Skip to main content
Topic: Actual living space in 31' TB (Read 501 times) previous topic - next topic
Actual living space in 31' TB
I am still on the hunt for my next LD. I am looking at both the 27' and 31' models. Can anyone who owns these models tell me home much actual living space there is in each one? I assume the 31' is from bumper to bumper, so how much of that is the actual space minus the truck part? Also, what is actual square footage of living space( length x width) ? I haven't seen a rig in person yet so can't measure it myself.

Thanks so much for any input.

Cheers,
Tom V

Re: Actual living space in 31' TB
Reply #2
I measured mine, but then re-read your original post carefully. My measurements are probably useless to you, but may help some one else, or just be an addition to all the data stored here at LazyDazeOwners.com for posterity:
1992 26-½ MB (narrower, shorter than MB models on the E450 chassis)

Dinette area wall to cabinet face 67W x 83L
Passageway in front of bath 24W x 36L
Rear lounge wall to wall 90W x 72L
Paul
'92 Mid Bath

Reply #3
I don't think you can tell much by mere measurements. Until you get into a coach, sit down, and "feel" the space, you won't be able to tell if it's "livable" for you. And, that "feel" is very different from floor plan to floor plan. The openness of a 27rear bath is much different from the more closed-in sectionness of the mid bath. Of course that is mitigated by the MB's wrap around rear windows and, well, you get the picture. Cold numbers will never tell you what will work for you. Find a regional caravan get-together and sample the wares!  Good hunting. - Jon ('06 TK "Albatross")
(Former) ‘06 TK “Albatross.” And (former) Vespa 250.   Alas, no more; both are gone.😕 Great memories remain! 😄

Reply #4
"Until you get into a coach, sit down, and "feel" the space, you won't be able to tell if it's "livable" for you. And, that "feel" is very different from floor plan to floor plan."
----
Jon's comments are right on point!  :D  Numbers/measurements mean little, and what is "livable space" in one person's opinion may be either inadequate or overly ample for another! And, what is meant by "livable space"? Moving around space? Sitting space? Sleeping space? Storage space? "Layout flow"? I also have a TK ; if I went strictly by the actual interior measurements from behind the cab to the back end to determine livability, I'd be living in a space about 1/2 the size of my home bedroom! 

It can be very difficult to determine which size or floor plan will work best for one's needs without seeing/sitting/walking/using the toilet, shower, galley area, getting into or on to the sleeping areas (I do suggest that the last-mentioned activities be limited to "pretend" to avoid annoying one's LD "host"), and just getting the "feel of the space" (as Jon said.) A one-dimensional, flat representation can offer an idea of what might work for someone, but many people have made what they thought was a definite model/floor plan decision, only to change their minds when they actually went through the motions of "pretend living" in different LD models.

I realize that it's not possible for every prospective buyer to get to a large LD gathering like the LD Owners (formerly "Yahoo), in March at Morro Bay SP or one of the southern California Caravan Club meets, but attending a regional get-together (again, as Jon suggested) may work, and, as we know, most ( ;) ) LDers are friendly and welcoming and like to show off their rigs.

2003 TK has a new home

Reply #5
Tom V--

Where are you?   If you are anywhere near/coming through north MIssouri, you are welcome to see my 30' TB.  I certainly  like the wraparound windows in the back, and the angled backside is just right to see stars from my bed if trees/clouds aren't in the way.  Because I'm a solo, the TB configuration allows me to easily have guests along (it worked well with my elderly aunt & cousin as couple of years ago.  The shower door can  latch in the open position, creating two separate sleeping areas.  I like the barrel chairs, but some folks have preferred a dinette, which I believe can be converted to another sleeping space.

But the most important thing is to assess how you want to travel, along with Joan's caveat "YMMV"

Good luck on your search--

Lynne
Lynne
LDy Lulubelle, Green '05 31' TB
Lilly, the 4-Legged Alarm

Reply #6
I am still on the hunt for my next LD. I am looking at both the 27' and 31' models. Can anyone who owns these models tell me home much actual living space there is in each one?

Tom, one thing is very different between the two models - the 31' has a bedroom, which I personally would not consider 'living space', and also does not have the alternative sleeping area of the over-cab bunk, which most 27' models have. As a result, particularly if you use the bunk for sleeping, as we do, the 27' models all have considerably more 'living space' for your daily activities.

Steve
2004 FL
2013 Honda Fit

Reply #7
We find our 2011 31 TB far more comfortable, spacious and all-around better than our 2004 26MB. Personal choice, I guess.

Reply #8
Many thanks to all for the replies. I am having fun on my quest for my next LD!

Reply #9
Thanks for the offer to see your rig Lynne. I'm in Arizona and think I have found a 31' model to look at in Phoenix, not to buy as It is older than I want, but just to get a sense of interior space. Thanks again.

Reply #10
I also live in the Phoenix area and want a 31' TB LD RV. What did you like and not like when you saw it?

Reply #11
Lynne

"...some folks have preferred a dinette, which I believe can be converted to another sleeping space."

Regarding the 30'IB and the optional dinette... This option was not designed to be a 'sleeping space'. Even if you were to construct a platform to span the area between the seats you'd find that it would not accommodate an adult, too short... a couple of small children maybe but even that would be awkward because the table has no provision to be held in an upright position regardless that it's hinged at the wall end. I modified mine and it is now permanently fixed in place.
Steve S.
Lazy Bones & Cedar
2004 30'IB (Island Bed)
Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery
Live for the day!

Reply #12
Hi, Steve--

Thx for that clarification--what I get for "assuming" any RV dinette is convertible to sleeping space.   :-[

Lynne

Lynne

Reply #13
Hi, Steve--

Thx for that clarification--what I get for "assuming" any RV dinette is convertible to sleeping space.  :-[

Lynne
I have the pullout dinette and in '02 it was not constructed to be converted to a bed. I made my own platform on fold up legs which goes between the bench seats and allows the cushions to be placed thereon for a bed. I also made a small extension which can be added to the platform which expands it to the full width of the pullout function which is to accommodate 4 people for dining. The table top, which uses a piano hinge, flips up and is secured to the valance with a sturdy clamp. The table top support leg is unscrewed and folded down and bungeed to the  table top. When fully expanded, it snugs up against the couch when it is fully expanded into bed mode. This makes a huge sleeping area which was used early on by my children and their younger children. As a bed alone, the converted dinette is good for one younger person or two when expanded. I have not used this setup often, but it has come in handy when needed.
Chris
Formerly: 2002 30' IB

Reply #14
Point of curiosity Chris...

I have the 30'IB with the optional expandable dinette also. When new the table did have a piano hinge which allowed the table to fold upward. However, mine did not have any provision to secure the table in that upright position! The support leg was even hinged to fold downward which would have allowed it to lay parallel to the underside of the uplifted table.

Unfortunately over time the screws that held the table to the wall worked their way loose. I tightened them several times but they would not hold. Finally I used a length of aluminum right angle stock and permanently fastened the table to the wall. It has been in that configuration now for several years.  ;)
Steve S.
Lazy Bones & Cedar
2004 30'IB (Island Bed)
Live for the day!

Reply #15
Point of curiosity Chris...

I have the 30'IB with the optional expandable dinette also. When new the table did have a piano hinge which allowed the table to fold upward. However, mine did not have any provision to secure the table in that upright position! The support leg was even hinged to fold downward which would have allowed it to lay parallel to the underside of the uplifted table.

Unfortunately over time the screws that held the table to the wall worked their way loose. I tightened them several times but they would not hold. Finally I used a length of aluminum right angle stock and permanently fastened the table to the wall. It has been in that configuration now for several years.  ;)
Steve, when the table is flipped up it rests against the valance, maybe overlapping 4-5" (can't remember for sure). I simply use a 4" spring clamp on one side of the table to hold it firm to the valance and fold the leg down as you describe.
Chris
Formerly: 2002 30' IB

Reply #16
Chris

Not ever envisioning a need to have that table elevated I did not question the lack of 'whatever' would be needed to hold it up.  So, before my modification and since it has always been in the down position. I have retained the feature that allows one to expand the table, add the leaf and use it in that manner. One other modification that I've done is to add a rotating window cam lock to keep the two table sections from separating during travel. That came about when the two bench seats and the outward side of the table would 'walk' into the aisle due to vibration. I found a fix for that as well.   ;)
Steve S.
Lazy Bones & Cedar
2004 30'IB (Island Bed)
Live for the day!

Reply #17
Chris

See previous post...

The dinette modifications fall into the same category as the useless folding shelf behind the toilet. Have you ever had a need for that thing?    ::)
Steve S.
Lazy Bones & Cedar
2004 30'IB (Island Bed)
Live for the day!

Reply #19
Re: flip-up bathroom shelf:  The older I get the less hair I have so the less product space I need  :)  (whacked & donated the 33" School Marm Knot before I turned 60--though the long hair had lived long past my "Don't trust anybody over 30" days, I finally let it go...now if I could get rid of other stuff as easily  :-[ ).

Lynne
Lynne