Skip to main content
Topic: Portable Braking Systems for Toads (Read 196 times) previous topic - next topic
Portable Braking Systems for Toads
Looking through the archives, I have not seen any recent reviews on Portable Breaking Systems for towing, Either piston or electric.

Anyone have experience with the Ready Brake Supplemental Break (Basically a Surge Break).

Looking to occasionally tow.

Thank you,

Tom

corrected spelling of "braking" in topic title - Michelle
2015 MB

Re: Portable Braking Systems for Toads
Reply #1
I considered it and rejected it for our Honda Fit, both because routing the activation cable would be extremely difficult or impossible for effective operation, and because the concept does not provide for a breakaway mode. Also, by itself or incorporated in the towbar, it adds about 14" or so to the tow length compared to other towbar/braking setups. If still interested, let us know what vehicle your toad will be, for more relevant comments.

Steve
2004 FL
2013 Honda Fit

Reply #2
We also would be interested in seeing what others have to say on this topic.  We have a KIA Soul...affectionately named "Frog"...for which we need to purchase a towing dolly.  We've been told that we should get one with surge brakes; however, would like to see if there is a consensus on what is best.
thanks,
Cyn

Reply #3
A Ready Brake requires a straight pathway from the tower to the toad's brake pedal.
Most front wheel drive cars have the transmission in the way.

Most will try to talk you out of using a dolly. Besides the extra weight of the dolly, you now have and extra vehicle-like thing to deal with at the campsite.
They can be a real PIA and you will find few that continue to RV frequently and use them. Most eventually find a car that can be flat towed. They are not a common sight in most areas.

Some form of brake is legally required and most dollys use a surge brake.

If changing to a more suitable toad isn't an option, I would rent a dolly and and take a trial trip, before buying.

Larry

Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #4
I started towing when I got my L.D. in 2004. First it was a Honda Civic. When I seen a need for better ground clearance I moved up to a CRV. On both of those vehicles my choice of braking systems was the SMI Stay-In-Play.

STAY-IN-PLAY DUO Braking System

Yes, I tow four wheels down and this thread is "Portable..." However, for what it's worth, I never have to move the system, in or out. It's wired in permanently and I turn it on or off with a toggle switch. How much more simple can that be?

Tow dolly??? You're kidding, right? Why add a third vehicle, plus license and insurance?

Steve S.
Lazy Bones & Cedar
Steve S.
Lazy Bones & Cedar
2004 30'IB (Island Bed)
Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery
Live for the day!

Reply #5
I have been using the Ready Braking system for 5 years.  I have it setup on both my HHR and Wrangler.  It has worked with no problems.  Happily I never had to test the brake away system, but it was easy to install. 
Travel safe.  Steve
Former 2010 RB owners; now Newmar Baystar

Reply #6
Classic Brake Buddy does the trick for us in our 07 Subaru Forester. Subaru's are awesome toads for flat towing as you pretty much hook up and go.

I'm probably up for a new vehicle this year or next and it seems that the Subaru Crosstrek is the old Forester in size and ground clearance but they have some funky colors, sheesh!

PS - You need the manny tranny.
Ruby, the red 2004 26' RK hauling Dave and Kristine hither and yon

Reply #7
I'm probably up for a new vehicle this year or next and it seems that the Subaru Crosstrek is the old Forester in size and ground clearance but they have some funky colors, sheesh!
You know you want the orange... just do it... ;-)
Currently: 2008 36' Tiffin Open Road
Previously: 2007 Mid Bath

Reply #8

I'm probably up for a new vehicle this year or next and it seems that the Subaru Crosstrek is the old Forester in size and ground clearance b
PS - You need the manny tranny.
Don't wait too long, Subaru may drop the manual transmission since the CVT transmission gets better mileage .

Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #9
Don't wait too long, Subaru may drop the manual transmission since the CVT transmission gets better mileage .

Larry

Yeah, I heard that!!!

Reply #10
You know you want the orange... just do it... ;-)

I already have a red and white RV which garners plenty of comments as there are few to none others way out here on the plains!