Skip to main content
Topic: Wandering Eyes (iMac Computer) (Read 300 times) previous topic - next topic
Wandering Eyes (iMac Computer)
It's a test of wills between my good side and my evil side.  First, it's nicer than the one we have now but we really can't afford it.  And actually, it doesn't do that much more than our current one.  But still, it's beautiful, quiet, and bigger.  Drum roll please ...

Apple 27" iMac with Retina 5K Display with an I7 Skylark processor.  And oh ... that 27" piece of real estate.

Well maybe after the 3-4 special items our LD needs no thanks to the LDO forum!  And so it goes.

Re: Wandering Eyes
Reply #1
I feel your pain .....

too much time and not enough $$$$$
personal fine art photo stuff
TF Mack | Flickr
It's all good .......
2014 Twin King

Reply #2
A couple years before I retired I switched from a PC to a 21.5" iMac mostly to support my photography habit. It was a struggle making the switch from one operating system to the other, but then it all clicked.  Integration with other devices is very easy.  I have found it to be more stable using Nikon software, Capture NX2 (OS-X with current updates) as compared with using the same software on a PC with current updates in 2012.    Sadly after the purchase of the computer, the software developer for Capture and Nikon went separate ways.  The product is no longer supported but remains stable for now.  I run the ColorMunki software calibrate and balance the monitor color.

The MidBath's galley makes a great area to work on photos.  I use a light C-clamp to secure the base to the table when in camp because the RV rocks a little.  Also we have dogs that might get a little excited from time to time.  When driving I lay it on the bed up against a wall so it will not fly forward, padded with pillows and bungee to keep safe screen scratches and bouncing out of place.   

Though the computer works fine, it some doesn't like some updates now that it is four years old.  I am not completely computer literate so the issues could be me.  When I have an issue I make a call to apple support and all is well again.  Overall a much better experience than with the Dell and a much more stable platform even at this age. 

I just wish I could use a 12v jack on it.  Onedayinthefarfechedfuter...I will get an inverter.  I am not sure what the power draw is but it is not much as compared to the older desktops with CRT displays.  I gave a half hearted look for the power requirements while typing this post and could not find them. 
Currently: 2008 36' Tiffin Open Road
Previously: 2007 Mid Bath

Reply #3

For what it's worth...

I used iMacs for ten years as a full-timer, starting with a 20" model and working my way up to a 27-incher over the years. I love a big screen, especially for photo processing and for watching movies, but also for the luxury of having plenty of space to open multiple windows.

But any 27" display uses a fair amount of power, and the iMacs (even though recent models are much more power-efficient) are no exception. I found myself worrying about my battery state more than I'd like to. And the iMac was the main reason for my expensive solar power upgrades (600 W of panels and 500 Ah of batteries).

I have friends who are professional wildlife photographers, and they use a different setup: a MacBook Pro plus an Apple Thunderbolt display. The benefit is flexibility and greatly reduced power use. Ordinary work such as reading web pages and answering emails can be done on the laptop's screen, which uses relatively little power. For more demanding work such as photo processing, the 27" display is always available.

This past spring I decided to follow suit. I bought a 13.3" MacBook Pro (1 GB RAM/16 GB SSD) and a 27" Apple Thunderbolt display. The MacBook is extremely slim, light and compact. I feared that I'd find the 13.3" screen too cramped, but I quickly adapted to it, and now use it about 90% of the time. And it sips power rather than gulping it.

When I want more screen space, I drop the MacBook into a Bookarc cradle that sits next to the big screen, and plug in MagSafe and Thunderbolt cables. (And turn on my inverter, since the Thunderbolt display requires 120 VAC.) The screen comes to life, and the system is even smart enough to remember that I use a different desktop layout on the big screen than on the small one. I use my Apple USB keyboard and Microsoft mouse. (I don't care for any of Apple's mice.)

Going by the specs, the MacBook is slightly slower than my top-of-the-line iMac was, but in practice the only time I notice the difference is a slight jerkiness when resizing windows in Photoshop on the big screen. On the small laptop screen I can't tell any difference in speed. (And yes, the MacBook Pro's Retina display is fine for Photoshop work, unlike any laptop I've owned in the past.) The Thunderbolt display is not a Retina (5K) display, but I can't tell the difference at my normal 18"-20" working distance.

I'm very pleased with the new setup. It gives me all the advantages of a 27" screen when I want it, but with the small power consumption of a laptop when I don't need the big screen. And of course I can move the laptop around, whereas the iMacs were always strapped to my desk with 3M hold-downs.

Just something to think about...

As an Amazon Associate Lazy Daze Owners' Group earns from qualifying purchases.
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"

Reply #4
It's a test of wills between my good side and my evil side.  First, it's nicer than the one we have now but we really can't afford it.  And actually, it doesn't do that much more than our current one. 
I thought you were talking about a 2017 Lazy Daze.  :D
Andrew
2008 Rear Bath
(previously 1999 TK)

Reply #5
When I want more screen space, I drop the MacBook into a Bookarc cradle that sits next to the big screen, and plug in MagSafe and Thunderbolt cables.

Hi Andy,

I'm surprised you give up the 2nd screen by having your MBP closed.  I too love the laptop + Apple display combo, but REALLY like the extended desktop using both displays (when needed).

Anyways, just thought I'd mention that alternative.  And while there is no "dock" per se, there are only to connections to make (power and display).

When we head out in a month, we're going to try it with just our laptops and iDevices.  I'd like the big display, but in our case, we don't have a dedicated desk like you have.

Hope all is well.

S-
As an Amazon Associate Lazy Daze Owners' Group earns from qualifying purchases.
Steven & Carol Crisp -- 2000 26.5' Blue Mid-Bath named Thistle Dew Too
Our RV Motto:  "No place to be ... and all day to get there"
2024 Adventure: The Great Eclipse Escapade!  HI(Air),NV,AZ,NM,Mason,TX(Totality!) ...

Reply #6
"I'm surprised you give up the 2nd screen by having your MBP closed.  I too love the laptop + Apple display combo, but REALLY like the extended desktop using both displays (when needed)."

Good point. It is a bit surprising, considering that I used dual-screen Mac setups from 1986 onward until I went full-time in 2005. As a software developer, I needed all the screen real estate I could get in order to open multiple windows and multiple apps. But my work is simpler now, and with the 27" Apple display, I just don't feel the need for multiple displays.
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"

Reply #7
I downsized and use my iPhone 99% of the time now.

Reply #8
Andy, I agree.  I used 2 displays all the time for work, but when I moved to a 27" display I didn't have the need for it and the 2nd screen required a head turn that could be felt in the neck (gonna cause problems after a while).  This was despite the two screens being right next to each other.

For something you want to rarely look at (e.g. play videos for background) it might be useful, but for me I am happy using just the 27" imac screen.
Jane & Scott
Currently have a 1989 TK  LD we did a lot of upgrades on.
Bigfoot 25RQ Twin on order with early summer 2024 ETA

Our smartphone autocorrects into very poor English.
 We disclaim the illusion of ignorance this creates as we have enough ignorance we rightly claim.