Skip to main content
Topic: Of small inverters, cigarette plugs and converters (Read 139 times) previous topic - next topic
Of small inverters, cigarette plugs and converters
Okay, we have a small 300 watt modified SW inverter used for laptop charging and whatnot through the 12V socket while dry camping. I am aware of the limitations of the socket truly leading to a top wattage around 100 watts. However, I've always wondered about attaching the inverter to the converter panel to gain use of the full 300 watts but haven't done it as I'm not sure that it would do any good or may harm the converter. Can anyone set me straight?

Thanks, Dave
Ruby, the red 2004 26' RK hauling Dave and Kristine hither and yon

Re: Of small inverters, cigarette plugs and converters
Reply #1
No worries about doing it. As long as you observe polarity. You may find connecting to the battery allows more convenient placement of the inverter. For instance, on a MB, it's a short cable run from the battery to behind the drivers seat where the inverter can be mounted out of the way.
Don & Dorothy
Sold our LD in June of 2023

Our boring always non-PC travel blog
Traveling Dorothy

Re: Of small inverters, cigarette plugs and converters
Reply #2
No worries about doing it. As long as you observe polarity.
Connecting to the fuse panel, in the converter,  will allow full output of the inverter.
Do make sure to use an inline fuse, in the positive cable , if connecting to the battery.
A 300 watt inverter would use a 10-gauge supply wire and a 30-amp fuse, for full output.

Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze