Skip to main content
Topic: WxToad's Continuing Water Heater Saga (Read 30 times) previous topic - next topic
WxToad's Continuing Water Heater Saga
Yahoo Message Number: 160401
Last winter I posted about the inlet water line to the water heater appeared to be blocked. The tank would fill only at a drop at a time, yet once full, water outflow was fine.

Today I tackled the task of trying to find the blockage. I have an RB with the water heater under the stove and behind the power center. I can "sorta" access the back of the heater through the floor level compartment under the fridge. I say "sorta" because it's a one-handed situation.

Thanks the help of one of those swivel plumber's lock wrench I was able to get the water line disconnected. No problem there.

Between the water line fitting and the right angle piece that connects to the heater itself is another fitting, which I'm sure is the check valve that some folks have mentioned. In any event, for the life of me, I cannot loosen that fitting, nor can I loosen the right-angle elbow that threads into the heater. Just can't seem to get enough leverage to loosen either one of those fittings. I've pulled out the power center as far as possible without disconnecting all the wires - too bad LD is so cheap with their wiring: a little slack in the lines would be very helpful. When I really try to apply some force, the water heater moves a bit so I'm fighting against a not very solid background, if that makes sense.

I sprayed it with WD-40 and will let it sit a few days before I make another attempt.

So anyone, I'm wondering if anyone has any great ideas on how to remove that check valve without removing the heater? Having read that recent post about doing that, I'd rather not if possible.

Thanks.

WxToad (Ted H.) http://www.wxtoad.com

Re: WxToad's Continuing Water Heater Saga
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 160407
I just went through this when installing a bypass kit. I did everything you did then used a cheater extension on my wrench. The fittings finally loosened. Good luck!

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 160421
Thanks, Michael. I don't know what model LD you have, but you must have more room behind the HWH than my RB has. Or did you remove the heater to work on it?

I'll get it eventually, I'm sure.

Thanks, WxToad (Ted H.)

I just went through this when installing a bypass kit. I did everything you did then used a cheater extension on my wrench. The fittings finally loosened. Good luck!

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 160422
I have an '06 RB. I did it with the WH in place by laying on my side with my arms through the cabinet door under the frig. I removed the drawer above the door for more work room. I used a 2ft piece of 1-1/2 inch PVC slipped over the wrench as a cheater. I placed my left hand on the fitting to keep the WH from moving and used my right to move the wrench.

That was last fall. I had to do it over last week due to slow dripping leaks. Anyone installing a Camco bypass kit, use pipe joint compound with the Teflon tape and be careful of cross threading the plastic T fitting.