Reply #1
Interesting article; thx for the info.

Lynne
Lynne
LDy Lulubelle, Green '05 31' TB
Lilly, the 4-Legged Alarm

Re: Lyme Disease
Reply #2
It's a disease we hear about all too often here in Minnesota. I have an older Bichon who got a mild case of it. The vet didn't recommend treatment. Lots of deer here that spread it. The ticks that transmit lymes are so tiny that one may not even see them. Bug spray seems to work to repeal them. It's a nasty disease with nasty symptoms.
Todd (and Steve)
'17 Winnebago Minnie Winnie and '13 Honda CRV
(Former '99 RB owners from 2012-2016)

Reply #3
Unfortunately, I've seen this first hand folks & lemme tell you, for the person involved, it was horrible. The following time line is provided so as to help others diagnose. Down here in the South, it's called Rocky Mountain spotted fever (RMSF). I'm sure there's a technical difference between RMSF & Lyme disease, but they're both caused by tick bites.

Day 1 - Out of doors outing, early May, found normal-sized (non-engorged), brown, "dog tick" attached that evening. Tick was removed, head intact using vasoline. All progressed as normal, a few days later there wasn't even a small red spot anymore.

Day 7-9 - The victim felt as though she were "coming down with something". Lethargic and tired. Listlessness and mild fever ensued.

Day 10 - The infected victim became violently ill.

Day 11-14  - Victim's condition worsened. Presented as the flu, a severe case of it with dehydration/whole body aches/fever the whole nine yards. I had H1N1 back in 2009, the victim's symptoms mirrored those that I'd suffered with. Conditions progressively deteriorated.

Day 15 - ER visit confirmed RMSF bacteria present. Dehydration treated with IV, 200 mg Doxycycline x 10 days. Improvements in condition noted within 36 hours.

Day 17 - Victim seemed to be on the mend. Became very sensitive to sunlight. The "spotted fever" finally began to show on extremities.

Day 19 - Victim's condition regressed somewhat as the bacteria began to die off in en masse thus releasing their toxic brew into the victim.

Day 21-28 - Conditions steadily improved. Note: the bite area never developed a "bulls-eye" ring, became swollen or presented any indication that infection had occurred. The tick itself looked just like any other normal tick. The head was removed with the body within hours of attachment.

ER doctor said that bacteria can be detected within 24-48 hours of infection and that if you wait until symptoms are present, then you're in for a bad ride.

Lesson learned. Prevention is the key. If and when I have a tick, I'll be getting a blood test.

Ray
Now doing without...

Reply #5
RMSF and Lyme are both ugly, tick-borne diseases, but they're not the same; these sites explain the differences:

Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever (RMSF) | CDC

Lyme Disease | Lyme Disease | CDC

Also, according to the article, in regards to Lyme the bulls eye rash only happens in 20% of the cases. Plus the current tests aren't all that accurate and diagnosis is either missed or misdiagnosed. Which was the case for Kris Kristofferson who was treated for dementia for years only to find it was Lyme.

Jim

Reply #6
This is not just an East Coast, southern states, or mid-West issue.   We in the Sierra have this nasty disease, too.    Several years ago a friend was sure he had Lyme disease.   The doctors told him "that's impossible, we don't have it here".    In fact, he had been bitten (had bull's eye) on his own property in northwestern NV.   There were confirmed cases near and around Placerville, CA at the time.     He had to find a doctor who would agree to test and then treat.   By that time, the disease had destroyed both hip joints which had to be replaced.    He has on-going rheumatoid arthritis-type symptoms and will for the rest of his life though he tests negative for RA.    If there are deer in the area, there will be deer ticks.   Be aware and use some sort of appropriate bug spray. 
Juli W.
Former owner 1994 mid bath,  2006 26.5'rear bath

Reply #7
 It is almost epidemic here in Pa but very hard to find good treatment.

Reply #8
I live in VA and when younger camped and backpacked in the Md, Va and WV. I have been diagnosed twice with Lime and think I may have had it on another occasion.  Luckily the one self diagnosed time thaw Drs. didn't agree with was followed by another illness that required antibiotics. 
Now when I go out in warmer weather I have DEET on exposed skin and Permethrin on my clothing.  I get Permethrin in a spray bottle from REI. This works for our family because we do not have cats. The compound is very very toxic for cats. Permethrin - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Currently: 2008 36' Tiffin Open Road
Previously: 2007 Mid Bath

Reply #9
I live in VA and when younger camped and backpacked in the Md, Va and WV. I have been diagnosed twice with Lime and think I may have had it on another occasion.  Luckily the one self diagnosed time thaw Drs. didn't agree with was followed by another illness that required antibiotics. 
Now when I go out in warmer weather I have DEET on exposed skin and Permethrin on my clothing.  I get Permethrin in a spray bottle from REI. This works for our family because we do not have cats. The compound is very very toxic for cats. Permethrin - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
I managed to get antibiotics from a dentist I was shooting with when my Dr refused.

Reply #10
This has many of us concerned.

My DW's greatest desire is to take our three small dogs with us occasionally on our LD adventures.

I called our vet and was told there is a vaccination the little guys can get. I have concerns for us as well regarding tick bites.

I picked up DEET spray and a DEET free aresol and pump spray that is Organic and safe around children and pets.

I saw a magazine cover today of Kris Kristofferson being miraculously cured of Alzheimer's disease. Didn't read the article so I'm not sure if they talked about his Lyme disease infection.

It appears this has some very serious ramifications. Am I paranoid, overreacting or what?

Kent

2015 27' RB "MissB.Haven"

Reply #11
Not over-reacting, just intelligent! We have 2 Bichons and have been reluctant to use the mainstrem meds like Frontline. The Vet believes the products are safe but there are controversies with regard to their safety. Pepper, our oldest Bichon had seizures when he was a puppy. He is on a low dose of phenobarbitol (he's 16 now!). I'm going to take a look at the natural akternatives you highlight. Todd
Todd (and Steve)
'17 Winnebago Minnie Winnie and '13 Honda CRV
(Former '99 RB owners from 2012-2016)

Reply #12
Todd,

It appears that EcoSmart is working on a dedicated Pet Formula. EcoSMART® - The Safe Pesticide Brand | Safe Pesticides for Home | Organic...

I agree with you regarding vet meds. Our little friends are on Trifexis and have been for years with no side effects.

Two of our dogs are Multi-Poos and one is the sweetest Morky blind as a bat and twice as agile.

As it is, I am not certain of the usefulness of the EcoSmart products I picked up for human use and the possible use on the pets. I'll have to read the label again.

I do use their yard treatment (liquid that sprays on the yard via the garden hose). Smells like Beamans chewing gum. Very pleasant. It seems pretty effective so far. You just need to be proactive and spray the yard and surrounding areas prior to flea and tick season (if there is a tick season).

Found the product line at Home Depot & Target in their garden centers.

Best to your pets and safe travels.

Kent
2015 27' RB "MissB.Haven"