Skip to main content
Topic: Comments on "critical systems" (Read 119 times) previous topic - next topic
Comments on "critical systems"
"The only critical systems are the tires, steering and brakes."
---
I certainly agree that tires, steering, and brakes are "critical systems", but, IMO, limiting the definition of "critical" to only these three is misleading, particularly to a new and/or inexperienced RVer. There are hundreds of "systems" and components in and on an RV whose functionality, integrity, and potential for expensive failure are "critical". This checklist to use as a guide for buying a used RV offers a look at quite a few of them, and depending on the specific type and brand and features of a particular RV, there may be even more "critical" issues to be aware of.

RV Inspection Checklist

I don't suggest that every system or component on an RV falls into the "critical" category; some "systems failures", e.g., a wonky TV, may be just annoying or inconvenient. But, many "systems failures", from leaks to appliances, e.g., the refrigerator, ceasing to function to holding tank problems to any number of engine and suspension issues can not only be very expensive to repair, but  can put one beside the road, waiting for a service or a tow; to me, a "no go" situation from a blown/leaking/missing/dragging whatever is definitely critical.

None of this is intended to scare newbies away from RVing in general or getting a LD in particular; this travel style can be a very rewarding and freeing way to "goseedo", but the enjoyment that one gets from it is increased if one has at least a rudimentary understanding of the coach, engine, and all systems components and the necessity of frequently servicing and maintaining all the "critical systems". 

As has been said several times in the past, the initial purchase price of an RV is just the beginning; even if the rig is thoroughly inspected for problems and is in good condition before purchase (and much more so if it has "hidden warts" that are not discovered before buying), subsequent expenditures on maintenance, repair, and replacement of "critical systems" (lots and lots of subsequent expenditures!) are inevitable if one wants to keep going down the road.

As ever, YMMV.
2003 TK has a new home

Re: Comments on "critical systems"
Reply #1
Joan is right of course, perhaps I was too liberal in the use of the term "critical". To be more clear, I meant "dangerous to a degree that may be life threatening". I am sorry to have been so vague. Having thought more about it, anything to do with propane would also fit under that heading. This system is also easily checked, maintained and repaired.

Beyond safety the items Joan writes about could be financially impactful to a degree, depending on how you're fixed and how good you are with your hands and learning new skills. So again, she is right.

RVing is in itself a journey.
Paul
'92 Mid Bath