Skip to main content
Topic: 06 Spark Plug Replacement Cost (Read 287 times) previous topic - next topic
06 Spark Plug Replacement Cost
So I am looking for info on what I should expect it to cost to replace the plugs? We have 53K on our rig not sure when I will have it done but I don't plan on waiting to 100K per the manual recommendation.

Jim

Re: 06 Spark Plug Replacement Cost
Reply #1
Jim, "Blownoutsparkplugs" changed my plugs last year at about 88k; they used Ford platinum plugs and charged $400.00. The price at the Ford truck center here in the South Bay was about the same. My 2003 (engine manufacture date May 27, 2003; almost its 13th birthday! No worries on this score with a 2006.) had 8-thread plugs; one was a little loose, but all were clean; no carboning and no junk in the holes.

The cost would very likely be cheaper in Oregon; labor costs might be similar to here, but the lack of sales tax is a big plus!
2003 TK has a new home

Reply #2
Ford's scheduled spark plug change occurs at 100,000 miles.
Our 2003 has the older 5-thread head. At 80,000, I started hearing a ticking at startup, when cold and a slight roughness,when warm.  Not wanting to experience a blown spark plug, I changed them early.
The plugs in number 1 and 2 cylinders were both finger tight, the source of the tick.
The plugs themselves looked fine and could have easily gone the full 100,000 miles and then some.

The cause of the spark plug looseness, in our LD, was Ford extremely light recommended low torque of 11-ft/lbs.
After talking with both of the owners of Blownsparkplug, I increased the new torque to 28-ft/lbs, which to my experienced hands, felt proper, not overly tight.

Changing the plugs was simpler than what I expected. Taking the ten minutes to remove the captain chairs provide the elbow room necessary to get at the rear 8 spark plugs. Two plugs are changed from the front (#1 and 2).
The cost was less than $70 for plug and new boots.
The link below has more information on the change.
V10 Spark plug change | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #3
Jim, I had the plugs and coils changed at a Ford dealer. All 10 of them. The engine was running very rough and had no power.
The mileage was 72,000 at the time.
Perhaps I was raped, but it cost 445 for labor and 757 for plugs and coils.
Hope you can get it done for a lot less.
Don & Dorothy
Sold our LD in June of 2023

Our boring always non-PC travel blog
Traveling Dorothy

Reply #4
Jim, I had the plugs and coils changed at a Ford dealer. All 10 of them. The engine was running very rough and had no power.
The mileage was 72,000 at the time.
Perhaps I was raped, but it cost 445 for labor and 757 for plugs and coils.
Hope you can get it done for a lot less.

The shop we were just at in Redding gave me an estimate of $453 but that was just the plugs, if I recall.

Jim

Reply #5
If someone has the time, please explain the high cost of plugs, which are considerably higher than for a Ford F150 for example.  Thanks in advance.

Reply #6
757 for plugs and coils.

Don

Yikes!  The plugs cost Ford about $2 each, plus the rubber boots. That still leaves almost $700 in coils.
Ford dealers seem to very anxious to change all the coils and for the price they get, I can see why. It's a nice profit center.
They have to remove and replace them when the plugs are changed, so no extra labor is involved.

What codes were displayed? I assume one or more CELs (Check Engine Light) codes were set.

While coils do go bad, they are not what is considered to be wear item. In other words, you normally replace them when they go bad.
The V-10s do have coils go that occasionally bad and when they do, it is very noticeable and should set a CEL code in the P300 range (P300s indicate individual cylinder misfire).  BTW- a spare coil is in our parts box.

Wonder if the V-10 have a known problem with coils failures. I can see how they may get hot, sitting in the head, with minimal airflow, due to the very tight engine compartment.
A question for other members, have you had multiple coils go out?
Individually or all at once?

Modern engines are very sensitive to misfires, especially when the fuel is unburnt. Unburned gas can overheat and destroy a catalytic converter.
The oxygen (O2) sensor can detect individual cylinder misfires and even the actual oxygen content of each exhaust pulse.
This information is normally used, by the computer (ECM) to keep each cylinder's fuel-air ratio at the optimum level for emissions and, secondarily, power. Mixture is controlled by the fuel injector pulse width, or how long it is turned on, during each cycle.
A misfire can be caused by many things, a bad plug or coil are common but damaged wiring, a dirty plug or a bad injector can cause the same code.

An inexpensive, handheld scanner is a handy thing to own, even if you do not do your own repairs. The codes do not always indicate what particular parts are bad, rather they point to malfunctions,  with suggestions on where to look or begin troubleshooting. More expensive handheld scanner are capable of charting O2 sensor outputs, very useful in determining if a O2 sensor is function correctly.
Inexpensive Wifi scanners, that plug into the OBDII port, under the dash, and work a smart phone can also be used but I have found them not to be very user friendly or usable in all vehicles.

Larry
Larry

Reply #7
And if you have a scanner that can give you "mode 6" it will tell you what cylinders and how many misfires on each. Very handy. You can pretty well bet that if mode 6 is not showing any misfires on a cylinder the coli is fine.  Only on OBD2 models of course.

Reply #8
If someone has the time, please explain the high cost of plugs, which are considerably higher than for a Ford F150 for example.  Thanks in advance.
Head over to the local Ford dealer and open the hoods on a new F150 and a E350 van.
In the F150, you can see and touch the engine, in the van, not so much.

To change the plugs on a V-10 requires pulling the dog house.
8 out of 10 plugs come out from the interior side. There is a lot of stuff in the way and the access is very restricted.
Highly experienced mechanics who specialize in this task take two hours, us normal types take 4-6 hours.
Multiply that by whatever shop time is running in your area.
The good news is you can run the plugs up to 100,000 miles, as long as the engine is running OK.

If you get the plugs changed at Ford, expect to pay top dollar.

The bottom line, as I have said many times, RVing isn't a cheap lifestyle, assuming you want to keep your equipment in good running condition. Unfortunately, almost everything on an LD's chassis cost two or three times more to service than a car.
And that's after you find a shop willing to work on your LD.
Good that most of us only travel 7-8,000 miles a year, over the long run.

Larry
Larry

Reply #9
Our problem started suddenly just as we entered eastern Oregon. Service of any kind there is rare. We limped to Ashland. I don't recall the numbers now, it was either 2 or 4 coils that were kaput plus 2 or 4 that were in sad shape. Running on six cylinders and top speed was about 40. MPG was about 4. Price was no object to us. Being 3,000 miles from home, I had no desire to price shop and wanted the assurance of nationwide Ford service that if the something went south later and I was a thousand miles away Ford would handle it. It's a different mindset than having work done in your home base.

Jim, your plugs are probably good. Have them do a diagnostic on the coils.
Don & Dorothy
Sold our LD in June of 2023

Our boring always non-PC travel blog
Traveling Dorothy