Skip to main content
Topic: Replacing front cab seats? (Read 258 times) previous topic - next topic
Replacing front cab seats?
Anyone replace the front cab seats?  Hate these things and now the upholstery is splitting.   Have 2006 30'.  I would upholster the seats but it is still going to be uncomfortable driving.  Reaching gas pedal causes leg to cramp.  I am not short (5'5") .  Anyone with same issue?   Enjoy reading all the posts. 
2006 31' IB Anniversary Edition; Tow 97' Wrangler

Re: Replacing front cab seats?
Reply #1
Anyone replace the front cab seats?  Hate these things and now the upholstery is splitting.  Have 2006 30'.  I would upholster the seats but it is still going to be uncomfortable driving.  Reaching gas pedal causes leg to cramp.  I am not short (5'5") .  Anyone with same issue?  Enjoy reading all the posts. 
bb, (what's your name?), go to Community>Search> and enter "replacing cab seats". You should find some posts that will help. Also, check out this Lazy Daze Companion article: The Lazy Daze Companion: Cab Seats
Chris
Formerly: 2002 30' IB

Reply #2
Anyone replace the front cab seats?  Hate these things and now the upholstery is splitting.  Have 2006 30'.  I would upholster the seats but it is still going to be uncomfortable driving.  Reaching gas pedal causes leg to cramp.  I am not short (5'5") .  Anyone with same issue?  Enjoy reading all the posts. 
The Seat frame, with pre-shaped foam padding,  are provide by Ford, when a cutaway chassis is delivered.
The seat, with the foam's shape and firmness engineered, are part of the crash protection system, designed by Ford, to prevent passengers from sliding under the dash, during a frontal impact. This is known as a 'anti submarining".

The RV manufacturer has a seat shop cover the seats with the desired material or buys a preassembled kit.
Severely modifying the seat may eliminate some of its safety features.

Many have issues with the seats.  Those with short legs cannot touch the floor. The high front lip, on the seat, cuts blood flow off and can cause leg cramps and numbing.
The cures are many. I built an insert, for our LD's passenger-side seat floor,  It raised the floor 2", allowing  my wife's leg  to rest easily on the floor where previously, she could not touch it while seated. I also added an removable foam insert, to fill the center of the seat, helping eliminate leg numbing. Both of these can be removed in a few moment to accommodate taller passengers, nothing is permanent.
Other take the seats apart and modify (shorten) the front edge but this ususally requires the services of a good auto  upholstery  shop.
A well fitting seat is a necessity for safe, long-distance driving...do what you have to make it comfortable.

While most work is done to the passenger seat, the driver's seat can have the same treatment. I combat discomfort by frequently using the power seat adjustments to change the seating position and sometime placing a foam pad in the middle of the seat, to prevent leg numbing.

Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #3
Thanks for the posts for my question.  I will look into adding wedges to driver's seat for me. 
2006 31' IB Anniversary Edition; Tow 97' Wrangler