Skip to main content
Topic: Lazy Daze at the drive in (Read 208 times) previous topic - next topic
Lazy Daze at the drive in
I just wanted to share a fun experience that my family had this week......we took our Lazy Daze to the drive in movies!  The Blue Fox drive-in on Whidbey Island is about a two hour drive from our house.  We have been there a few times, our kids love going.  We usually take our Honda Fit, and fold down the front seats, it is the perfect size for our family (two adults, two young kids).  This week we planned on going to the drive in with an extra (12yo) kid, and felt that the Honda would not be the best car to take.   After looking at the drive-in's website we found out that they allow RV's.....also, they allow over night parking!  We called ahead just to make sure we would be permitted to stay etc....   with the all clear given, we got the LD and headed out for another fun adventure.     We have a mid-bath, so backing into our spot at the drive-in gave us lots of windows to see the movie easily.  The sound for the movie comes from a chanel on the radio, so the speakers are right there.  Also, in our mid-bath we have the optional table (as in the TK model) so we chose to have one twin bed down with a table (for all of our popcorn and soda) and one side we left the couch up.  Our only concern with the Lazy Daze was being able to see the movie with the tinted windows.   The fact that we were watching a couple of bright kids movies was a help.  We definitely could see everything that was going on, even in the darker parts of the movie, but I think a movie that took place mostly in the dark, would be challenging to see.  Overall we had a great time, and after we left the next morning we decided to stay at Deception Pass campground for a couple of days (once we get into our Lazy Daze we hate to get out of it 😉)

-Rebecca
2016 MB
Rebecca in WA
2016 mid-bath
"Ramirez"

Re: Lazy Daze at the drive in
Reply #1
That is neat used to take pick up trucks but never an RV. That would be a great set up and then retire for the night.. Have watched the Fireworks at Ocean City Md with all the grandchildren Looking out the window in the over cab bed in a older Tioga class C several years back. That was neat as well.

Reply #2
Rebecca that's so cool. Glad you all enjoyed the movie in the comfort of your home on wheels  ;)

Cynthia
Daughter of the first Lazy Bones
Hitting the road on my own and with a friend 🚐 while reporting back to the Lazy Bones at home 🛋

2 Lazy Bones - Home

Reply #3
Shows you how much I know. I had no idea that Drive-Ins still exist. Let alone allow you to take your LD to.

In their hay-day, there were at least four Drive-In Theatres in my home town of Long Beach, Ca. None exist now. Gobbled up by industry and real estate moguls they disappeared one-by-one until we had to go out of town to find one. And now, those are gone.

A quick search of the web led me to nerve dot com. According to their site, there are currently 338 drive-ins left in America. They are listed by state.

Enter my new Bucket List. Let me at 'em. I hope they all allow RV's. Wouldn't it be fun to have a LD Rally at a few? What a gas.

Kent

2015 27' RB "MissB.Haven"

Reply #4
Never thought of staying overnight in a drive-in movie lot.
Considering you get to see a first run movie, it might be a inexpensive place to stay for a night.
Wonder if any other drive ins allow overnight stays?

Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #5
Larry, it definitely could be inexpensive........      As Kent mentioned, there aren't a lot of drive in's left.    This is a family run business.    Prices are very reasonable.....$6.50 for ages 12 and up, and $1 for kids 11 and under.      They ask that you don't bring outside food in, and since we like being able to go to the drive in, we want to support their business so we buy popcorn, soda etc there (a large soda is big enough for our family to share). 😳  PLUS you get two movies for that price (drive in means double feature).   As for spending the night, this is the first time that we have done that, this particular place has a house on the premises - so maybe that's why they allow you to stay....not too sure.   The only other 'plan ahead' advice I have about staying at a drive in, is don't expect to be level....drive ins have tiny hills to tilt your car so you can see better.   (We actually chose to go to the back, and found a level spot, but had an empty fridge just in case we needed to turn it off for the night)

-Rebecca

Rebecca in WA
2016 mid-bath
"Ramirez"

Reply #6
FYI  The Mission Tiki Drive-In is just down the street from the Mothership. It's in Pomona, accepts campers (not so sure abou LD's but you can always call ahead) and you can bring your own food and lawn chairs (which works for us due to our RB).

Looks like a good run of movie titles too.

What luck.

Kent
2015 27' RB "MissB.Haven"