Skip to main content
Topic: Verizon Unlimited Data Plan (Read 184 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Verizon Unlimited Data Plan
Reply #1
I read about this elsewhere, but not covered as well as at Technomadia (of course!). Streamers can easily exceed this amount. I wonder of any of our members are affected?
Paul
'92 Mid Bath

Reply #2
un·lim·it·ed ˌənˈlimidəd/
adjective
not limited or restricted in terms of number, quantity, or extent.
"the range of possible adaptations was unlimited"
synonyms:   inexhaustible, limitless, illimitable, boundless, immeasurable, incalculable, untold, infinite, endless, bottomless, never-ending

Something I cut and pasted from a dictionary.    Only a lawyer from a large telco company can justify unlimited means using less.   <sarcasm mode on>  My my those nasty users that actually use what they pay for.   As we all know it's the user's fault to believe they deserve what they paid for.  <sarcasm mode off> 

personal fine art photo stuff
TF Mack | Flickr
It's all good .......
2014 Twin King

Reply #3
The OP encouraged me to review our Verizon plan.  For .25 LESS a month, we went from 1gig to two (2) gigs.  What??  This certainly must be a Verizon trick I thought.  Read the small print and I can't find any tricks.  So we changed plans. ... Time will tell as with all things.

Reply #4
I'm not happy with Verizon's time-to-time "changes."  I suppose it's fair after I retired from teaching that I lost the school district's 17% discount. 

Holding on like a "junkyard dog," I have held on to my "grandfathered in" unlimited data.  Verizon added an extra $20.00/month to my bill a few months ago.  I'm sure that I come nowhere near using the data, but I do tether my laptop to my cellphone and stream to my TV when I travel.  Actually, I could probably do this at home and get rid of my ISP.

<snip>
Verizon is notifying customers using an “extraordinary” amount of data per month that they must move off their unlimited data plan by August 31. If they don’t switch, the carrier will disconnect their accounts, though they’ll have 50 days to reactivate them on a limited plan.

“Extraordinary” usage appears to be people who are sucking down more than 100GB every month. Verizon reports that a very small number of users are exceeding 100GB every month on a single device. The carrier deems this as extraordinary since its largest monthly plan offers that amount of data as a shared bucket used by multiple devices.

Verizon feels it needs a way to prevent heavy data users from gobbling up network resources—or at least get them to pay a higher price for it.

Other anti-unlimited measures by Verizon haven’t been so small scale. In 2012, Verizon said it would force anyone on an unlimited plan to switch away from that plan when they upgraded to 4G LTE phones. That apparently never happened, since by 2014 Verizon was threatening to throttle unlimited data plan customers who were using too much data on its LTE network.

Verizon backed off its throttling plans for LTE after a tussle with the Federal Communications Commission. The company then ceased throttling 3G users in August 2015 after the FCC enacted its net neutrality policy for carriers and home broadband ISPs. Verizon most recent move against unlimited data plan holdouts happened in October 2015, when the company upped the price of its unlimited data plans from $30 to $50.

Is this all fair?  Probably not.  However, Verizon has the widest coverage range and that's the main reason I use their service.

Cheryl (a.k.a. Desert Diva)
1998 Lazy Daze (26.5 mid-bath)
2002 Honda CR-V