Skip to main content
Topic: Garmin Dezlcam 660 LMT (Read 96 times) previous topic - next topic
Garmin Dezlcam 660 LMT
I don't use anything more than phone gps in travels. With a recent sales award, one of the choices is this "truckers gps" with built in dash cam. I like the idea of a dash cam and the $0 price is good.

Has anyone ever used a Garmin Dezl of any vintage? It has trucker info and is not RV specific but the steep grade and low clearance POI's are attractive and Garmin's are super easy to import POI files from sites like POI Factory so getting campsites and whatnot loaded is a snap.

Opinions are welcome.

Thanks, Dave
Ruby, the red 2004 26' RK hauling Dave and Kristine hither and yon

Re: Garmin Dezlcam 660 LMT
Reply #1
I don't use anything more than phone gps in travels. With a recent sales award, one of the choices is this "truckers gps" with built in dash cam. I like the idea of a dash cam and the $0 price is good.

Has anyone ever used a Garmin Dezl of any vintage? It has trucker info and is not RV specific but the steep grade and low clearance POI's are attractive and Garmin's are super easy to import POI files from sites like POI Factory so getting campsites and whatnot loaded is a snap.

Opinions are welcome.

Thanks, Dave

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QWJY6lpkoB4
- My name is Nik, I'm a future Lazy Daze owner! :)

Re: Garmin Dezlcam 660 LMT
Reply #2

We use a Dezl 760 for our coach.  It's not quite as good/programmable as the old Streetpilot 2720 but better than other Garmins for being able to put in length, width, height, weight.  We've had a couple of small issues with it routing us around something thinking it was a divided highway when it wasn't, or that the road was closed when it wasn't.  You can choose car, truck, RV, or several other options.  The ONLY difference between the Dezl models and the RV models are the POI databases.  Dezl has more ATA truck related POIs and RV has more campgrounds, etc.  That's it, according Garmin when I asked them.  And no, they won't let you buy the RV database to put in your Dezl (but you can add your own POIs if you want.

We have the lifetime maps and traffic option.  Traffic is pretty good at letting you know when there will be a delay on your route, although we also use the Waze app on our phones for more real-time information.

If you get one, be sure to get an SD card for it.  The recent map updates from Garmin require the additional storage or they often only load a subset map (we got one download that was all vectored point to point as a result, not the actual layout of the roads).

I'm not sure about the 660 models but the 760s do not have pinch-zoom screens; you have to use the +/- images on the screen.

Garmin recently (I think it was recent) released an app called Garmin Smartphone Link that will bluetooth to your phone for weather, etc.  I believe you have to pay for those services, though.

As for the dash cam, no experience with the in-GPS version but Garmin's standalone gets moderate reviews.  A couple of things I wouldn't like about a combo unit are

1)  trying to locate the GPS device so driver, passenger can both see it yet dash cam can still capture good field video

2)  video interruptions if passenger uses GPS in hand to check conditions, update destination, etc.

We use a separate dash cam in our coach.  After reading a bunch of info on iRV2 and Dashcamtalk, we chose the StreetGuardian SG9665GC .  We bought ours through Amazon but they are currently showing none it currently unavailable Amazon.com: Street Guardian SG9665GC v2 2016 edition Supercapacitor Sony... so here is the parent company's direct US sales link PIER28 | Home  It is a rather expensive unit, but we are very pleased with it.  [ETA - well, darn.  Looks like it's out of stock at the manufacturer, too]

DashCamTalk
As an Amazon Associate Lazy Daze Owners' Group earns from qualifying purchases.