Skip to main content
Topic: Water pump (Read 435 times) previous topic - next topic
Water pump
It looks like I am finally going to replace my water pump. I have a 2008 mid bath so have an old Shurflo Smart Sensor 5.7 water pump. Is the Revolution 2008 still suggested as a replacement?  If not what are some other suggestions?

Thanks for your help!
Pam
2008 MB

Re: Water pump
Reply #1
I am also in the process of exchanging my water pump (see post "Recalcitrant Water Pump").

I will be removing the eleven year old Smart Sensor 5.7 (Extreme Series) due to failure. I could have purchased the 1048 which is said to be a direct replacement for the 5.7 but decided instead to go with the 4008-101-E65. I hope it's going to work but will not know until it's installed.

Steve S.
Lazy Bones & Cedar
Steve S.
Lazy Bones & Cedar
2004 30'IB (Island Bed)
Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery
Live for the day!

Reply #2
OOppps...

My bad, that should have been model 4048 (not 1048) as in my last post. It's hard to keep all these part numbers in one's head.

Steve S.
Lazy Bones & Cedar
Steve S.
Lazy Bones & Cedar
2004 30'IB (Island Bed)
Live for the day!

Reply #3
Shurflo is as good as any water pump. You can do as well, getting what ever is stocked and on-sale at any farm supply store. It's an electric motor spins an impeller folks - the technology has long since been settled. The problem with the variable flow Surflo was a "smart" circuit board. Keep it simple. The 4008 does the job. Ours has been spinning around for eight years without a glitch. More than enough output to shower and do dishes at the same time.

We carry a spare pump, another 4008. And it serves a purpose.
Don & Dorothy
Sold our LD in June of 2023

Our boring always non-PC travel blog
Traveling Dorothy

Reply #4
The 4008 is what most install. It produces a 3 GPM output and has proven itself as long lasting pump.
The 4048 is a higher output pump with a 4 GPM output. It's usage is less common in LDs.

Carrying a spare is always a good idea.

Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #5
It's an electric motor spins an impeller folks - the technology has long since been settled.

I don't believe any of the shurflo pumps use an impeller. A system of cam-driven sequential diaphragms and check valves provide the force, which is why there is pulsation in the flow.

Steve
2004 FL
2013 Honda Fit

Reply #6
Correct. These are diaphragm pumps. But Don's main point remains true: the mechanics of RV water pumps have been pretty much standardized for many years. It seems to be the frills they add--flow sensors, electronic control boards and so on--that cause most of the problems.
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"

Reply #7
I don't believe any of the shurflo pumps use an impeller. A system of cam-driven sequential diaphragms and check valves provide the force, which is why there is pulsation in the flow.
The commonly used RV water pumps are all axial diaphragms pumps.
Their built-in check valves retrain the system's pressure, when the pump is not operating. Multiple diaphragms help smooth water flow.

In our LDs you will normally find centrifugal, impeller-type pumps used in the engine's water pump, the fuel pumps , the windshield washer and, if you own one,  in sewage macerators pumps.

The variable speed pumps suffered from poor electronics and, in my experience, poor construction.
I found several with internal leaks, either into the motor or between the pump housing and motor.
Really learned to hate the variable speed pumps which is too bad since they are a good idea that never got the proper development.
Years ago, the Whisper King was the go-to, reliable pump. Today the 4008 has taken its place.

Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #8
Now that I've finally finished the replacement of my old intermittent Smart Sensor 5.7 with the newer 4008 everything is back to near normal. Had to adjust the pressure to keep the new pump from surging but that went well.

In conjunction with all of that I noticed that the flow from the kitchen faucet was not as smooth as it had been in the past. When I disassembled the output filter pack I found extremely fine debris in the screens. That had to have come through the inline filter, located prior to the pump itself. Considering that the inline filter has very fine screens I was surprised that anything got through to the faucet. Live and learn!   :o
Steve S.
Lazy Bones & Cedar
2004 30'IB (Island Bed)
Live for the day!

Reply #9
When I disassembled the output filter pack I found extremely fine debris in the screens. That had to have come through the inline filter, located prior to the pump itself. Considering that the inline filter has very fine screens I was surprised that anything got through to the faucet. Live and learn!   :o

Since water often sits in the system for awhile, hard water has time to mineralize out as deposits. What you found may have been dissolved when flowing through the filter, later precipitating out.

Steve
2004 FL
2013 Honda Fit

Reply #10
That does sound logical Steve! But this problem came on suddenly, just about the time the water pump started it's intermittent B.S.  Could the two events be related? Debris in the fresh water tank causing both the pump and the faucet to go haywire???   :-\
Steve S.
Lazy Bones & Cedar
2004 30'IB (Island Bed)
Live for the day!

Reply #11
That does sound logical Steve! But this problem came on suddenly, just about the time the water pump started it's intermittent B.S.  Could the two events be related? Debris in the fresh water tank causing both the pump and the faucet to go haywire???   :-\

When I winterize, you would be surprised just how much crud gets blown out of the freshwater system and we rarely camp in the SW hard water areas.
If you really want to clean out the lines,faucets, etc.,  use compressed air as if you were winterizing.
Ed

Reply #12
I have a 03 26.5 midbath, can anyone tell me where the waterpump is located?
Thanks, Rodney