Skip to main content
Topic: Heading to Niagara Falls - Has anyone taken their cats into Canada recently?? (Read 174 times) previous topic - next topic
Heading to Niagara Falls - Has anyone taken their cats into Canada recently??
We are leaving tomorrow in our 26 Ft IB for a trip which will include some time in Canada. On line research indicates that only a valid rabies certificate is needed for the cats that travel with us.  Has anyone taken their cats into Canada recently and can verify that this is accurate? We are staying at the KOA Niagara Falls in Canada which has good reviews and provides van shuttles (with bike rack) to the area attractions.  Would appreciate any feedback on the cats question and any recommendations on the Niagara Falls trip.. THANKS in advance.
Shift Colors - Underway
1999 26.5 IB

Re: Heading to Niagara Falls - Has anyone taken their cats into Canada recently??
Reply #1
you might call the Canadian embassy, 202-682-1740.  I am sure they get the question all the time.  Then it is not a "I heard on the web" thing.   I did try a search on the Canadian Embassy's web site with no joy.
 Another concern is bringing the cat back into the USA the rules are less strict: From the Customs and Border Patrol website, Pets - Cats,
At a minimum I would make sure the shots are all up to date and ask your vet for a copy documenting shots and dates.  At the start of each season I put a new file in our LD for each of our two pups and the common four legged visitors (we sometimes take other dogs when we pet sit - don't worry the owners know).

Note I edited the comment to say the bit about CBP website.
Currently: 2008 36' Tiffin Open Road
Previously: 2007 Mid Bath

Re: Heading to Niagara Falls - Has anyone taken their cats into Canada recently??
Reply #2
Jhagan58 you should also verify what is needed to return to the USA with your pet. As I recall from years ago, that was the key thing, clearing the US side on the way home.
Paul
'92 Mid Bath

Reply #3

The information at these links (check again before your trip to make sure the information is still current and applicable) should be helpful:

Bringing Your Pet to Canada - Travel.gc.ca

Importing or Travelling with Pets - Animals - Canadian Food Inspection Agency

Canada Travel - Can I Bring My Pet?

Thousands of people go back and forth every day, the majority without incident.  But, how diligent and thorough the customs check is when crossing the border in a vehicle between the U.S. and Canada depends on when and where one crosses, how busy it is, any current "flap" involving animals (or other issues), and who's on duty, i.e., whether you draw a  pleasant, "chill" inspector or an officious, "on the prod" officer that particular day. A hassle-free crossing may also depend on your (and your rig's) appearance and attitude; know the current rules, have the proper documentation (you and pets) ready, answer questions honestly, don't draw unnecessary attention to yourself and/or your rig, don't chat/"volunteer" information, and don't make jokes.

AFAIK (and any current changes should be noted in the links above), all the documentation one needs to bring a pet (over 3 months old) into Canada is a current/valid rabies vaccination certificate from one's vet. However, the information on that form/certificate needs to be complete, i.e., containing a complete description of the animal (age, sex, breed, markings), the date of the animal's vaccination (within one year of crossing, AFAIK), and  the brand,  lot number, and expiration date of the rabies vaccine. (All the spaces to provide this information are on the rabies vaccination form from your vet, but you should check to make sure that all the required information is filled out accurately.)

You may not even be asked for your pets' rabies documentation; in several crossings into Canada (and back into the U.S.) in past years, I was asked only twice; on other occasions (despite the dog sitting in the passenger seat giving the border person the stink eye!), the customs checker was far more interested in finding out why I was going into Canada, if I was carrying firearms, and if I had prohibited or excessive fruits/vegetables/meat/alcohol. (Avoiding any temptation to be a smart--- if one draws a particularly "zealous" checker is always a wise move!)

Read the links, have all the correct paperwork on hand, and enjoy the trip!  :)

2003 TK has a new home

Reply #4
On line research indicates that only a valid rabies certificate is needed for the cats that travel with us.  Has anyone taken their cats into Canada recently and can verify that this is accurate?

Not cats, but dogs.  The requirements are the same.

Here is the official Canadian website for entering Canada with cats:

Importing or Travelling with Domestic Cats - Three months of age or older...

As you can see, the only requirement is that they have a valid rabies CERTIFICATE (just a collar tag will not suffice).  The above website outlines exactly what must be on the certificate.

(Oops...JCT was quicker on the keyboard than I was!)
Linda Hylton

Reply #5
But, how diligent and thorough the customs check is when crossing the border in a vehicle between the U.S. and Canada depends on when and where one crosses, how busy it is, any current "flap" involving animals (or other issues), and who's on duty, i.e., whether you draw a  pleasant, "chill" inspector or an officious, "on the prod" officer that particular day.

Although we've always had the proper information for our dog when crossing into Canada, we've never been asked to produce it, nor have we ever been questioned in any way, shape, or form about our dog.  That includes the time the inspectors tore our slide-in truck camper apart because they were positive we were carrying guns (we weren't, but had Arizona plates at the time).
Linda Hylton

Reply #6
"That includes the time the inspectors tore our slide-in truck camper apart because they were positive we were carrying guns."
----
 ::)  I was detained (at the Abbotsford crossing) once because my answer to the "Why are you traveling in Canada?" question was honest: "I'm doing a couple of seminars at an RV gathering at Okanagan College."  Whoa; pull the rig into the wait area, get out, go into the office with all my documentation, and wait, wondering what is going on while two officials whispered to each other and watched me suspiciously. (Apparently, I'm a pretty sketchy-looking character! Note that also sitting in the wait area next to me was a very relaxed, friendly and smiling, obviously stoned young man who was getting no attention from the officers!) The "issue" turned out to be that when I said that I was doing a couple of seminars , they assumed that I was "working for remuneration" in Canada; I had to explain to explain (and provide phone numbers of the seminar coordinator for corroboration) to three "levels" of customs people that giving the seminars was a voluntary contribution on my part; I was not working in Canada. (When I finally left, "happy boy" was asleep in his chair.)

Sometimes one is the pigeon, sometimes the statue!  ;)
2003 TK has a new home

Reply #7
Thanks to everyone for the quick and very helpful replies. I discovered that YES currently all you need is a valid Rabies certificate  , which I had gotten just yesterday BUT when I made some phone calls,  I learned that the rabies certificate MUST include the vaccine serum data including serial number...mine did not and I am on the way to the vet to get it corrected.    FYI here is the contact data for the Canadian Border Authorities ..I called the  number and got a very professional and helpful response.. Again THANKS To all .very much appreciated.

General Enquiries

Email:

Contact@cbsa.gc.ca

HTTP:

Travellers

Travellers

Telephone:

Border Information Service

204-983-3500 (Winnipeg)
24/7 Telemessage
8 a.m. - 6 p.m. Central time
8 a.m. - 6 p.m. Officers available

Border Information Service

506-636-5064 (Saint John)
24/7 Telemessage
8 a.m. - 5 p.m. Atlantic time
8 a.m. - 5 p.m. Officers available
Shift Colors - Underway
1999 26.5 IB

Reply #8

I discovered that YES currently all you need is a valid Rabies certificate  , which I had gotten just yesterday BUT when I made some phone calls,  I learned that the rabies certificate MUST include the vaccine serum data including serial number...mine did not and I am on the way to the vet to get it corrected."
----
Yes.  Some vets will often leave out this information, even though it's clearly requested on the form. This is the reason the information re: your needing to check the form to make sure that the vet had written the vaccine brand, lot number, and expiration date on the form was stated in my original answering post.  ;)   

Have a good trip.
2003 TK has a new home

Reply #9
One other thing about taking pets into Canada and back into the US, if the rabies shot is a booster then it is good immediately.  But if this is a puppy or kitten then you must wait 30 days after the vaccination before crossing the border either way. And because I just had to research this, you can take a puppy under 12 weeks unvaccinated into Canada but you cannot do the reverse.  Since puppies need to be 12 weeks to be vaccinated for rabies and then you must wait 30 days you cannot bring a puppy into the US under 16 weeks of age from Canada.
2004 MB

Reply #10
We are staying at Niagara falls now. We cleared into Canada 2 days ago at Sault Ste Marie with no questions regarding pets. As we travel with our dog, rabies certificate is on hand. We opted to stay at Niagara Jellystone Park. The park is similar to a KOA and practically empty after the Labor Day holiday rush.
2000 MB

Reply #11
...the date of the animal's vaccination (within one year of crossing, AFAIK),

The rabies vaccination does not have to be done within one year of the crossing.  The requirement at the above-referenced websites says:

"•specify the duration of immunity (otherwise, it will be considered valid for one year from the date of vaccination)."

As long as the duration of the immunity is stated on the rabies certificate, that is sufficient.  If the certificate *doesn't* include the duration of immunity, then the one-year from date of vaccination kicks in.
Linda Hylton

Reply #12
Thanks for the clarification, Linda!
2003 TK has a new home