Skip to main content
Topic: How old is too old when shopping for a LD (Read 437 times) previous topic - next topic
How old is too old when shopping for a LD
I'm guessing you must reach a point where it becomes difficult to find people to work on the engine, etc.  How old is too old?

Thanks...

Mimi
Save a life.
Adopting a pet is the closest a human
will ever come to choosing a relative.

hsus.org  aspca.org
1992 Lazy Daze T/K  23.5' Ford 460 c.i.d./7.6 liter V8 engine, electronic fuel injection, E4OD 4-speed auto transmission
Full time 6/2017

Re: How old is too old when shopping for a LD
Reply #1
Mimi:  I don't worry about finding someone to work on the chassis components, including the engine and tranny.  I have a Ford truck service place not too far away, and I expect they will be able to take care of these items as long as I have the RV.  I'm sure they can take care of RVs much older than ours as well.  I have not heard on this forum or others that anyone has had any trouble with this issue, unless they are far from a service center.
2011 MB

Reply #2
Older models that still have a carburetor will befuddle most auto 'techs' these days. This is particularly true of the Chevy G30 models which have the 4bbl Rochesters. For fuel mileage and driving at altitude reasons, go at least a new enough model to have electronic fuel injection. Then, if you want to reduce the chance of overcab water leaks, go new enough to get a model with fake cabover front window - not the real one. Then, when you find something, leave plenty in your budget to take care of any issues, and have coachwork and all systems checked by an experience RVer and mechanic.

Steve
2004 FL
2013 Honda Fit

Reply #3
rm2011ldmb  Well that's a relief. Outside of its charming vintage design and solid construction, I like the fact that it's built on a well known chassis. I just didn't want to be stuck somewhere with a mechanic who couldn't locate a part, or didn't understand the engine because ot was too old.

Thanks.
Save a life.

hsus.org  aspca.org
1992 Lazy Daze T/K  23.5' Ford 460 c.i.d./7.6 liter V8 engine, electronic fuel injection, E4OD 4-speed auto transmission
Full time 6/2017

Reply #4
Steve  Good points. Thanks.  Do you know how new I have to go to get a fuel injected engine?  I did read a few posts about water leaks around the front overcab window. I didn't know LD made them with a fake window. That's great!  Do you know what year they started doing that?

Thank you.

Mimi

Save a life.

hsus.org  aspca.org
Full time 6/2017

Reply #5
I agree with Steve. Carburetor maintenance is a lost art, like stone masonry. I find where there are people driving old Ford trucks for work, like ranches, oil fields, logging operations, construction sites, there are mechanics who are very astute at wrenching on these old rigs.

The coach components are straightforward and simple, but prone to bad things happening when maintenance of seals and seams is neglected. And that starts after 5 years. Especially if stored outside in the sun.

In answer to your question, the The Lazy Daze Companion is a great place to learn more than I could ever tell you. And of course, there are great discussions I've seen recently here on age of LDs in particular. The search function on this new format of the forum is great.
Paul
'92 Mid Bath

Reply #6
Steve  Good points. Thanks.  Do you know how new I have to go to get a fuel injected engine?  I did read a few posts about water leaks around the front overcab window. I didn't know LD made them with a fake window. That's great!  Do you know what year they started doing that?

Thank you.

Mimi
Mimi, check out this list compiled by Andy Baird of changes in LDs over the years: Changes by year
Chris
Formerly: 2002 30' IB

Reply #7
I purchased my first LD when I was 60.  I don't think I was to old to shop.  Maybe I made the cut off because I started looking a few years earlier.
Currently: 2008 36' Tiffin Open Road
Previously: 2007 Mid Bath

Reply #8
The coach components are straightforward and simple, but prone to bad things happening when maintenance of seals and seams is neglected. And that starts after 5 years. Especially if stored outside in the sun.

That's what I'm a bit worried about.  I'm used to taking my car in for service.  Can I do that with an older LD?  I can do very minor repairs, but that's all.

In answer to your question, the The Lazy Daze Companion is a great place to learn more than I could ever tell you. And of course, there are great discussions I've seen recently here on age of LDs in particular. The search function on this new format of the forum is great.

That's a great publication!  I've never seen it.  I've started searching the threads and yes, very in depth discussions about older LD.  Thank you!

Save a life.

hsus.org  aspca.org
Full time 6/2017

Reply #9
Mimi, check out this list compiled by Andy Baird of changes in LDs over the years: Changes by year
Chris

Thanks Chris.  I saw that in the previous forum format, but lost it.  I'll study that.  It's the best compilation of LD data I've seen anywhere.  Thank you!
Save a life.

hsus.org  aspca.org
Full time 6/2017

Reply #10
I purchased my first LD when I was 60.  I don't think I was to old to shop.  Maybe I made the cut off because I started looking a few years earlier.

How many LD's have you owned and what happened to the first one?  I've never owned an RV, but I hope to change that as soon as I learn a bit more about LD and what it requires for maintenance.
Save a life.

hsus.org  aspca.org
Full time 6/2017

Reply #11
Our first RV was a Lazy Daze.  It is the only RV we have ever owned.  I remember going through the process of looking and questioning. 

Once I made the decision to buy used, that kind of killed the dealer warranty part of things.  So on one level if the house part of an RV needs repair it does not mater much if it is a LD or some other manufacturer.  I would still need to find some one to work on it.  I noticed when looking at different RV on lots that RV places work on different kinds not a single brand.

After getting the Lazy Daze I find a few shops that would only work on RV they sold, but that was true even for the brand that they sold.  In each case those places sold a lot of RVs, new and used, and give customers preference to shop time.  I don't know if that is true every where, I live in VA near Washington DC.  Lots of RV and not many dealerships.

Researching I knew I wanted a one peace roof, no front window, a modern engine, modern transmission.  Then I started asking about brands.  That lead me to Lazy Daze and this forum led me to a date range after 2000 something (see Andy's list of changes).  I knew we wanted a E-450 for the CCC as compared.  Then I drove a few hundred miles to a North East LD meet (I had the only back packing tent in the RV park) to look at the different floor plans and changes over the years.  At the time we thought we wanted a 22.5 RK.  After seeing them in real life I was sure I wanted a MidBath or RearBath.  There was even one very nice woman willing to meet with my wife back home.  My wife trusts me in things about cars and camping, but because this, like a house, is more a "our thing" and not a "my thing"; I wanted my wife to talk to another owner, preferably a woman, so she could ask question I would not think of.   It was that interview that made the process so much easier.  She mentioned that floor plans didn't mean that much for a first time RVer.  Because it was all new to us, we would grow into what ever we purchased.  Or all floor plans, short or long, are going to be better than a Toyota van and backpacking tent.

In the end we settled for a well cared for a five year old Mid Bath.  My O7 would be is almost 10.  As they get older there is more up keep.  You need to find a RV that was well loved, but sold while the owners were young enough or well off enough to keep up with the house needs (taping seams, replacing worn items and such).  RV's don't like to sit still.

Currently: 2008 36' Tiffin Open Road
Previously: 2007 Mid Bath

Reply #12
That's what I'm a bit worried about.  I'm used to taking my car in for service.  Can I do that with an older LD?  I can do very minor repairs, but that's all.

Opuntia, your concern is understandable.

I find a few small shops with grizzled old RV techs who seem competent to work on them.  I talk with the head repair guy casually, to learn if
A) They are interested and open to learning about my rig's particularities, like that the AC unit removal is a bit unique,
B) To see if they have worked on a few LDs before, by listening as they tell me about the materials it is made of, how it comes apart, etc.,
C) If they are proud of their work, or are disgruntled,
D) If their shop is somewhat clean and organized. 

There are good references here too for shops.  And there is alway the Mothership. Not convenient, but really really good.
Paul
'92 Mid Bath

Reply #13
Our first RV was a Lazy Daze.  It is the only RV we have ever owned.  I remember going through the process of looking and questioning. 

In the end we settled for a well cared for a five year old Mid Bath.  My O7 would be is almost 10.  As they get older there is more up keep.  You need to find a RV that was well loved, but sold while the owners were young enough or well off enough to keep up with the house needs (taping seams, replacing worn items and such).  RV's don't like to sit still.

Thank you for all that wonderful information John.  It's so helpful reading your process that got you to the point of purchase.  It's a little scary buying a used LD because I really don't know where it's been or what it's been through.  I know I'm going to put money it but yes, it's important to me that I can find someone who will work on it.  I'm in CA now, but what if I'm in CO or UT?  How do you know the history of any of the LD's out there.  A little scary.

Thank you again for this great information.  It's so nice to read about how you found your LD.

Mimi
Save a life.

hsus.org  aspca.org
Full time 6/2017

Reply #14
Opuntia, your concern is understandable.

I find a few small shops with grizzled old RV techs who seem competent to work on them.  I talk with the head repair guy casually, to learn if
A) They are interested and open to learning about my rig's particularities, like that the AC unit removal is a bit unique,
B) To see if they have worked on a few LDs before, by listening as they tell me about the materials it is made of, how it comes apart, etc.,
C) If they are proud of their work, or are disgruntled,
D) If their shop is somewhat clean and organized. 

There are good references here too for shops.  And there is alway the Mothership. Not convenient, but really really good.
Thank you Paul.  I am a little scared about the process of finding the right LD. It's difficult because I know very little about RV's in general, so I feel a little like a sitting duck.  I'm in SoCal now, but I won't always be here, so I'd like to know I can find someone to make repairs wherever I am. I'm even a little concerned about breaking down and knowing that the local, disgruntled, messy shop is still capable of getting me on the road again.

I spoke to a man who was hitching a trailer to his RV.  He's the one who sold me on the V10.  He had 450,000 miles on his old Ford V10 truck and so bought an old RV with a V10 that had 175,000 miles on it.  He said anyone can work on a V10, so I knew that was a good engine.  It's just the rest of what could go wrong I worry about while I'm on the road.  I thought the older the RV, the more difficult it is to work on.  Maybe that's wrong, but it just seemed too old wouldn't be a good idea, in general.

Mimi
Save a life.

hsus.org  aspca.org
Full time 6/2017

Reply #15
Mimi, I can understand your concerns.  If you can make a connection to a Lazy Daze Get Together you could have some good interaction with owners. Everyone I have met with an LD made us feel welcome and were willing to spend a lot of time showing us their rigs, explaining things, and answering questions.  Within reason, people will help you qualify a Lazy Daze you are looking to buy.

Within reason whatever you buy can be resold when you want to trade up. I have bought a lot of cars, and each one was its own story, some good and some bad. None were perfect, and all required money and work to keep running. The same goes for the homes I've lived in. There will be repairs, and you may have breakdowns. Be sure you aren't over extended and have a rainy day fund. RVing will cost money after you buy one. Keeping the cost down is the trick.

The only critical systems are the tires, steering and brakes. All are easy to learn about and check. Keep learning about RVs and you won't be a sitting duck.
Paul
'92 Mid Bath

Reply #16
Paul, I would love to see some rigs at a Get Together!  I've read so many posts about how folks have modified their rigs, decorated their rigs, the supplies they keep and so much more.  There truly is a lot to learn and if folks don't mind the intrusion, I'd love to see how they set up their rigs.  I look forward to acquiring enough knowledge to help myself and other newbies.  Being in the position of knowing nothing is motivation for me to pay it forward once I know what I'm doing.

I've spent a lifetime maintaining things, like you and the rest of us.  I'm so looking forward to downsizing and maintaining something I love...my LD!  It's going to be a feeling of freedom, not having to maintain a sticks and bricks for a while.  Once I find a rig I'm interested in buying, I may pop in to see what you all think of it or if you've ever seen it before.

I haven't read anything about this yet but, are there classes people can take to learn about their LD's?

Mimi
Save a life.

hsus.org  aspca.org
Full time 6/2017

Reply #17
Mimi, you and I are so much on the same page, same fears, etc.  I keep following behind you since I have the same questions.  Thanks for asking them.  And thanks to everyone with all the great answers!  I'm in the bay area, hopefully we get to meet at a get together soon. :)

Shawna
The hills, they are a callin'
LD30TB owner wanna be :D
Shawna
'96 RB w '06 CR-V :D

To invent your own life's meaning isn't easy, but it' still allowed, and I think you'll be happier for the trouble. 
- Bill Watterson

Reply #18
Mimi I am not aware of classes in the formal sense, but at Get Togethers there is usually a Tech Talk with Q&A. But really, I can't imagine a better text than this forum. BTW (by the way), if you search here you will find some summaries of the GTGs (get Togethers), and plans for upcoming GTGs. The one near the Bay Area is coming in the Spring. SoCal has another group that is very large, and I don't know anything about their events. Someone here will chime in I hope.
Paul
'92 Mid Bath

Reply #19
The Lazy Daze Caravan Club has monthly meets (except July and August, and November/December are combined) in several southern California locations; attendance at these varies, but there are  usually plenty of different models and years of LDs to look at. If you are in the general area of one of the meets, show up, introduce yourself, and ask to see a few rigs. (Understand that some people will not be amenable to showing their rigs.) All the information on the CC is here:

HomepageLD

There are also regional LD groups; some are very active and meet more or less regularly. A few of the groups' contact listings can be found on the Caravan Club website.

The LD Owners' Group (formerly known as the "Yahoo Group") has a meet in early March at Morro Bay State Park (California); Larry and Renée Wade honcho this very well-attended get-together. (Larry posted the 2017 dates, but I didn't write them down; I am pretty sure that somebody did, and will post them!)

LD owners are usually pretty accommodating about showing their rigs and answering questions, and most "lookers" are well-mannered and considerate.  ;)

There are no "classes" to learn about LDs; one learns mostly by asking questions, researching posts, going to any "tech talks" offered at any of the gatherings, and checking out as many models and years of LDs as possible (and soliciting input on specifics from their owners). Every new LD comes with a packet containing a comprehensive operator's manual and the literature/manuals on all the appliances and add-ons on the rig at the time of purchase; buyers of used rigs should be sure to ask the selling owner for this material!

2003 TK has a new home

Reply #20
March 10-12, 2017 at Morro Bay State Park, I seem to recall.
Paul
'92 Mid Bath

Reply #21
Morro Bay GTG March 9 to 12 see ya there!! :)
Daughter of the first Lazy Bones
Hitting the road on my own and with a friend 🚐 while reporting back to the Lazy Bones at home 🛋

2 Lazy Bones - Home

Reply #22
According to the caravan website, there is one in Ventura Fairgrounds Sep 14-18, Mimi, right there near you.  :D  Sure wish I wasn't working that weekend. :/
Shawna
'96 RB w '06 CR-V :D

To invent your own life's meaning isn't easy, but it' still allowed, and I think you'll be happier for the trouble. 
- Bill Watterson