Skip to main content
Topic: Anyone flat towing a late model Soobie? (Read 111 times) previous topic - next topic
Anyone flat towing a late model Soobie?
Our 2007 manny tranny Forester served us well as a toad. Stupid easy to tow ..... Hook up car, turn key to acc, hook up Brake Buddy, place the tranny in neutral and release emergency brake - and awaaaaaay we go (tip of the cap to Jackie Gleason).

Love me some Subaru. Sooooo, bought a 2016 Crosstrek manny tranny this weekend. There is some back and forth on various sites about Subaru saying don't do it but that seems to be the lawyers trying to give them an out on warranty work. Kill all the lawyers!!! (Opps, except me, LOL!)

Query: the manual says "...turn the vehicle ignition to the On setting..." and not the acc (first setting from off). These manuals aren't too specific to the vehicle you have and are instead rather generic to all trim levels of a car. Thus, I think they put that in the manual referring to higher trim levels with push button start buttons and flat towing (slowly over short distances) an automatic CVT transmission.

Anyone here towing a late model (2016 preferred) Soobie? Any comment? Blue Ox sells a baseplate for the model so that is why I jumped.

Thanks, Dave
Ruby, the red 2004 26' RK hauling Dave and Kristine hither and yon

Re: Anyone flat towing a late model Soobie?
Reply #1
For what it's worth, I've towed a 2014 Forester 2.5i Premium (manual transmission) for the past couple of years. I use Blue Ox tow gear and SMI's Stay-IN-Play braking system. For my car, I need to turn the ignition key to the position that unlocks the steering wheel. That's the important thing. If the wheel is locked, your car's front tires will scrub on turns and you'll be buying new tires soon. Aside from that, I put it in neutral and release the handbrake. That's all.
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"

Re: Anyone flat towing a late model Soobie?
Reply #2
I picked up a 2016 Forester last fall because I could tow it.  I made sure to talk to the sales guy about this before hand in addition to checking out the owners manual.  I don't think the transmission changed in 2016 for the Crosstrek as compared to 2015.  The owners manual flat out tells you not to flat tow the CVT (automatic) trans equipped cars.  The Impreza (2014) and Forester (2016), we have both cars, the manuals tells you to put trans in neutral and turn the key as you described so as to free the steering wheel.  You need to tow the car all four wheels down - no tow dolly.  Just like driving, all four wheels must have the same size tire and correct air pressure so each of the wheels rotate on their axles at similar rate.  Failure to do those things will ruin the viscous coupling system that makes the transfer case work.
As a aside I know of people driving STI and WRX rubies have burnt up the transfer case auto crossing (a timed, driving skill event where people go through a winding course between a half mile and a mile long) over the season of use.  The transfer case on our cars are some what delicate.  I would think strenuous off roading in sand or other challenging places could do the same thing.  The cars are for rough roads and light duty off roading. 
Currently: 2008 36' Tiffin Open Road
Previously: 2007 Mid Bath