Skip to main content
Topic: Refrigerator Fans - Warning (Read 239 times) previous topic - next topic
Refrigerator Fans - Warning
Back around the first the year someone here posted about these fans.
http://rvcoolingunit.com/Dometic-Evaporator-Fan-Greater-inside-Cooling-Customer-Deluxe-wGrill-P3239952.aspx

I had a "computer fan" in the refer for years and knew it helped with the temperature. This offered two fans in a slim case. And two are better than one, right, so I ordered one.

One fan stopped after a month of use. The second shortly after that. The vendor suggested oiling them. Considering that computer fans can run no stop for years, that seemed odd to me, but I did it, to no effect. The vendor did not offer a replacement or refund and for less than $20, I could care less.

I bought a computer fan yesterday for $7 and will wire it in. The old style works best for me.

Don & Dorothy
Sold our LD in June of 2023

Our boring always non-PC travel blog
Traveling Dorothy

Re: Refrigerator Fans - Warning
Reply #1
Considering how packed our fridge is on long trips, that unit also appears rather intrusive. Our little muffin fan hooked across the fridge light switch and positioned so it  takes no 'useable' space still circulates well even when the fridge is full.

Steve
2004 FL
2013 Honda Fit

Reply #2

We have used these Volterra fans for years and have worked for us, does any body have an opinion?  We are always looking for somthing better?

Karen~Liam
  98 - 26.5 MB

Amazon.com: Valterra A10-2606 FridgeCool 11.28 mA Fan with On/Off Switch:...

As an Amazon Associate Lazy Daze Owners' Group earns from qualifying purchases.
1998 ~ MB  WanderDaze
previously a 1984 Winnebago itaska- The Road Warrior, before that several VW Buses and before that a 1965 Chrysler Convertible Newport or our 1969 Chrysler La Barron with an ice box and a couple sleeping bags

Reply #3
For many years, we have used a small computer fan, hung under a shelf in the refrigerator. It was wired across the light switch and only ran when the door was close, Running the current through the bulb lowered the voltage so the fan ran slower and made less noise.
Refrigerator fan | Flickr

Last summer, when the fan arrangement that Don was using became popular, I experienced with several similar arrangements, using two fans and a couple of configurations, concerned with how well it keep the refrigerator cool and it's power consumption.  I didn't see much of a difference considering how much room is used.
New refrigerator and shroud | Flickr

Next, an extremely quiet fan was found,. It was mounted in the right-hand corner of the middle shelf. The newer Dometic's interior light is wired differently than the old one and could not be easily wired across the light switch so a different approach is taken. 12-volt power is brought in from the back of the refrigerator, utilizing the access hole used by the thermo sensor.
The fan runs any time the refrigerator is powered up.  This arrangement has worked as well as any.
My conclusion is that force circulation is good and there are several ways of accomplishing it.
Refrigerator fan | Flickr

One more fan addition that may be of interest. Small computers fan, in the refrigerator's chimney,  are a common, helping to enhance air flow up and over the cooling coils.
Most are wired so they come on when the refrigerator is powered up and run all the time, day or night, unless a separate switch is added and used.
Increasing air flow up the chimney is only needed during the daytime.
So, instead of using battery power, 24/7, our LD uses two computer fans, wired in series,  and run them directly off the solar panel's output. The power is accessed in the rooftop solar combiner box. Wired this way, the fans only run when the sun is up ands the use the power efficiently.
The solar panel's output is about 19-volts, when the sun is shinning. Wiring the two 12-volt fans in series allows them to use the higher voltage without problems.

Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #4
  We have used these Volterra fans for years and have worked for us, does any body have an opinion?  We are always looking for somthing better
Amazon.com: Valterra A10-2606 FridgeCool 11.28 mA Fan with On/Off Switch:...
We ran one of those for many years, during our early days of LDing.
Wanting something better and that didn't need periodic battery changes, we started using hard-wired computer fans.
The computer fans use little power and provide more powerful air circulation.

Larry
As an Amazon Associate Lazy Daze Owners' Group earns from qualifying purchases.
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #5
Another type commonly used.
Has an on/off switch.
Works for me.
Ed

Ref fan.

Reply #6
Ed, that the vendor I referenced and the reason for my post. Maybe I got a fan from a bad batch, but the vendor did not offer to replace it. So I am saying dforce1029 on ebay may not be a good source.

This is what I went back to after the crummy fan I got from ebay.
Maybe someone will get something out of this post from 2011 when I did it like bumper, except for the solar panels.
KoKo: Cooling the Refrigerator With Muffins Fans

PS After removing the ebay fan I think I know why it quit. I mounted it to the fins as shown on the vendors web site. Well, that is sometimes a wet area and water and electronic items do not play well together.

Don & Dorothy
Sold our LD in June of 2023

Our boring always non-PC travel blog
Traveling Dorothy