Skip to main content
Topic: Kwikee electric step repair (Read 231 times) previous topic - next topic
Kwikee electric step repair
Recently the original (14 yrs old) Kwikee electric step began opening and closing sporadically. Often it would stop operating while extended and then a week later would begin working again. Camping World has a satellite collision shop not far from me (Denver area). Its main mechanic, Dave, straightened my step last year after I hit something while it was closed. On a recent trip, the step was stuck extended and despite the "step out" Post-It on my dash, I hit a rock and bent it. Dave straightened it again using a friction jack and diagnosed the problem as a bad motor. The motor was installed today and it works well. Costs: motor: $192 (CW marks it up 30%); labor: 1 hours @ $115; shop supplies/shipping: $30. Total bill: $353. 

Moral of the story: If you are handy (I'm not), you could probably buy a new step on sale for my total bill and install it yourself. Or you could just replace the motor for maybe $150. In any event, if your step starts acting like mine did, check the motor.

Chris
Formerly: 2002 30' IB

Re: Kwikee electric step repair
Reply #1
Chris, Thx for this.  I, too, have a wonky step that needs straightening, though the motor still works.  The step only goes out about half way when I open the door, & doesn't retract fully when the door closes.  The light comes on with the step, but the switch that once kept the step from operating every time the door opens/closes doesn't seem to work now (useful when parked for extended periods).

I'm heading that way to see my aunt the end of the month.  Where is that collision shop/how do I get in touch with Dave?

Thx
Lynne
LDy Lulubelle, Green '05 31' TB
Lilly, the 4-Legged Alarm

Reply #2
If I remember correctly, the factory installed electric step was $300.00  When we ordered our LD I asked Todd what delay time there was in the deployment of the step. He mentioned that it took several seconds to extend completely. That to me was a huge concern.

Actually, I can't recall if the step could be locked in its extended position or if it activated each time the door was opened. In any case, I was not willing to put my DW at risk of a delayed opening of the coach step. One false move or quick step and things could go horribly wrong.

Todd mentioned the fact that there was the red light on the dash to warn me if the step was still out before departure.  That was good enough for me so we went with the manual step. It's out when I extend it and stays put until our departure.

So far, I have kept a close eye on the red light and haven't driven off with the step out.
However, as much as I try, I do forget things (some important) on occasion. Focus, focus.

Heading back to Big Bear day after next with my eye on the light.

Kent

2015 27' RB "MissB.Haven"

Reply #3
Our 2003 LD has an electric step, my wife wouldn't buy an new LD without one.
That said, it hasn't been trouble free.

Problems seen with our step and others.
  The motor is a simple, unsealed electric window motor. The motor can fill with dirt and mud, jamming it up.
If you are lucky, and nothing burned, disassembly and good cleaning can restored operation.

The step's electric plug can corrode. Disassembly of the plug, cleaning of the contacts and then coating the contacts with dielectric grease is the cure and preventative.

The gearbox is not sealed and can fill with dirt and mud, especially if driven in wet and muddy conditions.
In some cases, the gearbox will jam and need to be removed, disassemble and cleaned, to restore operation.

There is a hidden 5-amp fuse, located on the older models inside the wall switch plate. Check it if the door does not operate right.

Mounted on the coach door frame, is a magnetic-reed switch, which signals the control box if the door is open or closed.
This allows the automatic mode, which extends and retracts the step, when using the door. On the screen door you will find the magnetic, that activates the switch, the magnets do break off so make sure it is still in place.
The magnetic-reed switch can go bad and keep the step from extending or retracting. While finding a replacement switch isn't hard, LD left very little excess wire to access, the concept of a service loop is alien to them.

One nice feature is the automatic limit, the step stops extending if it hits something solid, such as a curb.  It does so by sensing a rise in the amperage needed  to power the motor, when the amps surge, the control box shuts the motor off.
It works this way when both extending and retracing.

And then there is the bent step, which a very large percentage of both manual and electric steps suffer from. Seem that almost everyone will forget to retract it and then hit a low lying object.
In most cases, a shop can straighten the arms enough to restore operation as long as the damage is limited to just the arms.
If the step itself or the motor base is badly bent, it's better to start with a fresh step and try to be more careful in the future.

And make sure to periodically spay grease on the pivots and other exterior moving parts, to keep the step operating freely.
Kwikee's own grease works fine as well as most other clinging spray greases.

Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #4
Chris, Thx for this.  I, too, have a wonky step that needs straightening, though the motor still works.  The step only goes out about half way when I open the door, & doesn't retract fully when the door closes.  The light comes on with the step, but the switch that once kept the step from operating every time the door opens/closes doesn't seem to work now (useful when parked for extended periods).

I'm heading that way to see my aunt the end of the month.  Where is that collision shop/how do I get in touch with Dave?

Thx
Lynne, it's a Camping World body shop. The mgr is Pat Butler (303-456-6004) pbutler@campingworld.com 5880 W. 59th Ave. Arvada, CO 80003. I would suggest calling Pat, describe your situation, explain you're visiting and ask if you can pop by and have Dave look at it. He might recognize my name if you associate it with a red/white Lazy Daze and mention my step problem and say I recommended his shop. Both times my step was straightened, Dave did it when I simply stopped by in the LD to see if I needed an appt. Considering there are bunches of RVs sitting around, waiting for attention, I felt very fortunate. BTW, Pat is the boss and Dave seems to be the main mechanic.
Chris

Reply #5
Amazon.com: ALC Keysco 77043 Monkey-On-A-Stick Jack Set: Home Improvement

"And then there is the bent step, which a very large percentage of both manual and electric steps suffer from. Seem that almost everyone will forget to retract it and then hit a low lying object.
In most cases, a shop can straighten the arms enough to restore operation as long as the damage is limited to just the arms. 
If the step itself or the motor base is badly bent, it's better to start with a fresh step and try to be more careful in the future."

The link is to a photo of a friction jack (monkey on a stick) used to straighten the step. It's an amazing tool. 

Chris
As an Amazon Associate Lazy Daze Owners' Group earns from qualifying purchases.

Reply #6

One nice feature is the automatic limit, the step stops extending if it hits something solid, such as a curb.  It does so by sensing a rise in the amperage needed  to power the motor, when the amps surge, the control box shuts the motor off.
It works this way when both extending and retracing.

I wasn't aware of this feature. Guess I should read the step manual.
Chris

Reply #7
The link is to a photo of a friction jack (monkey on a stick) used to straighten the step. It's an amazing tool.

Chris

Thx for the contact info in Arvada...& the link to the picture--it looks somewhat like a ratcheting gizmo my dad called a "come-along" that he used when stretching barbed wire fencing.  So much to learn!   ;D
Lynne

Reply #8
Thx for the contact info in Arvada...& the link to the picture--it looks somewhat like a ratcheting gizmo my dad called a "come-along" that he used when stretching barbed wire fencing.  So much to learn!   ;D
It's much more than a come-long, it works to both push and pull.
A come-a-long can only pull.  Still, it is a very useful tool, if used carefully.
Come-A-Long - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Both of these tools need to be treated with respect. A slip can do a lot of damage to soft, squishy body parts.

I may need to get one of these.
Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #9
Thx, Larry

This is one of the many things I want to >know< about, and though I have an abundance of "soft, squishy body parts," I try to use better judgment than I once did on the modification of such parts...so will leave the actual operation to those with experience.    ;D  
Lynne