Skip to main content
Topic: Battery filling system warning (Read 372 times) previous topic - next topic
Battery filling system warning
just a heads-up for other newbies like me...  We bought our LD last summer with a filler system hooked up on house batteries. I've tried to pump water in several times over the past few months but it acted as though it didn't need more water. Didn't make sense after all this time even though solar keeps the charge topped off very well. Just got back from trip in hot weather & I noticed that voltage was not as high as should be. We pulled battery tray out - no small feat! - only to find all cells were very low. Don't know why filler system didn't work. It didn't seem that tubing was pinched. Time to buy a new one, I guess. Hopefully we caught it in time to limit battery damage.
2007 MB

Re: Battery filling system warning
Reply #1
I now have AGM's but before, I would take the pro-fill system off periodically, clean it all up, pump water through it and reinstall.
It's a mechanical system using floats and  check valves. Like all mechanical systems, eventually it will fail.
Ed

Reply #2
...I've tried to pump water in several times over the past few months but it acted as though it didn't need more water. Didn't make sense after all this time...  We pulled battery tray out - no small feat!...

Hi,  -

Stay curious and inquisitive about everything in your LD.  That battery compartment is just so very important but many tend to just hope everything is OK in there.  Spend some time nosing about in the battery compartment.  Clean everything up and keep it that way so it won't be a grimy task to work in the compartment when necessary.  Your reluctant tray slide is evidence of binding grime, damage or some other problem.  It should slide out and in with very little effort and the locking bars should drop and lock with gravity on a tray that is clean and working properly.  What I've discovered is you must keep your senses in play with your rig and whenever something doesn't seem right, stop and figure out what is causing you pause.  A well-regulated charging system shouldn't boil your batteries to where you see evidence of electrolyte outside the batteries.  You didn't mention the age of your rig but if it is 7 or more years of age, you might want to think about just replacing the batteries for your peace of mind, not to mention that you get to start from time zero on new batteries with no performance worries going forward.

Here's a tip I picked up somewhere in our early days.  Take 2 or 3 paper towels and soak them in a super-saturated solution of baking soda and water.  When the towels are well impregnated with baking soda, take them out and dry them.  When dry, roll them and place them on top of the batteries in your rig.  A little "weaving" will hold them in place.  The baking soda impregnated in the paper towels will serve to neutralize expelled gassing from the batteries and help save your battery box area from the ravages of sulfuric acid gas that will occur, especially when you equalize the batteries.

All the best,
Dan and Lynn
2007 IB-30
2007 IB-30

Reply #3
just a heads-up for other newbies like me...  We bought our LD last summer with a filler system hooked up on house batteries. I've tried to pump water in several times over the past few months but it acted as though it didn't need more water. Didn't make sense after all this time even though solar keeps the charge topped off very well. Just got back from trip in hot weather & I noticed that voltage was not as high as should be. We pulled battery tray out - no small feat! - only to find all cells were very low. Don't know why filler system didn't work. It didn't seem that tubing was pinched. Time to buy a new one, I guess. Hopefully we caught it in time to limit battery damage.

We had the same issue with our 2006 Pro Fill. Turns out that the o-ring on the male side attached to the batts was dry and even though I thought it was always making a good connection it wasn't. If that happens it doesn't open the port and allow water in. Called Pro-Fill to inquire about the correct size replacement and they mailed a couple of new ones for free.

Jim

Reply #4
I have found that it pays to manually depress both sides of the quick-disconnect valves before connecting to make certain they are free. If one is sticky, it can probably be freed with a little water.

Steve
2004 FL
2013 Honda Fit

Reply #5
I just checked the battery cells on the '97 24' I recently bought and all cells were low exposing the plates.  I suspect these will need to be replaced shortly and saw Ed's comment about switching to AGM batteries.  What is a good manufacturer of 6V deep cycle AGM batteries?

Reply #6
Lifeline is one manufacturer of AGMs.

However, you don't say if your 1997 has a solar system, and, if so, if the charge controller and the converter are original. Just replacing the batteries (probably Trojan T105s?) with AGMs may not (and, from my experience, will not) work out well. AGMs are very sensitive to overcharging, and require compatible components to function efficiently. 

You may want to read the information at this link before you make any decisions:

RV Solar Education

I also suggest familiarizing yourself with the characteristics and requirements of AGM (and other) batteries; this link provides excellent information:

Car and Deep Cycle Battery FAQ 2017, Battery Manufacturers and Brand Names...

Trojan T105s (or T125s, if the head space is sufficient?) are very good batteries and are considerably cheaper than AGMs. The batteries can be watered with a Pro-fill; be sure to get the right configuration for the battery hole pattern.

Again, always and forever, YMMV.

Joan
2003 TK has a new home

Reply #7
Thank you Joan.  Unfortunately I don't have solar. 

Reply #8
I just checked the battery cells on the '97 24' I recently bought and all cells were low exposing the plates.  I suspect these will need to be replaced shortly and saw Ed's comment about switching to AGM batteries.  What is a good manufacturer of 6V deep cycle AGM batteries?
An AGM's only advantage, for most of us, is not having to add water.
This benefit will onlyl cost twice as much as a conventional battery.
For our usage, a AGM battery's main advantage is that it does not outgas hydrogen and can be installed inside the coach, not needing an air-tight, exterior compartment. This is good for those wanting to add two or more extra batteries.

AGMs are much more sensitive to overcharging. Overcharging a battery will boil off the electrolyte, not a huge issue with a conventional lead-acid battery, just add more water. Overcharge an AGM and it becomes trash, the electrolyte can not be replaced.
I know too many members here who have had their AGMs destroyed by a converter or a solar charging system that charges at the wrong rate.  It can become a very expensive experience, especially for those who have added extra batteries.

Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #9

What battery filling system were you using and what seems to be the problem?

Jim

Reply #10
It is a visual fill.  Since I bought it in the last 2 months I suspect checking the level has been neglected for a long time.  Plus the date stickers are not pealed so I don't know how old they are.  The person selling it for his elderly father was not very helpful in terms of vehicle history.

I've topped off the water and I will see how they hold up under load and replace if necessary...and add a filling system.

Reply #11
Our Profil sometimes will not pass water. Don't know the issue, but I find if I remove it and put it back on, maybe twice, it works. If your's does not allow even one squeeze after 7-10 days, suspect the Profil.
Don & Dorothy
Sold our LD in June of 2023

Our boring always non-PC travel blog
Traveling Dorothy

Reply #12
Our Profil sometimes will not pass water. Don't know the issue, but I find if I remove it and put it back on, maybe twice, it works. If your's does not allow even one squeeze after 7-10 days, suspect the Profil.

Ours was doing that as well. I thought it might be the fact that the oring was old. I contacted Profill to ask about that and they sent a couple of new orings. No problems since.

Jim

Reply #13
My Pro-Fill (and a few of others' systems, too, as I recall) had a defective check valve; in addition to a failed O-ring, a bad check valve will cause "water block".

Pro-Fill battery watering system | Flow-Rite

Joan
2003 TK has a new home

Reply #14
Two possible causes. The mostly likely is the two check valves, inside the rubber bulb, have rusted to their metal seats.
Yes, I know they should be made of  a better quality stainless steel. Bang the bulb a bit, to see if the valves will free up.
Second possibility, as mentioned, is the rubber deteriorates and leaks air.

Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #15
I should have added that the check valves had failed on ours and Pro-Fill sent new valves.

Jim