Skip to main content
Topic: House Battery for LD (Read 258 times) previous topic - next topic - Topic derived from TANK CAPACITIES FOR 1...
House Battery for LD
This question is for Larry Wade if he is around or Someone who Lives in the San Fernando Valley. ( California) I need to buy Two House Batteries and would like to know a good place to purchase them and have them put in. I looked on a couple RV websites for Trojan T105 but didn't see any kind of batteries at all on their site. If Your around Larry or anyone who lives in the Valley can help I'd appreciate it. Thanks in advance,

Jo
2006 27' RB
"Joah's Ark" :)

Re: House Battery for LD
Reply #1
Jo, just go to Trojans web site and click on "where to buy," enter your zip code, and dealers will pop up. There are a couple in the Valley, including North Hills.  -- Jon
(Former) ‘06 TK “Albatross.” And (former) Vespa 250.   Alas, no more; both are gone.😕 Great memories remain! 😄

Reply #2
Thanks Jon for your info! I will look for their Website..  I was just writing this when your post came up.. It's amazing the difference in price of Batteries and how much to put in. First Camping World doesn't have Trojan Batteries. They have Exide for $135 each and $16each to put in. Then I called Neil's RV and they have Interstate for $129.99 each and $135 to put in < lol wow. That is the only two places I know of and they don't have Trojan Batteries ..

Reply #3
Perfect Jon, I got the Info and called them up. They are very close to my house :) Quick question to Everyone. The Place where they have the Trojan Batteries normal doesn't install the Batteries in an RV but they said they will install them for me. No charge. My question is this.. Is there something special or different in putting in house Batteries and hooking up vs Car/Truck batteries. I say this because it has one of those Battery Watering Systems and I have a Solar Panel. I don't know much about all this as the RV is new for me. Just learning the ins & outs. Any info will be great..

Reply #4
Perfect Jon, I got the Info and called them up. They are very close to my house :) Quick question to Everyone. The Place where they have the Trojan Batteries normal doesn't install the Batteries in an RV but they said they will install them for me. No charge. My question is this.. Is there something special or different in putting in house Batteries and hooking up vs Car/Truck batteries. I say this because it has one of those Battery Watering Systems and I have a Solar Panel. I don't know much about all this as the RV is new for me. Just learning the ins & outs. Any info will be great..
Jo, when I had to replace mine aacouple of years ago "on the fly" as we were headed to a Caravan outing, I stopped at a dealer in Oxnard. They would sell me the batteries, but not install them due to unstated liability issues. I surmise that a battery dealer doesn't claim any expertise in things RV, and they don't want to risk shorting out any of the systems. There are numerous connections in that small tray area, especially if you have solar or monitors, etc., so I can understand their reluctance. Replacing in a car is much more straightforward. All I got was the loan of a battery carrier strap and I ended up doing the replacement in their parking lot. Those batteries are heavy and awkward, and it was under a blazing sun. I took cell phone pics of the old installation before I touched anything, and all went well. Good luck!  -- Jon
(Former) ‘06 TK “Albatross.” And (former) Vespa 250.   Alas, no more; both are gone.😕 Great memories remain! 😄

Reply #5
I went to a local Trojan dealer in the Washington DC area.  They installed them for free.  It is not difficult but twice the work of a car battery.  There are two 6 volt batteries after all.  If you have the factory battery kill switch may a little more that twice the work as compared to a car.  But it is still very easy.  You have to be sure to hook them up just as they come out (in series).  If they offered to do it for you they likely know how.  If they refuse, or even a little reluctant you don't want them to do it.

Edit after seeing earlier post
Technically easy but heavy muscle work.  Take a lot of cell phone pics.  Work gets harder the more things added on to the system.
John
Currently: 2008 36' Tiffin Open Road
Previously: 2007 Mid Bath

Reply #6
Thanks John for the feed back. I will take a few pictures of the battiers as they are hooked up and go over there and show it to them. They are not far from me at all. If they can do it I'll being the RV. If not I'll buy the batteries from them and call Camping World & see if they will put them in for me. Thanks for the advice about the pictures and kill switch John !

Reply #7

Jo

No local recommendations for installing but I do recommend the Trojan T-105s over the other brands, based on years of experience.
Trojan batteries are the standard in the commercial/industrial world.
Besides RV shops, look for a golf cart shop for both sales and installation.

If you do not already have a battery filling system, now is the time to get one.
Amazon.com: Flow-Rite RV2000 Pro-Fill RV Edition 2 Battery Kit: Automotive

Larry

As an Amazon Associate Lazy Daze Owners' Group earns from qualifying purchases.
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #8
Hello Joan theres a company called Battery town that's where I got mine and they had the best price on the Trojans I'm in Valencia not to far from you if you cant get them installed I would be happy to help you out.
                                       Joe
2009 Kodiak 32 foot Island Bed

Reply #9
Also, you might check at Costco...they had the equivalent to the T105 for around $80 at the time I was looking...two years ago. They are NOT as good a battery, but at that price if they last five years, it's a no-brainer since one T105 is usually over $130 plus. I went w/the T145 since I use a lot of power, and they up my charging/useage threshold by  about 40-45 amps.  They ran me $210 each.
At 01:48 PM 8/3/2016, you wrote:

Thanks Jon for your info! I will look for their Website.. I was just writing this when your post came up.. It's amazing the difference in price of Batteries and how much to put in. First Camping World doesn't have Trojan Batteries. They have Exide for $135 each and $16each to put in. Then I called Neil's RV and they have Interstate for $129.99 each and $135 to put in < lol wow. That is the only two places I know of and they don't have Trojan Batteries ..

You can reply to this email and have it posted as a topic reply.
LDO Links:

index.php?action=notifyboard;board=3.0 Regards, The Lazy Daze Owners Team

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Gini Free and Junah, canine xtrodinaire "CHERRYOTTE" our litte red home on wheels "Growing old is mandatory. Growing wise is optional."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Gini Free and Junah, canine xtrodinaire
"CHERRYOTTE" our little red home on wheels
"Growing old is mandatory. Growing wise is optional."

Reply #10
Jo, go to Media>Group Files>Maintenance & Repairs>How to Install 6 Volt Batteries.  It's a doc I posted a long time ago. Print it out and take it along if you wish.
Chris
Formerly: 2002 30' IB

Reply #11
Hi LD Peeps,

I want to thank you guys for your much needed help. I was going to go the the Trojan Shop not too far from my house and buy the batteries. They said they can put them in for me but have never put one in an RV. With Solar, cut off switch and water system on the battery I was concerned about that. Thanks to Joe who told me where I can get the Batteries at a lower price and he would help me put the batteries in I was so grateful for that. I will be picking up the batteries next week and meeting up with Joe next weekend. Chris, thank you for that info & where to find it. I also found the Trojan Battery User Guide which I will read and learn how to keep my new batteries in good working condition. That is where I went wrong. I didn't know about the Battery cut off switch etc. And I have the watering system but could not find the pump ( just guessing the name) that puts the distilled water in batteries if low. Batteries were original probably 2007 as RV owner didn't pick rig up until July 2007. I realize Batteries were probably still good but I blew it by not reading any info. Gini, thank you for that info on Costco. I love getting deals & Costco is one of many places to get a good deals plus their extended warranty ( no extra charge) is awesome. I just feel more comfortable with the Trojan Battery and can't settle for anything else. Oh and Larry, I have a Battery watering system.. lol I'm laughing as it seems like I'm talking about garden equipment  :D  I'll get the lingo down soon. Thank you All again for your help !!!