Skip to main content
Topic: Dometic Refrigerator Recall - Question (Read 34 times) previous topic - next topic
Dometic Refrigerator Recall - Question
Yahoo Message Number: 160311
I was able to check the model and serial number on our Dometic refrigerator and our model requires the Dometic's SBH Kit. My limited understanding is this kit it's a shield of some sort. Since our LD is an '09, I'm hoping the Factory installed this kit. I've posted a picture of our refrigerator in the Photos File under Texas LD 27 MB. I'd surely be appreciative if someone can tell us if this recall has been installed in our home on wheels since we're leaving in the morning for points North.

Ed & Margee '09 MB

Dometic Refrigerator Recall
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 160312
Ed,

As I am currently unable to access the photo files in LWALD, I can not comment on your current refer situation. That being said, there really isn't much to be done before your trip.

I would suggest you follow the simple steps to avoid overheating your unit and inspect for the tell-tell signs of problems as outlined in the current thread.

I have been very interested in this thread myself. I've looked into the monitor system and even installation of a Halon extinguisher in the rear of the fridge (not much room back there so the monitor is the best bet at this point).

Stay level. When I park at a supermarket that offers unlevel parking, I shut the fridge off as I shop. Even though my rig has the latest Dometic fridge, I tend to take the extra step to avoid a calamity. The fridge should be fine while turned off for an hour or so.

Have a great trip.

Kent
2015 27' RB "MissB.Haven"

Re: Dometic Refrigerator Recall
Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 160313
Hello Kent and thanks for your reply. I certainly agree with you about the timing of our trip and this trip. I'm fairly certain the recall kit has been installed as I have continued to search the Internet for pictures of it. However, if I'm wrong (not the first time) we might try to find a RV repair shop that has the kit while we're traveling. Just a half-baked idea for sure. And I wholeheartedly agree with your "stay level" guidance. We usually have the bubble in the middle or at most a half-bubble off.

Btw, we took our LD to a CAT scale after we finished loading and packing, with full propane and gas, 20 gallons of water and so forth. We seem to be balanced nicely fore and aft and well within the axle weights. Total weight with 2 passengers was exactly 12,900 lbs. And of course, tire pressure adjusted accordingly. Take care.

Ed & Margee '09

Dometic Refrigerator Recall
Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 160315
Now this may be completely off base, but a logical, albeit crazy, solution to the evaporative refrigerator would be to mount it on a pivotable base. Maybe even a mild vibration system like a home theatre seat that would "shake things up a bit".

When the fridge is off level it could level itself and the vibrating base would cause the system to circulate the amonia and such.

Crazy thought, huh? Maybe I have too much free time on my hands.

Kent
2015 27' RB "MissB.Haven"

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 160317
Mount the refrigerator on a gimbal, the way marine stoves are.
That should take care of things. It will take a bit more room to accommodate the swinging..
I would put much more secure locks on the upper and lower doors, having one open during a hard left turn could make quite a mess.
If anyone is prone to car sickness, do not let them observe the gimbaled refrigerator, while the LD is moving.

Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 160318
Ed

The photos show that your LD's refrigerator has the bandaid installed.

Relax, I can't remember hearing of a refrigerator fire, in a LD, much less one with the shield installed.
As mentioned before, propane leaks are a bigger hazard, since the potential fuel supply is so large compared to the of amount of hydrogen released by a failed refrigerator.
Most of the time, it is the smell of ammonia or the fluorescent yellow goo, oozing from the bottom of the boiler, that lets you know the game is over.

FYI, learned from experience - wash the yellow goo off before it etches the paint.

Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze