Skip to main content
Topic: Will spare work for dually? (Read 177 times) previous topic - next topic
Will spare work for dually?
1989 22' Multiplan with Chevy chassis.

Had a delamination of driver's side inner tire. Thankfully, I was 7 miles from home on a 300 mile trip.

This is my learning lesson that tires "looking good" with no cracking or checking doesn't mean a damn. I will be replacing tires as scheduled in the future.

Anyways, I have 1 blown tire. My LD has 1 spare tire. Can I use the spare to A) replace the dually to get 20 miles to a tire shop or B) separate the dually hub and replace the blown side with the spare?

I'm not really sure how the spare is supposed to work, or even if it works at all with a rear tire.
1989 MP

Re: Will spare work for dually?
Reply #1
Yeap, it'll work.  The rims are the same size.  The inner rim & tire are mounted with the opening to the inside.  The outside tire mates with inside tire.  Hope this helps.

Reply #2
1989 22' Multiplan with Chevy chassis.
Anyways, I have 1 blown tire. My LD has 1 spare tire. Can I use the spare to A) replace the dually to get 20 miles to a tire shop or B) separate the dually hub and replace the blown side with the spare?
Yes, since the outside diameter of the narrower spare is the same. Have it replaced too, though.

Steve
2004 FL
2013 Honda Fit

Reply #3
Will a bottle jack reach the frame and raise enough to get the tire off the ground?
1989 MP

Reply #4
If the bottle jack is big enough. Meaning of capacity to lift the loaded coach. At least the three I have all do. 
Paul
'92 Mid Bath

Reply #5
Will a bottle jack reach the frame and raise enough to get the tire off the ground?

No, with our '83 Chevy, I needed to first raise and block the chassis, then raise the rear axle enough for the tires to clear. You'll never raise the chassis enough by itself to clear the tires, and if you just do the axle, the tires won't clear the fender.

Steve
2004 FL
2013 Honda Fit