Skip to main content
Topic: 1994 26.5 Mid bath Leaking storage compartment (Read 380 times) previous topic - next topic
1994 26.5 Mid bath Leaking storage compartment
Hello-

I am new to Rv'ing and to Lazy Daze. I searched for over a year before I found just the right unit, a 1994 26.5 Mid bath. I had a custom sofa built in the rear to replace the barrel chairs and make one big bed in the rear.

After a large rain storm I opened the lower right had storage bin behind the rear wheel, and noticed that it was wet inside, and it appears as if it has been wet many many times inside. the door appears to be closing tightly and and the seal is intact and in good shape.

Any advice?

Re: 1994 26.5 Mid bath Leaking storage compartment
Reply #1
I assume you have everything out of it and it is open and drying out? Have you been underneath to inspect it? That where I would start. A good light and mirror and safety goggles will help. Also take photos!

Can you see if the wetness begins in any part of the compartment, top, front, rear?  I think you will find the storage compartments in yours are , like mine, built from plywood. They can take a beating underneath and need to be maintained. Tell us more when you inspect them.

I also assume your sofa work was on the opposite side of the LD?
Paul
'92 Mid Bath

Reply #2
Yes, that wasnthe opposite side. Ill check this today and post any info.

Reply #3
With a twenty three year old rig, the water could be coming from several places.
The roof seam and/or window above the compartment could be leaking, with the water ending up in the storage compartment.
The end caps can leak and let water in, usually rotting the rear wall and corners.

In any case, water in the compartment is a bad sign because it likely comes in from above and wets the framing and insulation, in the process. 
Large amounts of water do not normally  show up in the exterior compartments unless subjected to a driving rain, from the side.
Wet framing can be the kiss of death to a LD...find it and fix it ASAP.

Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #4
I had the same issue on the passenger side rear compartment. My leak was coming from the window above the compartment right at the point where the two pieces of siding overlap behind the window frame. I had dry rot in the wall under the window. Push in a bit on the wall below, each side and above the window (inside your coach). If you have any damage you'll feel it with soft paneling.  My bet is your window is leaking down the wall into the storage compartment although it could be a leak at your roof as well.

I still like my coach by Iv'e had two leaks at the point where the siding overlaps behind a window frame....

1997 23.5 Twin/King

Reply #5
I wanted to say thank you to ALL who replied. After some checking, this was a FALSE alarm.

I keep several pieces of 2x6 in this compartment for leveling. These pieces were taken out of the compartment and sprayed with squirt guns by my kids who were playing "fire fighter". After they were done playing, they dutifully replaced the wet wood into the compartment.

We had a wicked rain storm and flash flood warning today, all is dry in all compartments, no issues.

If this compartment is made of wood what is/are the maintenance requirements for the underside and inside in order to keep this compartment intact over the years? It appears to have a black coating that is peeling.

Thanks!

Reply #6
It would be good to hear from more experienced people than I, but here goes my $0.02:

I ended up using a rubberized sealant rated for wood or metal, there were a few brands local store carried, I chose Rustoleum. Some were developed for treating pruned trees, which may be good.

Most importantly, don your goggles, and maybe a mask or face shield, get comfortable on a creeper underneath (or find a thin and flexible avatar you can count on), light up the area and start prepping the wood compartments. Scrape, wire brush, rough sand everything you can reach. With the right attitude it can be weirdly satisfying. Inspect the plywood for damages that need repair. None? Good, on to step three.

Spray and overbrush everything you can see and especially everything you can't see. Wait. Repeat. Wait. Repeat. Mine took 4 spray cans.

While underneath it is a fine time to check all those carriage bolts and everything else. Oh, and take pictures for us!

Ongoing, be sure to clean off the mud if there is any, to encourage the wood to dry out as soon as possible. In my case this is not a frequent need. 

To the points raised by others, water coming from windows and corners to the inside of compartments, there are several good threads in these forums to review. 
Paul
'92 Mid Bath

Reply #7
I spray all the exposed wood with  rubberized automotive undercoating. A couple of good coats does the trick for me.
Ed

Reply #8
Just about every older LD seen, with wood exterior storage boxes, has peeling undercoating.
The stuff doesn't  stick well to wood, it sits on top of the wood and peels off in sheets, showing the lack of penetration and adhesion.
Wood expands and contract with changes in moisture content and the undercoating, after hardening with age, loses the flexibility to move with it, leading to peeling.

Two materials I use to reseal the wood are paint and epoxy resin.
Two heavy coats exterior undercoating, plus an exterior finish coat, does a good job of sealing the wood and filling the cracks.
A coat of marine epoxy or a thinned fiberglass resin penetrates and seals the wood well.
A spray on undercoating can be spray over each of the above materials, if you like.
I prefer not to use just the spray undercoating on wood, it's messy and it's effectiveness on wood is limited.

Check the edges and corners of the boxes for damage, making the repairs before resealing.
LD's change to plastic exterior storage boxes was a major improvement.

Larry
Larry

Reply #9
While it is good to paint or refinish the outside of the compartments, it is also important to seal the seams and any openings to the outside - from the IINSIDE. On our '83, I used a polyurethane sealant intended for gutters, designed to bond to any metal or wood surface and stay flexible. They take a good while to cure, and are messy to work with, but should hold up for the life of the rig.

Steve
2004 FL
2013 Honda Fit

Reply #10
Just about every older LD seen, with wood exterior storage boxes, has peeling undercoating.
The stuff doesn't  stick well to wood, it sits on top of the wood and peels off in sheets, showing the lack of penetration and adhesion.
Wood expands and contract with changes in moisture content and the undercoating, after hardening with age, loses the flexibility to move with it, leading to peeling.

Two materials I use to reseal the wood are paint and epoxy resin.
Two heavy coats exterior undercoating, plus an exterior finish coat, does a good job of sealing the wood and filling the cracks.
A coat of marine epoxy or a thinned fiberglass resin penetrates and seals the wood well.
A spray on undercoating can be spray over each of the above materials, if you like.
I prefer not to use just the spray undercoating on wood, it's messy and it's effectiveness on wood is limited.

Check the edges and corners of the boxes for damage, making the repairs before resealing.
LD's change to plastic exterior storage boxes was a major improvement.

Larry

Larry,

Your advising I scrape of the old undercoating and spread resin on the box to fill the cracks etc. Then spray rubberized undercoating over the resin once its cured? I wonder if truck bed liner would work better over the resin?

Reply #11
I wonder if truck bed liner would work better over the resin?
The two-part bed liners are much tougher than spray undercoating, not sure if it is worth the effort or expense.
The important thing is to the seal the wood with something that soaks into the grain.

Larry
Larry

Reply #12
Preparation! The truck bed liners will peel just as happily as the rubberized spray paint if the prep is not done perfectly. I looked at them but rejected because the very rough surface tends to hold dirt, thus moisture, and I feared, could be a place where rot and decay begins if there is any small fissure in the coating where moisture could wick into the dry wood. Where I live the environment makes me continually worry about that.  The epoxy solution Larry recommends may be my next step, but I don't mind spending a little time each year on my creeper under the LD inspecting and re-sealing. For now...this will change.
Paul
'92 Mid Bath

Reply #13
Re the spray-on truck bed liner -- it's apparently a "thing" to spray the whole truck with that stuff, in order to look extra tough. Some local dude did this to a big lifted 4x4 crew cab long bed truck and it was awful. When the sun hit the textured coating, it got all sparkly, like glitter. 

So don't spray the entire Lazy Daze with bed liner unless you, too, want to sparkle.

fu
fu
2015TK