Skip to main content
Topic: Brake Caliper Dust Covers (Read 149 times) previous topic - next topic
Brake Caliper Dust Covers
I took my '01 RK in for some maintenance and the they recommended I change my brake calipers because the dust covers are cracked and damaged.  They said this allows dirt and water to enter the calipers which will cause them to rust and stick.  They want $1,800 to change the calipers.

This hasn't been mentioned by other shops before.  Wouldn't dirt and water get into the calipers via the opening for the rotors?  What do folks recommend?

Bob
Turtle, '01 26.5' RK

Re: Brake Caliper Dust Covers
Reply #1
I took my '01 RK in for some maintenance and the they recommended I change my brake calipers because the dust covers are cracked and damaged.  They said this allows dirt and water to enter the calipers which will cause them to rust and stick.  They want $1,800 to change the calipers.

This hasn't been mentioned by other shops before.  Wouldn't dirt and water get into the calipers via the opening for the rotors?  What do folks recommend?

Bob

What else are they doing for $1800
New Ford front calipers, for your LD cost about $160, complete with pads, rears are about $130. From Rock Auto.
Of course dealers and shops never charge retail, the prices are always jacked way up to increase the profit margin.

That leaves about $1200 for labor?
Are they replacing the brake rotors? The front rotors often warp and are a common replacement item.
The rear rotors are a little more durable but they too wear out.

A caliper's dust seal is the rubber boot and seal, located on each caliper's pistons, that keep dirt and moisture out and the pressurized hydraulic fluid in. They go bad from age and miles.
IMG_1489 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
If original, replacement is a good idea. The calipers are a minimum of 15 years old.
While it's possible to replace the seal, at a very reasonable price of about $4 each, few mechanics will chance using the old caliper housing, which also wears.
It's something I would have tried 40 years ago to save a few bucks but today, I know better.

If $1800 is for a complete brake job, it isn't a bad price, if only calipers, check around for a better deal.
Brakes | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #2
Bob & Larry--

Thx for an informative discussion...in language fairly comprehensible to my non-mechanic brain.  This sort of vicarious education is really helpful when I talk to my mechanic, so that as he explains things I ask better questions.
Lynne
LDy Lulubelle, Green '05 31' TB
Lilly, the 4-Legged Alarm

Reply #3
Bob

What else are they doing for $1800
New Ford front calipers, for your LD cost about $160, complete with pads, rears are about $130. From Rock Auto.
Of course dealers and shops never charge retail, the prices are always jacked way up to increase the profit margin.

That leaves about $1200 for labor?
Are they replacing the brake rotors? The front rotors often warp and are a common replacement item.
The rear rotors are a little more durable but they too wear out.

A caliper's dust seal is the rubber boot and seal, located on each caliper's pistons, that keep dirt and moisture out and the pressurized hydraulic fluid in. They go bad from age and miles.
IMG_1489 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
If original, replacement is a good idea. The calipers are a minimum of 15 years old.
While it's possible to replace the seal, at a very reasonable price of about $4 each, few mechanics will chance using the old caliper housing, which also wears.
It's something I would have tried 40 years ago to save a few bucks but today, I know better.

If $1800 is for a complete brake job, it isn't a bad price, if only calipers, check around for a better deal.
Brakes | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Larry

Larry,

Thank you very much.  I'll confirm about whether the price was for just the calipers and get a cost estimate for the job from another shop.

I hope you know how much your help means to me:-)

Bob
'01 RK