

Kent

Reply #22
I have no problem driving in the snow, I grew up in NE Ohio on the lake.   The first time I EVER drove it was hailing (drivers ed instructor took us on the freeway).  That being said, I also know how dangerous it can be (black ice etc).  I don't plan on driving in the snow if possible, but since I do live in the foothills of the mountains in northern WA, I like to be prepared. 
Rebecca in WA
2016 mid-bath
"Ramirez"

Reply #23
If things get icy enough, cables on the front wheels would be very appreciated.
In those conditions, we are pulling over and having a cup  with Kent.

If you travel in the winter, even here in the SW, snow happens.
We were snowed on two years ago, outside of Tucson.
Cables are something you hope to never use but if you do need them, you will be glad you spent the $90.
In my limited experience driving the LD in snow, it's been surprising how well it does, even when pulling the Jeep.

With modern weather forecasting, snowy conditions should be mostly avoidable.

Larry

Larry