Skip to main content
Topic: Television Replacement (Read 740 times) previous topic - next topic
Television Replacement
We have a '01 RK with an entertainment center and the original analog TV.  We're not TV watchers but do like to look at DVD movies.  I noticed on our last big trip that the old TV/DVD player setup takes a lot of power so we essentially can't use it boondocking.

We've decided to replace the system with a new system and would appreciate recommendations. 

Thanks
Bob & Cathy in Turtle, '01 RK 

Re: Television Replacement
Reply #1
Most TVs these days are LED, but make certain this is the case with whatever you get. LED refers to the illumination source for an LCD screen, and they are far more power efficient than fluorescent-illuminated LCD screens. If you have the room, and will run on an inverter, I would recommend a separate TV and low-end name-brand BluRay player. This will play Blurays, DVDs, CDs, and typically any media on a USB source, such as a memory stick or portable hard drive.

Steve
2004 FL
2013 Honda Fit

Reply #2
Most TVs these days are LED, but make certain this is the case with whatever you get. LED refers to the illumination source for an LCD screen, and they are far more power efficient than fluorescent-illuminated LCD screens. If you have the room, and will run on an inverter, I would recommend a separate TV and low-end name-brand BluRay player. This will play Blurays, DVDs, CDs, and typically any media on a USB source, such as a memory stick or portable hard drive.

Steve

Thank you, Steve.  OK LED.  Our old analog is powered off an inverter that came with rig in '01.  Do you know about how much power a LED TV and BluRay Player might draw?

Bob,
'01 RK

Reply #3
should be a tag on the back of the old tv that states the watts needed to power the TV.   The draw of a new LED TV that will fit in the space should be much less than what the old inverter needed to power the old TV.   Take a photo of the tag on the back of the old tv and compare it with the spec sheets on the potential purchase.
I do not know if inverters have a shelf life (due to heat) perhaps someone can speak to that issue.  Perhaps there is a way to check if the inverter is still up to snuff.  Now would be a good time to check.
Currently: 2008 36' Tiffin Open Road
Previously: 2007 Mid Bath

Reply #4
Thank you, Steve.  OK LED.  Our old analog is powered off an inverter that came with rig in '01.  Do you know about how much power a LED TV and BluRay Player might draw?

Our home blu-ray says 8.8 Watts (we don't use one in the rig). Our 22" Vizio TV in the rig uses a max of about 2 Amps from 12V, i.e. about 24 Watts. I'm sure your old inverter has more than enough headroom for both units.

Steve
2004 FL
2013 Honda Fit

Reply #5
Hi Bob. I have a recent 24" class Samsung LED, LCD TV and I measured its power consumption with a Kil-o-watt meter. With the backlight at maximum and at full volume power use was 27 watts. With the back light at 75%, and a reasonable volume level, usage was 19 - 22 watts. That's about how much power a one bulb incandescent light, that your rig came with, uses. The back panel label rating which is a' worst case' maximum was 14 VDC, at 3.21 Amps. That is 45 watts, way more than I measured. Add to that the inverter overhead, and the batwing amplifier power and it should still be under 30 watts. If your old '01 TV had a picture tube, it's power use was way higher than 30 watts. When I got my '99 TK I used a 9" tube TV with a built in VHS tape player. How things have changed! RonB
RonB (Bostick) living in San Diego
Original owner of "Bluebelle" a '99 TKB

Reply #6
Thanks for info on TV, Ron.  That sounds wonderful.  Our old analog / picture tube TV and DVD player (along with other normal loads) would run our battery down to about 50% on 1 movie?  We like to boondock and when it's cloudy the solar doesn't help...

I'm guessing the LD inverter probably uses 1 - 2 amps.?  I'm assuming if I go with a 12V TV, the overall system would take less power (no inverter to power).  Anybody know?

Has anyone installed a new LED TV in a LD with an entertainment center?  I think my old TV is a 19".  I'd like to go larger.  I wonder if I could put ~ a 24" on a arm that could fold up to allow access to cabinets or something like that.

I wonder if my antenna will work?  I assume there is a analog to HD converter in there somewhere.

Anybody know of a shop that could handle a conversion like this in the Portland, OR area?

Any thoughts from anyone would be appreciated.

Bob, '01 RK

Reply #7
Has anyone installed a new LED TV in a LD with an entertainment center?  I think my old TV is a 19".  I'd like to go larger.  I wonder if I could put ~ a 24" on a arm that could fold up to allow access to cabinets or something like that.

I wonder if my antenna will work?  I assume there is a analog to HD converter in there somewhere.

Anybody know of a shop that could handle a conversion like this in the Portland, OR area?

Any thoughts from anyone would be appreciated.

Bob, '01 RK

Bob, we put a 26" Vizio LED TV in our friends 07 RK and had no problem. Your antenna should have no issue as it will receive digital or analog signal.

We put a 29" LED in a friends 30' IB which previously had the old tube TV with VHS player. It was installed in the entertainment center on an articulating arm and when traveling the TV is rotated 90 degrees and secured with a bungee. I believe that Chris Horst did a similar installation with a 26".

Jim

Reply #8
Bob, we put a 26" Vizio LED TV in our friends 07 RK and had no problem. Your antenna should have no issue as it will receive digital or analog signal.

We put a 29" LED in a friends 30' IB which previously had the old tube TV with VHS player. It was installed in the entertainment center on an articulating arm and when traveling the TV is rotated 90 degrees and secured with a bungee. I believe that Chris Horst did a similar installation with a 26".

Jim
http://www.lazydazeowners.com/index.php?action=media;sa=album;in=173
This is a link to photos in the Media>albums section of the installation of a Vizio TV to replace the 20" Sony in the entertainment area of our '02 30'. It has worked perfectly. I particularly like being able to swing it in either direction or up and down, depending on where we are viewing in the lounge area of the 30'.
Chris
Formerly: 2002 30' IB

Reply #9
http://www.lazydazeowners.com/index.php?action=media;sa=album;in=173
This is a link to photos in the Media>albums section of the installation of a Vizio TV to replace the 20" Sony in the entertainment area of our '02 30'. It has worked perfectly. I particularly like being able to swing it in either direction or up and down, depending on where we are viewing in the lounge area of the 30'.
Chris

Chris,

Wow, that looks wonderful.  The pictures are fantastic.  Can I hire you?

What is the make / model of the mount?
Is the Vizio a 12 or 120 volt?  A 26"?  Make / model? 
What is the foam looking stuff behind the upper 2X4?
Did you install wood runners to attach the 2X4s to?
What's the black paint for?
Have a DVD player?

Bob, '01 RK

Reply #10
Chris,

BOB, SEE COMMENTS IN CAPS.

Wow, that looks wonderful.  The pictures are fantastic.  Can I hire you? NO, NOT FOR HIRE! MY B-I-L HELPED ME WITH THE INSTALL.

What is the make / model of the mount? IT'S AN OMNI MOUNT. DON'T BELIEVE IT'S AVAILABLE ANYMORE. THE ACTUAL MOUNTING PIECE ROTATES WHICH WAS IMPORTANT FOR STORING/SECURING THE VIZIO PERPENDICULARLY WHILE TRAVELING. OMNIMOUNT HAS A WEBSITE (OMNIMOUNT.COM) AND MAY STILL OFFER SOMETHING SIMILAR. I CAN PROBABLY GET THE MODEL # OFF THE UNIT WHEN I GO TO STORAGE. LET ME KNOW IF YOU NEED IT.
Is the Vizio a 12 or 120 volt?  A 26"?  Make / model?  120V; 26", BASIC VIZIO AVAILABLE AT COSTCO AT THE TIME (2010).
What is the foam looking stuff behind the upper 2X4? IF YOU LOOK AT THE PHOTO WHERE THE SPACE IS TOTALLY EMPTY, YOU WILL SEE A HORIZONTAL PIECE OF CLOTH-COVERED SOMETHING AT THE REAR. THAT PIECE CUSHIONED THE BACK ORIGINAL TUBE TV. THAT MAY BE WHAT YOU THOUGHT WAS A PIECE OF FOAM.
Did you install wood runners to attach the 2X4s to? NO. THEY ARE SCREWED DIRECTLY INTO THE SIDES (WALLS) OF THE TV CAVERN. THERE MAY BE SOME STUDS THERE. THEY WERE PLACED STRATEGICALLY BY MEASURING HOW FAR I WANTED THE OMNIMOUNT TO EXTEND PAST THE OPENING.
What's the black paint for? NOTHING. I THINK IT'S OVERSPRAY FROM ORIGINAL CONSTRUCTION.
Have a DVD player? YES, A SONY BLU-RAY WHICH I STORE AND CONNECT TO THE TV WHEN I WANT TO USE IT.

Bob, '01 RK

Reply #11
Chris,

Thank you:-) 

B-I-L?

I visited the Omni site.  Didn't see anything that looked like your picture but do you think the PLAY20 will work:   OmniMount PLAY20 Monitor Arm TV Wall Mount

Looks like Vizio doesn't make a 26" anymore. Have a 24" and a 28".  The 28" is 25.1" W X 19.3" H & 9.1 LB.  Looking at yours, do you think a 28" would work?  Of course there are other brands.  Don't make a special trip to check.

Thank you very much for your help.  It makes the overwhelming (to me) project a little less daunting :-)

Bob, '01 RK

Reply #12
Chris,

On studying the mount closer, I assume I want an articulated arm (that would allow to pull the TV out a little) and I'm not sure the PLAY20 swivels.  Maybe this would be a better mount:
OmniMount ULPC-S Full Motion Swivel TV Wall Mount

Bob

Reply #13
Hi Bob. Amazon has an articulated wall mount by WALI the WL-1330LM. Costs $12.99, that looks like it will work for you. It has a rotate and tilt function. HTH RonB.
RonB (Bostick) living in San Diego
Original owner of "Bluebelle" a '99 TKB

Reply #14
I just use my TV to watch Blueray/DVD's and Netflix (since I have unlimited data on my Verizon account). 

Here's the configuration I bought from Amazon.com:

Samsung UN22F5000 22-Inch 1080p 60Hz LED HDTV (2013 Model) - $167.99

Samsung BD-F5700 Wi-Fi Blu-Ray Player (2013 Model) - $79.00

VideoSecu TV Wall Mount Articulating Arm Tilt Swivel Bracket for most 15-27" TV Monitor Display VESA 100X100 75X75 up to 33LBS ML15B A28 - $19.99

Cheryl
1998 Lazy Daze (26.5 mid-bath)
2002 Honda CR-V
Cheryl (a.k.a. Desert Diva)
1998 Lazy Daze (26.5 mid-bath)
2002 Honda CR-V

Reply #15

As usual, I will descent from advocating for any device that is not 12 volt powered. Inverters may be required for some devices, but there are TV's that are native 12 volt. Jensen is one. Our 2007 came with one and we replaced it with a larger one. 

Inverters have a "toll charge", up to 20% loss of power. I advocate for 12 volt devices when ever possible.

Here's one.

As an Amazon Associate Lazy Daze Owners' Group earns from qualifying purchases.
Don & Dorothy
Sold our LD in June of 2023

Our boring always non-PC travel blog
Traveling Dorothy

Reply #16
Chris,

On studying the mount closer, I assume I want an articulated arm (that would allow to pull the TV out a little) and I'm not sure the PLAY20 swivels.  Maybe this would be a better mount:

Bob
Bob, b-i-l = brother-in-law. To set up the same type system I have, you need to have a mount that not only articulates in and out and swivels side to side,  but one where the mounting plate rotates 360* (or at least 180*) when it is attached to the TV. The one above doesn't appear to do that. Why don't you call the Omnimount factory (or other suppliers) and ask them if they still make such a beast. Tomorrow I will see if I can find the model # of my rotating mount and will email yo with it. Also, you want to make sure the end where the mount plate is tilts up and down or you will get distortions on the TV. 
Chris

Reply #17
Chris,

On studying the mount closer, I assume I want an articulated arm (that would allow to pull the TV out a little)

That is the style of mount I have used in several TV installations. Oversize TVs can be installed if you don't mind having the two cabinet doors a little inconvenient to access.  The rotating variety mount is a rare find,  I have not seen one, except for Chris's.

To install the mount, I reinforce one of the walls, in the TV cabinet, with 3/4" plywood to die the wall the strength needed to support the weight, especially when banged around on rough roads. You want this wall to be securely tied into the frame of the entertainment's cabinet. Bolt through the reinforced wall with 1/4" hardware and use a metal backing plate or fender washers.
You need to play around with the mount's location to provide room to pull the TV out, for accessing the side cabinets or the storage area behind the TV.  Use the area blocked by the TV for items not regularly used.
New storage space behind LCD TV | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Don't cheap out on the mount, it is going to get hammered in ways the manufacturer never dreamed of.
Install an eye-screw, on each side of the TV, and use a strong bungee to hold the TV place, while traveling.

And, as Don point out, a 12-volt powered TV is going to use less power overall.  They are hard to find but may be worth the search if you watch a lot of TV.  Whatever set you buy, do look at the specification plate, on the back of the TV to verify it's actual consumption, rather than depending on published specs.

Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #18
Bob, b-i-l = brother-in-law. To set up the same type system I have, you need to have a mount that not only articulates in and out and swivels side to side,  but one where the mounting plate rotates 360* (or at least 180*) when it is attached to the TV. The one above doesn't appear to do that. Why don't you call the Omnimount factory (or other suppliers) and ask them if they still make such a beast. Tomorrow I will see if I can find the model # of my rotating mount and will email yo with it. Also, you want to make sure the end where the mount plate is tilts up and down or you will get distortions on the TV.
Chris
Bob, the Omnimount mount # I used is: CL-S small VESA Cantilever Flat Panel Mount ULN# OM10033  PN# CL-S = L27-1003573
Chris

Re: Television Replacement Mount
Reply #19
Chris,

Thanks.  I looked up your mount and there are some available on Amazon but 1 ad said there is a newer model mount now:  OmniMount OC40FM Full M otion TV Mount:
OmniMount OC40FM Swing Arm TV Mount

Maybe I should buy the TV first.?  Turtle, our LD, is in the shop right now.  When I get it home, I'll do some scheming and figure out what TV I want and what is available.  Once I decide on the TV, I can buy the mount and go from there.  The project will push my skills/knowledge envelop but that could be a good thing.? :-)

Thank you, again.  I hope you realize how much this helps me:-)

Bob, '01 RK

Re: Television Replacement Mount
Reply #20
Chris,

Thanks.  I looked up your mount and there are some available on Amazon but 1 ad said there is a newer model mount now:  OmniMount OC40FM Full M otion TV Mount:

Maybe I should buy the TV first.?  Turtle, our LD, is in the shop right now.  When I get it home, I'll do some scheming and figure out what TV I want and what is available.  Once I decide on the TV, I can buy the mount and go from there.  The project will push my skills/knowledge envelop but that could be a good thing.? :-)

Bob, '01 RK
Glad to help, Bob. I went to the link and watched the video clip for the OC40FM. It does extend and swivel, but when they showed the rotating function, which the voice over person called "leveling", the TV only rotated slightly each way. So...if you are looking for a mount that truly rotates like the one I used, you may want call and find out if this one really rotates 180*. And I'm not sure this one articulates (extends) as far as mine does, but I couldn't verify that without measuring mine.
Chris

Reply #21
Chris,

Bob, '01 RK

I went on Youtube and found this. It looks like it was posted in 2011: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fWRps0eOMUQ

Reply #22
Bob, we just bought this one. It uses 2.6 amps per hour according to specs but I have not measured it myself. I want you see what DVD draws vs TV.  These are a bit more $ but are made for marine use and are robust on the 12V side.

This company also sells mounts, and they are beefy! The TV is amazingly light, but the mount amazingly heavy!

Paul
'92 Mid Bath

Reply #23

Ruby was burglarized in storage in about 2007 and they stole the 15 inch Sharp TV. I replaced it with a Naxa 19 inch and it just fits the TV area on our 2004 RK ( the first year they put flat panels in LD's).

We don't watch much TV on the road, usually the local news, always entertaining :)  but it has held up over these nine years just fine through 120 degrees or whatever the temp in summer storage to -10 degrees. They seem super cheap now as seen below. The picture is mediocre so if you're a media-phile stay away.

Naxa TV at Amazon, not sure what model I have

As an Amazon Associate Lazy Daze Owners' Group earns from qualifying purchases.
Ruby, the red 2004 26' RK hauling Dave and Kristine hither and yon

Reply #24
When my NTSC convertor (remember those!) failed I replace the 15" flat screen Sharp in our 04MB with a 19" Jensen.  It fit perfectly with only a minor change to the extendable mount.  No problems with it for many years.