Skip to main content
Topic: East Bay Truck Center closed. Need a new service dept in San Francisco Bay Area (Read 551 times) previous topic - next topic
East Bay Truck Center closed. Need a new service dept in San Francisco Bay Area
Hi all,
Getting things in order before a new trip in September and I discovered East Bay Truck Center in Oakland, where I started taking my LD last year for regular service, has closed. They are sending everyone down to San Jose for service, but I'd really like to find someplace closer to home (San Francisco). I'm asking again for recommendations.

Any San Francisco Bay Area shops that folks love? Please let me know.

Thanks,
David G.
2005 MB

Re: East Bay Truck Center closed. Need a new service dept in San Francisco Bay Area
Reply #1
David,

I've used Bruce's Tire in San Jose for engine and brake work and been very happy with the quality of the work they've done for me. They have locations in Oakland and Fremont that I've not used.
David

Hi all,

Getting things in order before a new trip in September and I discovered East Bay Truck Center in Oakland, where I started taking my LD last year for regular service, has closed. They are sending everyone down to San Jose for service, but I'd really like to find someplace closer to home (San Francisco). I'm asking again for recommendations.
Any San Francisco Bay Area shops that folks love? Please let me know.

Thanks,
David G.

--

davehrrs@gmail.com
David Harris
2920 Taper Ave.

Santa Clara, CA 95051
(408) 206-8800
RV: 2002 MB
Toad: 2014 CR-V

Re: East Bay Truck Center closed. Need a new service dept in San Francisco Bay Area
Reply #2
Thanks David, I'll look into them.

David G.
2005 MB

Reply #3
Dave,  Did you find any where close?  I just discovered they had moved. Bummer. Crystal
2001 30' IB

Reply #4
David G.

I know that it's a fur piece away from S.F. but it is in the East Bay... try

Timmons Auto & Truck Repair | Pleasant Hill Auto Repair

Their shop is relatively small and there's not a lot of wiggle room but they tool around in my 30'IB with no problem and I've seen bigger RVs there as well. The customer relations are superb and the service beyond reproach. I've had my LD serviced there for several years now.   ;D
Steve S.
Lazy Bones & Cedar
2004 30'IB (Island Bed)
Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery
Live for the day!

Reply #5
Steve S,
Thanks for the link. I'll keep if my guy disappoints me somewhere down the line. It's important to be able to get there on short notice and quickly sometimes, so the closer the better.

David G
2005 MB

Reply #6
We have used Paul's Tire and Brake on Geary at 10th next to the sourdough bakery, especially for minor things. But we have also used Art Davis Truck Repair on Bryant between 5th and 6th for tune-ups and larger jobs.  That shop was sold to new owners about 3 years ago, but the old retired owner still recommends them.  The shop sits on the corner of Bryant and Oak Grove ally on the north side of Bryant.  I have never used a local shop for repairs to the house side of the RV, just chassis stuff.
2017 RB

Reply #7
By the way, a good way to use the Bryant Street shop is try and book the appointment on a Wednesday mid-morning.  Drop off the rig, then walk over 4-blocks to the ball park and catch a Giant's game. All Wednesday home games start at noon.  Pick up the rig after the game.
2017 RB

Reply #8
Wow, thanks Ray! I will check them out. It would be much nicer to get it done locally. Great tip about the ballpark. Suddenly I want to bring in the rig!

David G
2005 MB

Reply #9
Hi!

I see you all are near me. I was wondering if anyone here has had a complete brake overhaul done at a local shop? I am having work done (alternator and transmission replacement) done at General Transmission in Albany, as they did my Corolla and have given best quote for tranny replacement ($3200 compared to the $5k elsewhere), but they are not sure about working on entire brake system of an RV.

Lisa G.
1991 22' LD Multi-Plan

Reply #10
While I have yet to have major work done on my brake system, should that day arrive I will take my Lazy Daze to the folks that service her when needed.

I've had other facilities do work for me but for one reason or another I was very glad to find Timmons Auto & Truck Repair in Pleasant Hill (Walnut Creek/Concord area). They have always provided me with quality service and the only thing I will not allow them to do is remove and replace the wheel covers (I'm pretty anal about that). Plus the service they are good people.

Pleasant Hill Auto Repair | Timmons Auto & Truck Repair
Steve S.
Lazy Bones & Cedar
2004 30'IB (Island Bed)
Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery
Live for the day!

Reply #11
I see you all are near me. I was wondering if anyone here has had a complete brake overhaul done at a local shop? I am having work done (alternator and transmission replacement) done at General Transmission in Albany, as they did my Corolla and have given best quote for tranny replacement ($3200 compared to the $5k elsewhere), but they are not sure about working on entire brake system of an RV.

Many shops hesitate working RVs, due to the weight concerns and many times, insurance weight constraints.
Actually, the front  and rear brakes on your LD are very similar to cars, the difference being everything on an RV weights a lot more requiring bigger jacks, stands and tools.  It can cost a lot more too if major parts need replacing.
It's hard to make price comparisons, since you have no idea exactly what needs to be done, the skill level of the labor and what part's quality level are used.
Auto and truck parts come in 'consumer' grade and 'professional' grade; cheap vs. OEM quality. Guess what costs more?
Steve is particular about his LD and I would assume they perform good work.

Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #12
I've been taking my rigs for several years to

Specialized Automotive
510-569-9870
1366 Doolittle Dr #3
San Leandro CA 94577

and been very happy with their work. George has an encyclopedic, wizard like knowledge of engines. There's always a couple of RVs being worked on, as well as other heavy duty work trucks. There's a steady stream of guys bringing in their precious, unique, beautiful, and antique cars for service. (Don't want to call them hot rods.) Other mechanics are always in there seeking George's advice. He's had the same guys working for him for a long time. No fancy customer waiting area, just lots of experience and plenty of answers to my questions.

Two bays over, in Bay #3, is East Bay Frame and Axle. They're always working on big stuff too, buses, welding trucks, RVs, etc. My MB looks like a pipsqueak straddling their sunken work pit. And their heavy shop tools, giant wrenches, comealongs, are all clean as a whistle. You could practically eat off the floor.

And just for lagnaipe, down at the end of the row of bays dwells an auto and RV detail guy who has a pressure washer bay big enough for the RV. He's very detailed and careful with his washer. He's happy to polish just my blue paints for a reasonable to me price, as I have not a place (or the inclination) to do it myself.

Costco, Home Depot, and Wal-Mart are all just across the railroad tracks off Davis St. There you go, one stop shopping in the inner East Bay.

Kathy L.
1999 Blue Midbath
1999 MB

Reply #13
Hi,

I think this may be the place I called that quoted me $5k for transmission. Not sure. I'll call and find out. San Leandro is right next door, so certainly more convenient than braving the streets of SF in this behemoth. I prefer not to drive over to SF at all. Lived there for a long time and never owned a car, and every time I go over there, I wish I didn't have one!

Lisa
1991 22' LD Multi-Plan