Skip to main content
Topic: Re: Microwave replacement or repair (Read 249 times) previous topic - next topic - Topic derived from Microwave replacement
Re: Microwave replacement or repair
Yahoo Message Number: 152724
The microwave in my 2005 FL failed catastrophically during the past week. The model, Dometic DCMW11B.F, is no longer available. Newer LD's use a High Pointe model that won't fit the opening without modification to the cabinets.

Has anyone done the same replacement?  Or know of another microwave that would fit?

Dale

Not sure if this will link to the original thread. Anyway, we have the same microwave in our 06. Tonight it failed to adequately heat up. We were heating popcorn and while the bag got hot it never got hot enough to pop. So, it runs but doesn't seem to be working properly. Earlier something we were cooking in it failed to cook completely and we just assumed we didn't put enough time on the clock, but since it was just veggies we didn't run it back in again.

Any ideas about a possible repair?

If Dale Ellis is still out there did you find a good fit for replacement?

Jim

Reply #1
Not sure if this will link to the original thread. Anyway, we have the same microwave in our 06. Tonight it failed to adequately heat up. We were heating popcorn and while the bag got hot it never got hot enough to pop. So, it runs but doesn't seem to be working properly. Earlier something we were cooking in it failed to cook completely and we just assumed we didn't put enough time on the clock, but since it was just veggies we didn't run it back in again.

Any ideas about a possible repair?

If Dale Ellis is still out there did you find a good fit for replacement?

Jim
Jim, go to messages 144881 and 144886. Also try a search using "microwave replacement" if you haven't already.
Chris
Formerly: 2002 30' IB

Reply #3
I was kinda hoping my microwave would go out  ;) so that I could get this convection microwave as its replacement.

Amazon.com: Convection Microwave Oven - 1.0 Cuft. - Black W/Trim Kit -...

It's expensive at $347.67 and free shipping.

The trim kit may need some "adjusting" to fit in the opening that Lazy Daze provides.
--
Jan Forseth
2007 27' Midbath named Footloose

Re: Re: Microwave replacement or repair
Reply #4
Another option would be this Dometic convection microwave:
Amazon.com: Dometic DCMC11B.F Convection Microwave Oven, Black: Automotive

Less expensive at $267.61 and free shipping. If I were to order this, I'd put in a call to Dometic to verify dimensions; I think they are including the little feet on the bottom of the microwave, which I don't believe would be necessary for the installation in a Lazy Daze.
--
Jan Forseth

Reply #5
The reviews at Amazon would have me thinking hard about this unit. Are the ones that Lazy Daze installs particularly meant for RV use? An ordinary one might not stand up very well to the rigors of the constant "earthquake" effect of RV's.

Virtual hugs,

Judie

Reply #6
Judie,

I doubt that it is ruggedized for RV use.

When we were choosing a microwave for our house, we used a "counter type" and had it built into a cabinet. One needs to provide for ducting in cooling air and exhausting spent air. It wouldn't be good to have the unit simply sucking back in it's pre-heated exhaust!

I sealed up to the vents with foam mounted to the inside of the cabinets with double sided tape - easy. And made the intake/exhaust holes where they don't show underneath. I would do something similar on the LD.

An advantage of counter top style microwaves is that they are more reliable and less expensive than the purpose made built-in ones (probably applies to RV's too). Some have trim kits available for flush mounting. I did have to take off the little rubber feet.
bumper
"Yonder" '05 MB
"WLDBLU" glider trailer

Reply #7
The reviews at Amazon would have me thinking hard about this...

Yup, lots of shipping problems. I would probably give either a try since amazon is so good about returns in the case of a DOA or shipping problem.
--
Jan Forseth

Reply #8
Thanks Chris. I had not found those numbers with my search through the new forum but did find them at the old Yahoo site.

Jim
Interesting. I found them via "search" in this forum. "microwave replacement"
Hope you find something.
Chris
Formerly: 2002 30' IB