Skip to main content
Topic: Owners MPG data as of August 2016 (Read 296 times) previous topic - next topic
Owners MPG data as of August 2016
If I searched properly, it has been a while since we have had a thread on MPG experience.  Since we now have corn syrup in our gas, may be worth the effort to post current owners experience.  Please post your model, model year, type of driving (mountains, flat, or mixed) and your MPG. 
Chesapeake, VA

Re: Owners MPG data as of August 2016
Reply #1
Perhaps it's not discussed since MPG has not changed since V10? Class C's get about 9.5. This drops to 8.5 when towing.

Don & Dorothy
Sold our LD in June of 2023

Our boring always non-PC travel blog
Traveling Dorothy

Reply #2
'92 MB, 460 V8- 8MPG, uphill, downhill, in the wind, loaded, unloaded.

Just kidding. It actually varies from 7.2 to 8.8, but averages 8.0 This sample is across more than 30 tanks of gas, regular, in the winter, so assuming winter blends. Additives don't seem to matter. Almost never go above 65MPH, but do a lot of non-highway driving, since no toad.

Now, with gas at $3.50 per gallon, if I assume the cost differential of a newer LD to be $30K, and the mileage of a V10 to be 10MPG, all I need to drive to make the mileage pay the difference, about 350,000 miles. No, probably can't use this to justify a new one with my better half.

Now if I get extreme, and trade for a nice little B van based on the ProMaster, it only takes about 150,000 miles. But then we have to convert from lightweight RVing to Super-Ultra Lightweight (yes, that is actually a thing for backpackers-SUL) RVing. Not acceptable for long duration trips.

So we grin and bear it, because our travel style currently calls for long distances. Taking advantage of lower gas prices for now. 
Paul
'92 Mid Bath

Reply #3
As of today we have traveled 23,217.3 miles.   We have brought 2,347.48 gallons of fuel.  Average price per gallon $2.96 Highest $4.15 Lowest $1.64 (I get the cheapest gas 'casue gas is gas no matter were you get it).  Average MPG is 9.89.

We RV year round.  Live on the west coast so always driving up or down mountains (real ones).   From main freeways to dirt old my gwad dirt washboard roads deep in National Forests and BLM land.

personal fine art photo stuff
TF Mack | Flickr
It's all good .......
2014 Twin King

Reply #4
Our LD (once again) is '15 27' RB. With a bit more than 4,000 miles on her we averaged, tops, 9.5 mpg with a low of 8.5 mpg.

On the last oil change, I went "full synthetic". From the California coast to Zion National Park, we got a 10.2 mpg. The return home took us back to a respectable 9.7 mpg.

I'm hoping that as the engine breaks in our mileage will increase a bit.

There's always hope.

Kent 
2015 27' RB "MissB.Haven"

Reply #5
My 96 23.5 front lounge has the 460 V-8, and 120,000 miles on it.
I've owned it for almost 9 years now, bought it 86,000 miles on it.
I have averaged 8 mpg like stated above, pretty much no matter what I do.
I don't tow, but carry a small motorcycle on the back. 

I hope when Lazy Daze decides on a new chassis they consider something with a diesel option and even better 4wd.
My vote is to use the F series pickup chassis, F450, F550.
Jota
96 23.5 FL

Reply #6
I get the cheapest gas 'casue gas is gas no matter were you get it.

That is absolutely not true.  "Top tier" designates those specific brands of gasoline rated by quality auto manufacturers to have sufficient detergents in all gasoline grades to keep your engine clean. Cheapo brands do not.  Google "top tier gasoline".

Reply #7
"I hope when Lazy Daze decides on a new chassis they consider something with a diesel option and even better 4wd.
My vote is to use the F series pickup chassis, F450, F550."

Two years ago when we purchased our Born Free on the F-550 4wd Diesel chassis with a diesel generator, it raised the cost of the unit by $39,000 over the same unit on the E-450 chassis.  That change would price a lot of people out of the market.  We were willing to pay the difference and are really happy with the unit.  I really would not want to put up with the E-450 again.

Monti

Reply #8
I sure love me my oil burners, and the 6.8 PSD seems is a very good engine, finally. But I can't see the economic/weight equation working.

But I do like to indulge in vehicular fantasy too. I wonder how a Cummins would work, I guess that would require a Ram chassis. Nope, can't see it. Maybe something like a Mitsubishi Fuso

One thing seems certain, RV weights keep going up, and until weights are reduced mileage will suffer.

Using an F series cab though will add a few feet of length.
Paul
'92 Mid Bath

Reply #9
Well, if you want fantasy, then mine is a Bucher Duro turned into an expedition vehicle by Unicat.

It's just me and with this thing I could go places most RV's just dream of.

UNICAT® › Expedition Vehicles › Individual › BS 6-KD

Jota
96 23.5 FL

Reply #10
This is an RV.
The Swiss couple shipped it from Rotterdam to Halifax and had been touring the States for quite some time.
Mileage? If you have to ask, you can't afford it.
Ed

Reply #11
Met a couple in France this year, driving one of those Man rigs. They were stocking at the start of their trip- Germany to North Africa to Mongolia. Buying lots of beer to stay hydrated. We didn't ask about mileage, but it only registers kilometers and liters, so the MPG is either zero or infinite, right?
Paul
'92 Mid Bath

Reply #12
Met a couple in France this year, driving one of those Man rigs. They were stocking at the start of their trip- Germany to North Africa to Mongolia. Buying lots of beer to stay hydrated. We didn't ask about mileage, but it only registers kilometers and liters, so the MPG is either zero or infinite, right?
This couple was heading to South America then shipping it home from there.
Ed

Reply #13
The nice thing about the one I posted is that it fits in a standard shipping container making it much cheaper
to transport from continent to continent. It is on the small size but for me it's sized just right. A 6 cylinder diesel and a 4 speed automatic should yield decent mileage.

Unicat makes some real behemoths, costing upwards of a million dollars and more.
Jota
96 23.5 FL

Reply #14
Jota, that is a nice practicality. The Unimog has always been cool.  You may have saved me millions, I was thinking I would need a C130 for those pesky cross oceanic voyages. 
Paul
'92 Mid Bath

Reply #15
A more economical off-road RV choice.
We've seen there around and the owners have all been please.
Ed

Tiger Adventure Vehicles

Reply #16
Well, that Tiger did have a nice-sized window in the galley, but the UNICAT gives me claustrophobia just looking at the pix--love LDy Lulubelle's big windows.   ;D

Lynne
Lynne
LDy Lulubelle, Green '05 31' TB
Lilly, the 4-Legged Alarm