Skip to main content
Topic: Partial Paint Job... (Read 227 times) previous topic - next topic
Partial Paint Job...
I'm wintering again this year in Puerto Peñasco.  The year before last I had both sofas and my dinette recovered in "pleather" (plastic leather).  Last year I did the same for both driver's seats.  The quality of the work was excellent in my opinion, and it was done for a fraction of the price once would pay in the United States.

Every year I also have my rig washed and waxed at the campground where I stay.  The manager and his crew do the work for $1.50/foot. 

This coming fall/winter I'm think about have the bottom area painted and the RV striping redone.  Many people have had their RV's (and cars) repainted and the results are wonderful.

I have the gray and white (1998 where the white has a bluish cast some say).  I know many people "swear" by having their Lazy Daze repainted at the factory, but I'm not talking about the upper body (which still looks fine).  I'm talking about the surrounding areas where the cargo bays are. 

The bottom area looks dull, and even when waxed offsets the upper paint job in a negative manner.  I suppose my question is has anyone just had the bottom cargo bay area repainted or is there any alternative.  Since it's a 1998, I thing the bottom has become faded and oxidized. 

I'm attaching a photo of my RV.  As an aside, location is South Beach State Park in Newport, Oregon where I camp-hosted for the month of August last year.  How I wish I were there now instead of sweltering in the Southwest heat! 
Cheryl (a.k.a. Desert Diva)
1998 Lazy Daze (26.5 mid-bath)
2002 Honda CR-V

Re: Partial Paint Job...
Reply #1
This coming fall/winter I'm think about have the bottom area painted and the RV striping redone. 
The bottom area looks dull, and even when waxed offsets the upper paint job in a negative manner.  I suppose my question is has anyone just had the bottom cargo bay area repainted or is there any alternative.  Since it's a 1998, I thing the bottom has become faded and oxidized. 

The bottom sections, on the coach, are made of fiberglass and its paint does seems to deteriorate faster, when compared to the body's metal sections.
I see the same problems on our 2003 LD and other older rigs and have contemplated painting the lower sections and replacing the wide stripping. 
The upper sections, like yours, still look fine.
Let us know how it turns out.

Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #2
I had only the red portions (not the white parts) of my 2003 midbath repainted by the factory two years ago. (See before and after photos.) They did a superb job for $7,500. I'm sure it could be done more cheaply in Mexico. Could it be done as perfectly? I don't know.
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"

Reply #3
I had only the red portions (not the white parts) of my 2003 midbath repainted by the factory two years ago. (See before and after photos.) They did a superb job for $7,500. I'm sure it could be done more cheaply in Mexico. Could it be done as perfectly? I don't know.

The campground where I go in Mexico has a pretty reputable painter.  Additionally, the manager of the park inspects the job for a sort of "quality control."  Not often, but sometimes he has the painter come back and re-do a spot.  Kristin (from Alaska) who also has a Lazy Daze had her tow car repainted and some body work done a couple of years ago.  I think she was quite happy with the results.

I don't think I'd opt for painting the upper part of the rig, but since the paint isn't as "special" as the top part I'm going to opt to do it this coming fall/winter.
Cheryl (a.k.a. Desert Diva)
1998 Lazy Daze (26.5 mid-bath)
2002 Honda CR-V