Skip to main content
Topic: Installing sliding basket in cabinet under oven (Read 275 times) previous topic - next topic
Installing sliding basket in cabinet under oven
Hi....

I have a wire basket with slide brackets to install in the cabinet under the oven in a TK. There is carpet on the floor of the cabinet. I have thought to remove carpet under only the brackets, or to remove it entirely. Could also leave it and install the screws through the carpet. Any thoughts, pro and con, on what you would recommend? Thanks.

Re: Installing sliding basket in cabinet under oven
Reply #1
Interesting. In order to access stuff in that cabinet, you need to kneel on the floor and hold a flashlight to see what's in there.
What type of basket are you using?
Thanks
Ed

Reply #2
It's about 3 inches high. The purpose is to be able to store stuff there and pull the basket out so you don't have to get down on all fours to retrieve items. We have one in our kitchen at home, in a base cabinet.

Reply #3
I thought of installing a sliding tray under the (TK) stove some years ago, but decided that it was too much hassle to access the floor-level cabinet and try to screw in slider brackets, with or without taking the carpet out. Smart and Final had a closeout sale on bus trays; I bought 6 and use them as drawers/containers in that cabinet, the cabinet under the closet, and in the exterior compartments. The trays are cheap, extremely tough, washable, and a convenient size, i.e. , 20"X15"X5". The trays slide back and forth very easily on the carpeted floors of the cabinets.

Smart and Final doesn't carry these any more, but any restaurant supply house does; the source that I have used with good results is The Webstaurant Store:

Bus Tubs and Bus Boxes

These work great for me, but YMMV.  ;)
2003 TK has a new home

Reply #4
Very interesting! Thanks for the idea. Might save me some hassle.

Reply #5
Those really heavy yellow meat trays make good "sliders" for this place or that, and they come in many sizes. You can try out the system to see how it works for you before investing in something sturdier.

Also, if you have about an 8-inch width of hanger rod in your closet, a hanging shoe holder, the kind with compartments, not just little pockets, will accommodate the plastic shoe boxes that are about a buck each. At least in mine, there is enough of a compression fit to keep the plastic shoe box in the holder snugly. These containers are handy for underwear and other lightweight clothing, kitchen towels, paper goods, plastic bags, toiletries, even shoes!

This frees up regular drawer space for heavier items.

Virtual hugs,

Judie

Dorrieanne.wordpress.com

Reply #6
The cabinet under the refrigerator is where we store the cleaning products that are not in use multiple times a day. Yes, getting them in and out is a pain.

Neither of us bends particularly easily these days, so our solution is to put the items into (my fave) a plastic shoe box and just lift the whole thing up over the lip to choose the desired item. The shorter items do better in here; hand wrestling the taller items is necessary, though. I do keep a clean foam meat tray on the floor in there because - well - stuff leaks out of aerosol cans, and dribbles down the sides of bottles, cans, and jars when being used. This is not always noted by the user of the product, so it is put away gooey. The meat trays are ugly, granted, but "Better Motorhomes and Gardens" has never wanted to do a story on our rig!

Mostly these trays do their jobs quite unseen by others, and are easily changed out when they get messy. The smaller ones, like the ones sometimes found with fruits and vegetables, make a good, disposable spoon drip when cooking. They are easily scissored to size and can be used between dishes or pots and pans that are rattling, or anything vulnerable to breaking upon unexpected impact with another item.

If you use a cooler, especially a soft-sided one, to take food/beverages off on a day trip, they are great to slip down the sides of the cooler, along the bottom, and another one across the top. The extra insulation is amazingly effective. Also . . . Reflectix makes a huge difference in cold retention. A layer across the top of the foodstuffs keeps the cold where it belongs instead of chilling all of the extra air in the cooler.

Since I have not found a way to officially recycle the foam trays, it makes me happy to be able to put them to a few good uses before discarding them.

Virtual hugs,

Judie

Adventures of Dorrie Anne | Photographing the West

Reply #7
"I do keep a clean foam meat tray..."

Hi Judie,

We keep a couple of foam meat trays as well. I keep one as a spare and the other one, currently in use, sits in the right hand kitchen sink. I cut a hole in the bottom of the foam so water will drain.

It's very handy for protecting the sink's surface when utensils are set aside before washing. I scrub it clean daily and although it isn't the most beautiful thing to look at, it's better than banging up the sink.

The left sink gets an expandable plastic /rubber collander when it's time to do the dishes.

Here's a shot of a simple fix.

Kent
2015 27' RB "MissB.Haven"